Hurricane season ? When ?

rob6465

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Hurricanes.aspx

Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impending hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe.

Hurricane season starts JUNE 1, and ends NOVEMBER 30. A glance at the calender tells you that's HALF THE YEAR. June and Nov., even tropical storms are a little rare. Hurricanes are unusual in the first and last months, but can happen. [maybe that's why they call it hurricane season, duh] July is normally a little more active. And August and September are the peak months, tailing off in October.

Many worry about cruising during "THE SEASON" but I live on Florida's east coast. I can't crank my house up to 24 knots and steer it away from a hurricane. Ship Captains can and do steer their "house" out of harms way.

Dan

We sailed on Conquest two years ago during Hurricane Dennis. Missed Grand Cayman completely, arrived in Cozumel early, returned to port (NOLA at that time) a day late - had a wonderful time! We did have a period of rough seas thanks to Dennis, but the captain did a great job of keeping us away from the storm. I guess it's telling that Conquest was our second cruise; we just completed our sixth yesterday, and have our seventh booked for February.

Exactly what period is hurricane season ? Also, being that my wife and I are going on Conquest on 9/16 for first time Has anyone ever experienced cancelled ports on Conquest but still had a great time ?

I have been on Conquest before, and am leaving on 8/19 (tomorrow!). Getting a little apprehensive, mainly because I live near Galveston and all my "stuff" will get left behind. Thankfully, I have friends who are willing to come and get the important stuff if Dean barrels its way here.

as for our cruise, 15 of us are going, and some had flights Thursday in order to go. NO WAY are we missing it and seeing what happens here. We have a much better chance of missing the storm with a cruise ship, than evacuating and ending up right where the storm goes anyway.

When we were on the Conquest last time, the seas were too rough to tender into Grand Cayman, we had another day at sea and it was just fine. I prefer to dock somewhere, and I am sure they will find somewhere for us to stop, they make a lot of money on shore excursions:) .

As for hurricane season, we moved to Texas 8 years ago and it does go from June 1 to Novembe 30, but there has been some talk of extending it after that really active season several years ago. Until I moved here, I had no idea when hurricane season was, and had booked several times during hurricane season.

Carnival will do their best to make it an enjoyable trip, their main goal is to get you back as a customer (this is our 10th ride on Carnival), not to just "make money." They are all about pleasing the customer.

It will be a good trip....better than staying home and doing dishes!:D

Archived