Prince Rupert Activities?

Susan Casler

Are there any activities to do in PR? I already checked out the PR website. We are going to be in port from 5pm to 10pm so this limits things somewhat.

Go the ports of call board and then scroll to Pacific Northwest. Put in Prince Rupert in the Search this forum and stuff does come up. I also did this on the Alaska board even though Prince Ruper is not in Alaska. Try to do a search there too.

Also try Canada board

Marilyn

Are there any activities to do in PR? I already checked out the PR website. We are going to be in port from 5pm to 10pm so this limits things somewhat.

You must have checked out the wrong PR website - Tourism PR has loads of stuff to do ( http://www.tourismprincerupert.com/ ) although you're right that a 5-10 pm stop limits things substantially.

I tried all the searches and all that came up was an internet cafe and a cannery tour (not my cup of tea). I was hoping that someone who has already visited did somethign worthwhile. It seems to be a sleeper town. Maybe I'll let the hubs play golf.

How about your ship excursions. Should be something interesting there. Prince Rupert is a very small town. It is not like Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan at all. We just walked around, enjoyed scenery; there were eagles all over the trees.

Marilyn

We just got back from our trip Friday and Prince Rupert was our last port. I have to say it was our favorite. Lots of people felt it was boring but I think its just different than Juneau and Skagway. Its a newer stop and not as touristy. I think thats a great thing! We did Whale watching and Glacier in Juneau , drove to Emerald Lake in Skagway..... all AMAZING and would highly recommend them.

Prince Rupert is the one place we had nothing booked because we worried it wasnt much of a stop as well. As we left the ship to wander around there were many very friendly city hosts there to help at the dock and up the main streets. We walked up thru town there are some cute old streets and business that were fun to see and great building to take pictures of. We then went to Cow Bay right by the dock and wandered thru the shops and had lunch right on the back deck of Breakers Pub and watched the port. Its a busy Port with fishing boats, heli-logging and float planes. We saw an eagle right across from the pub checking us all out. Its the one place we bought things in as they werent your typical t-shirts and souveniers.We talked with people who rented a car and had a great drive and others that had a great whale watching trip (booked thru the ship).

It depends on what you like to do but I think there is something for everyone there.

Enjoy!

Prince Rupert as a port is the main reason wwe are on the Infinity in Sept.

There is plenty to do in the small city - if the ship offers a tour out to the cannery - fishing village museum on the Skeena River - take that as it is a very well presented museum - they have actually brought back to life one of the oldest canneries on the Skeena River and it shows you what life would have been like living there. Plus the drive out along the Skeena is a big bonus. You will see lots of eagles - probably some deer and if you are very lucky maybe even a bear or wolf.

If you want to just walk around you will find the town friendly and quite compact.

Rupert ...

if you aren't into an organized tour, a stroll around Cow Bay would be nice for stretching your legs and getting some of the local flavour. Not sure of the hours, but there is a very nice museum just up the hill from the terminal.

From down the highway in Smithers, BC

Robin

Archived