Belize and kids

amandachit

I am going to be on the Glory in October. We are trying to find something to do with the kids (2 and 7). Does anyone have any experience with this and have some recommendations?

If you go to the forum page, click on Belize you will find recommendations from other cruisers and you can also post your question there. We have been there several times and have gone to see the ruins and cave tubing but not so sure either one is appropriate for the little one. I would probably recommend one of the beaches you can take a short ride over to from the pier you will tender in to.

Cave tubing is probably the most popular trip with kids but the little one is much too small. Assuming that the four of you do not want to split up, you could do the Private Island Beach Break. It is basically a day at the beach. The barrier islands are beautiful. You will sail through them as you enter and leave Belize.

Belize City has little to offer in the way of a fun day with kids. I doubt you would want to do anything more than wonder through the shops in the tourist village. Being a tender port you will have to take a boat ride to go anywhere from the ship.

Gilbert (Gillyy) Young is a licensed tour operator that has a kiosk "inside the fence". As you get off the tender, he is in front of the Wet Lizard (a restaurant). He can arrange to take you to the zoo and a short tour of the city....where you can see some things and still be safe.

I have his card. In case you want to email him for prices and availability, his email address is gilleytours@yahoo.com. Tell him a lady on Cruise Critic recommended him.

The bad news is that this is a very poor port and the people are very aggressive outside of the protective fence around the port area. It is not tourist friendly like Cozumel yet, but several tour operators are working hard to make it better. The good news is the English is the spoken language there from the days of it being British Hondurous (sp?).

It is the only English speaking country in Central America.

Although my family loved cave tubing, it don't think your 2 year old would. There's a long hike thru the jungle and once you get to the caves, it's very dark and the water is chilly. I think they would have to share your tube with you too.

I've heard about a "beach break" type of excursion thru Carnival that might be your best bet. You take a tender to the beach -- your kids would enjoy the boat ride as much as spending time at the beach.

Good luck!

I also have a friend there that does private tours. I met him 3 years ago when he took me, my mom and a pregnant friend cave tubing. We use him now for private tours when we go to Belize. He also works for coral breeze, and has small children himself. He may be able to offer you ideas. If you would like his info, please e-mail me at foley dot gail at gmail. com. I just spoke to him this morning; he was taking a group cave tubing and called to let us know they may be evacuating if Dean continues to track to the west.

I would personally stick with a ship excursion here, and would not venture beyond the "fence" with kids. We left our kids on board for this port.

Ship excursion or private tour definately. This is not a port you want to do on your own.

I always recommend a ship excursion in Belize, if you are interesting in any tour that requires traveling a good distance from the port. However, touring the zoo or around the city with an independent licensed tour operator will be fine.

Just don't do it on your own.

My kids will be older than yours when we go, but I'm thinking of teaching them to snorkel and going through a private excursion and doing that. My DH and I just discovered our PASSION for snorkeling on our last trip, and couldn't go to Belize without doing some snorkeling there as well.

After doing my "homework" over on the Belize boards, I'm seriously considering

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/Caye/Caulker/cruise/snorkeling/current_category.15/Product.2/tours_add.html?t_product=2. Technically, it'd be possible for you and your DH/DW (can't tell from your screen name, sorry, LOL) to switch off turns snorkeling, or put a lifejacket on the small one and just swim off the boat with him/her.

I am really not sure what we are going to do. Would this be a good port to just skip and stay on board and enjoy an empty boat... or would I be missing a really cool place?

I will probably post some more questions later. Thank you for all of your advise and contacts.

Thanks again

Me My DH and two DS (2 & 4) did the private island beach break from Legend 7/29 sailing. Kind of expensive for a day at the beach but it was soo beautiful. They have a swing set and slide for the kids to play on when you aren't swimming. There are lots of shells so make sure they have water shoes or you carry them. We enjoyed it very much. I would be glad to answer anything else.

Contact Trevor and Cathy at Smuggler's Run. You can do a horseback ride in the jungle or a buggy ride on the plantation. They have some really cool critters there as well your kids will like. I understand they can do a river tour as well. I promise you that the meal you get will probably be the best food you have the enitre cruise! :D I and my family will go back in a heartbeat!

http://www.smugglersrunplantation.com/

http://www.smugglersrunbelize.com/

We enjoyed the zoo and city tour. We booked right when we got off the tender boat. They took our group of 6 in a van(kids were 11 and 7 at the time). The zoo is rather primitive, but good variety of native animals and some beautiful plants. Hopefully, they will not get too much hurricane damage. Looks like they will be south of the eye, but it is about as strong a storm as you can get.

Archived