Princess Sale -- Your thoughts

jt58203

For the past month I have been researching prices for the February 3 Caribbean Princess sailing. A couple of weeks ago, several online TAs were offering the $100 deposits, so I called my local TA to ask if her agency was doing this. She told me her agency was having a Princess Sale the week of September 10. She did mention sale, and that there will be $100 deposits and on board credit given. Being this will be my very first cruise I thought I'd feel most comfortable booking through her. Well, in the meantime (just last week), the price of the cheapest balcony went up $150 pp. I was just wondering about Princess Sales--do you think the price will go down to where it was? I'm somewhat flexible on my travel date and only want to pay "so much" for the cruise fare (and I really want a balcony). I see that several sailings before February 3 are less expensive--for the same money I can get a mini-suite. Any thoughts?

o.k. these are just my personal thoughts... I too usually have a price in my mind that I will not go over, so if necessary and you can change the dates of your sailing than go for earlier sailing. My experience has shown that at popular times (like Feb) as cabins sell out the price goes up. It is key to watch how many cabins are still avail. but not everyone can do this. TA say they have a sale, but is it really a sale? Lowering deposit to $100, well great but you have to pay the rest at some time or other. On board credits are great, but again are usually not offered if cabins are selling out.

I have also seen where the prices really go down when the cabins are not selling, but again this is for more less popular itineraries or times.

Key for me is I book for time I want, at the price I am happy with, in a cabin that I am happy in. Then whatever happens happens, note if price goes down before final payment most TA will lower your price without penalty.

enjoy your cruise.

my opinion only

Supply and demand impact the price. Many of Princess' ships sail full. Sailing during the hurricane months especially Sept & Nov, pre and post Holidays (early Nov, early Dec, and early Jan) are usually less expensive for various reasons. An itinerary change may be necessary during hurricane months, many people use their vacation time for late Nov and late Dec holidays so there's not as much demand pre and post these holidays.

Most TA's will adjust your $$ if there is a price drop before final payment is due. Final payment is usually 120 days prior to sail. Sometimes cabins open up because people change their mind and cancel before final payment. Make sure your TA will do an adjustment and not charge any fees if the price of your sailing drops.

The cabins your looking at, balcony and mini-suite, are usually the most sought after in any sailing and sell out more quickly. A possible cost saving strategy is booking a guarantee for the cabin category. That means you will get a cabin in at least this category and the possibly of upgraded to a higher cateory usually within the same cabin class. Cabin classs are by location in the ship. Some people like mid ship locations due to ease of acessing the rest of the ship and the location not feeling as much motion.

As for me, I tend to book with a TA I trust in a cabin location I want. Since the cruiseline's idea of an upgrade may not match my idea of an upgrade I have my reservation marked no upgrade. (Moved to a higher category in the same type of cabin...but not in a location I prefer.) Sorry for the book.

For the past month I have been researching prices for the February 3 Caribbean Princess sailing. A couple of weeks ago, several online TAs were offering the $100 deposits, so I called my local TA to ask if her agency was doing this. She told me her agency was having a Princess Sale the week of September 10. She did mention sale, and that there will be $100 deposits and on board credit given. Being this will be my very first cruise I thought I'd feel most comfortable booking through her. Well, in the meantime (just last week), the price of the cheapest balcony went up $150 pp. I was just wondering about Princess Sales--do you think the price will go down to where it was? I'm somewhat flexible on my travel date and only want to pay "so much" for the cruise fare (and I really want a balcony). I see that several sailings before February 3 are less expensive--for the same money I can get a mini-suite. Any thoughts?

This is a good example of why I always book the cruise I want and the cabin I want directly with Princess to start. This locks in the price while you search for the travel agency offering the best price and on board credits to transfer the booking to. If you had done this you would have had the price locked in prior to the $150 pp increase and then could have transferred the booking to your agency to get the on board credits in September.

Of course, the lowered deposit would not apply because in order to book directly you would have already paid a deposit but a lower deposit isn't a sale just a deferrment of when you pay the money. AND you can get around this by allows buying a future cruise credit while on board each cruise. The cost $100 and act as your deposit for any cruise within 4 years. They also come with their own on board credit depending on the length of the cruise you select.

Usually, when a TA is talking about a "Princess Sale" they are not actually talking about the price of the cruise. The sale usually consists of a lowered deposit and possibly a small shipboard credit. So, the price of the cruise will normally remain the same, and as you found, go higher in the blink of an eye depending on how it is selling sometimes. The final price will be the same, but the lowered deposit keeps you from having to pay out so much when you first book. The shipboard credit is nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

This is a good example of why I always book the cruise I want and the cabin I want directly with Princess to start. This locks in the price while you search for the travel agency offering the best price and on board credits to transfer the booking to. If you had done this you would have had the price locked in prior to the $150 pp increase and then could have transferred the booking to your agency to get the on board credits in September.

Of course, the lowered deposit would not apply because in order to book directly you would have already paid a deposit but a lower deposit isn't a sale just a deferrment of when you pay the money. AND you can get around this by allows buying a future cruise credit while on board each cruise. The cost $100 and act as your deposit for any cruise within 4 years. They also come with their own on board credit depending on the length of the cruise you select.

I am booked on this cruise and check the prices daily. Last week the price did go up $150 for balcony guarantees. I believe the rest of the prices stayed the same.

Bill

My DH and I've been discussing the departure date now and decided a March departure would probably work out better for us. (Sorry Bill, I was looking forward to the Superbowl Party on Feb. 3). We are going someplace warm (Southern Texas) for Christmas and want to cool off a couple of months here before we take a Caribbean cruise (still planning to book the CB). I'm a newbie at this and did not realize that cruises booked on princess.com can later be transferred to a TA. Thanks everyone for their comments/opinions.

Archived