Activities in Cococay

house7

Does anyone know if you can wait until you are on the island to pay to use the snorkeling, aqua park and waterslide? I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend the money if the kids get there and decide they want to do a different thing then they picked. At this point my 15 year old is claiming she isn't going in the water because sharks live in the ocean:rolleyes: . Guess I shouldn't have let her watch those Jaws movies:D

thanks

Yes, you can rent the snorkeling equipment once you get on the island, you don't have to reserve it before hand. Even if you have your own equipment, you still need a vest to snorkel on coco cay, its required, so you would have to rent one of those. And you also can "pay" for the aqua park when you get there if you want to go, it just gets added to your seapass account.

I talked with a guy who got bumped by a shark while out in the CoCo roped off area. We did the walk-up and pay snorkeling option, by the way. We had a great time, but just after lunch this fellow had his encounter with what turned out to be a couple of sharks. Lifeguards actually cleared everyone out of the area until they could ride through on the JetSkis and be sure the area seemed clear of sharks. I know, I know... you're wondering if it really was sharks. The lifeguards confirmed it for this guy. Yikes!!

We love CocoCay. If you are going to snorkle, do it first before the crowds. We were a small group. Those who went out early saw more than those that went later in the day.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not one for crowds (pushy ones that is). Is there an age limit for the snorkling?

Thanks for the tip. I'm not one for crowds (pushy ones that is). Is there an age limit for the snorkling?

Agree about snorkling earlier in the day as once it gets crowded (closer in) the water gets cloudier. I went out as far as they will let you go and it was pretty clear out there. Saw the sunken ship and the plane. Also quite a bit of marine life including a manta ray at least 4 feet from wingtip to wingtip. Some folks said that they saw some barracuda but I didn't. Don't think there's any age limit on snorkling as there were a lot of smaller kids doing it closer in to the beach and my 7 year old DGS went with me.

Happy Cruisin..........

Tanker 4

Just got back from EOS .. went to CocoCay... and here's my take on the island, adventures, etc...

The aqua park was tough for my older son, he isn't very athletic ... The floating "blow ups" aren't anchored that great to allow you to get up with ease... IF you wait to get the ticket for this, on the island, there is a good chance that you won't get the time that you want. We waited and we were disappointed. Paid $15/pp for 1 hour. IF you buy on board, both activities, you save $5/pp.

We paid $20/pp for the water slide, which was unlimited, but it is far from the food, etc... so, it was hard for the kids to get there "worth" of the slide.

Husband and younger son did the jet ski adventure. It awas $89/driver and $29/rider and it was worth it.. they went out for 30-45 mins and they had a great time.

The food was "average". Very very crowded and ran out quickly and shut down exactly, if not before, the scheduled time. DO not wait!

Many many shaded areas ... we found a very secluded area by the Jet Ski Adventure area.

Water was GREAT .. but very very shallow. Did not go snorkeling ... a couple kids saw "sting ray" out by the aqua park ... so, it kinda freaked them out.

Have fun and enjoy!

Cococay was the best part of our cruise, food was great and nice beach, here a link to some of the pictures I took last year of cococay. We did not go by the Aqua park but the water by the first beach near the sunkin ship and plane get a little deep I'd say 15 to 20 feet deep so make sure you wear a life vest, but they have guys on jet skis that we help you out if you get into trouble. http://www.panoramio.com/user/520166/tags/Cococay

bahamassig.gif.png

I talked with a guy who got bumped by a shark while out in the CoCo roped off area. We did the walk-up and pay snorkeling option, by the way. We had a great time, but just after lunch this fellow had his encounter with what turned out to be a couple of sharks. Lifeguards actually cleared everyone out of the area until they could ride through on the JetSkis and be sure the area seemed clear of sharks. I know, I know... you're wondering if it really was sharks. The lifeguards confirmed it for this guy. Yikes!!

This too happened to me last summer while on the Mariner. I was hanging out in the aqua park (roped off) and as you know it's deeper water and dark too, when I felt something brush up against my leg pretty hard. From my experience scuba diving and growing up around the ocean I knew what it was. Then it happened again to another parent. We told the staff/lifeguards and they said that they do in fact get sharks in that area every once in awhile but didn't clear out anyone. I was very uncomfortable after that as you can imagine. I will be back there with my sons in September while on two Sovereign cruises (we're doing a B2B) and ohhhh I wish we were going to Labadee,,,I like it there much better.

EEk! I'm glad I read about the sharks AFTER our trip to Coco Cay! We had just finished watching Shark Week on Discovery channel, and that was bad enough.

While the area close to shore seemed to get murky later in the day, the deeper area by the airplane, etc. was fine.

Maggie

I won't be in CocoCay until January of 2009, but YIKES! We were on Disney's private island in the Bahamas a few years ago. DH said he saw a small shark and a baracuda, but I thought he was just pulling my leg. Now it's confirmed that he really did see them.

Oh well, I'm going in anyway. Our son was only 12 weeks old on our last trip to the Bahamas, so I didn't get to enjoy it much. This trip will be just me and my best friend, so I'm going to make the most of it, sharks or no sharks.:D

You and the kids will have a great time on Cococay I know that my wife and I did. The water was great the food was wonderful and the strawmarket was not as pushy as some make it out to be. We had an early time for the parasail and the island was pretty much ours after up until like 11-12 when every one else started to arrive, but all in all we still had a great time and I am sure that you and your family will to :) By the way, the pic in my siggy is from our parasail adventure

We were in Cococay last Tuesday. Didn't hear anything about any sharks but quite a few people got stung by jelly fish, including my husband. I don't know if this is a common thing there or not. At the medical station there, they had a spray bottle of vinegar and water with a sign above it saying to spray it on jelly fish stings.

We had the same problem WVACruiser had.

We were there last Monday and 2 of my 3 kids (and many other kids) were stung by jellyfish within the first 15 minutes and all were afraid to venture back in after getting sprayed...needless to say we didnt get our moneys worth.

OK, so basically you have a beach day... or snorkel or parasail or waverunner? (or go to the aqua park if a kid)..... I'm surprised RCI hasn't followed HAL and Princess to offer the private bungalows with lunch and drink service, or even a massage. Those are great.

Can someone from Majesty comment on stuff happening that day on the ship (other than a spa special)?

Maybe I will waverunner - that was a highlight for me at Labadee...

Can someone from Majesty comment on stuff happening that day on the ship (other than a spa special)? Maybe I will waverunner - that was a highlight for me at Labadee...

I have the Compass right here from that day. The rock-climbing wall was open, there was a ping-pong tournament, there was a beach yoga group, Coffee Chat with the Cruise Director's staff, Trivia, some Fisher-Price children's stuff, "Name-that-Country-Tune", Scrapbooking, Pool Games, Texas Hold-em tournament, a shopping show for the next day's port stop, Men's Belly Flop contest. From there, the last tender had come back and it was like any other day aboard for the rest of the schedule.

If you have your own snorkeling gear do they still charge you to snorkel in the roped off area?

DH and I have mask and snorkel and are looking to buy our own vest and fins to take. (Cruising is our new obsession). I'm hoping they won't charge us if we don't need the equipment.

Thanks.

If you have your own snorkeling gear do they still charge you to snorkel in the roped off area?

DH and I have mask and snorkel and are looking to buy our own vest and fins to take. (Cruising is our new obsession). I'm hoping they won't charge us if we don't need the equipment.

Thanks.

They don't charge to snorkle if you have your own gear but do require you to rent a life vest. As I remember the cost was either $5.00 or $6.00

Tanker 4

Archived