Shopping in Cozumel?

sha308

well we were in Cozumel this spring only shopped along the pier not downtown,which is better?As we will be going back in Dec.Thanks ahead of time couldn't have done the first cruise without you all.

The pier is limited by space as to the things that are offered. Which pier are you speaking about? If you are docking at Punta Langusto the walk into town is doable. If you are at one of the other piers, you can catch a cab for about $5 US to the downtown area. There are many stores with a lot of mechandice. Good luck with the shopping.

Shopping at the pier was much cheaper in our opinion. But we did find some unusual one of a kind things downtown. They cost just a little bit more, but it was worth it in our opinion. We docked at the International Pier on one of our trips. The other ones were at the Puerta Maya pier. T-shirts and souvenirs were cheaper at the pier. But unusual purses and jewelry were downtown, they cost more but they were definitely one of a kind items.:)

I enjoy shopping in Cozumel as I have been to that port many times, seen and done the sites, so shopping is my thing here. You can purchase inexpensive kahula for more than half the price it costs here. Believe it or not I never found tequila to be cheaper, its about the same as it is in this country...go figure its Mexico....Anyway, Cozumel has an abundant of things to shop for such as Onyx. All colors, all shapes and sizes, they make wonderful pieces for house decor and gifts. You can find some nice blankets, always can use them. They have wooden artifacts and all kinds of nice trinkets and souveniers.

What I do, when docked at international pier, I take a cab a very short ride up to Los Cinos Soles it is one of the further shopping in the area and one of the best places to shop in, very large place with an assortment of all kinds of items. I shop there and walk my way back towards the ship, that entire strip probably 2 miles long or so is all filled with shopping of all kinds. When I get tired of walking and carrying too many packages I take a short cab ride back to the ship. It is very inexpensive cannot recall how much but we were 4 people and it cost just a couple dollars each for the cab each.

I always bring along a couple of empty tote bags in my luggage knowing that I will need them for my new items I purchase on the cruise....that surely helps carrying my items that I buy in Cozumel much easily.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sha, shopping at the Puerta Maya Pier is where I've found the best bargains. I have shopped in San Miguel (the town), and what I have found is that the shopkeepers there are 'pushier' than at the pier.

Actually, the only reason I go downtown at all is to go to Plaza del Sol - (the town square, so to speak). It's a lovely area just a block or so behind where that HUGE Mx flag is located. I've seen local dancers and musicians in the square, while sipping a margarita from one of the al fresco cafes right on the square. Really neat way to enjoy a little of the local color.

I also enjoy the Plaza and shopping at Los Cincos Soles. I bought hand made pottery at very good prices (and quality) there. The employees don't hassle you to buy but watch over their customers. There is a restaurant attached to the store downtown where you can relax in between shopping at the various stores along the main street.

By all means, go downtown!!!! That's half the fun of Cozumel!!! I have found that the selection is better, and they're more willing to "deal" with you as there is more competition between similar stores. Some of my favorite purchases have been from downtown Cozumel......And there are also some great little places to catch a cold beer along the sidewalk as you shop... :D

I do not like having dealt with people chasing after me to get me to buy their stuff. Yes, this happened to me a number of times but this never happens to me in the shopping in the stores there. I also like shopping in the stores as they are air-conditioned going in the summer is very hot gives us a chance to cool off and relax while looking around. Yes, in the stores Los Cincos they do watch their customers which is fine for me, because always when I hold things they take it for me and put it in a spot so that I don't have to have my hands filled with the items carrying them. I hate when I have to negiotiate a price, its challenging sure and could be fun, but for me its stress on my vacation. I just can't stand it when people say to me "please look at my things" or go from a price of $15.00 an item and coming down bit by bit as I walk away, not my style. My opinion......

I've never been chased down the sidewalk in Cozumel (and I've been there many times!!!) .......Now in Progresso and Ensenada, even small children will chase you and beg you to buy something. I'm not one to bargain over a $15.00 t-shirt, but when it comes to diamonds or tanzanite, let the dealing begin!!!!! :D :D :D

Archived