Celebrity Galaxy

77skidoo

I'm a first time cruiser and was tjhinking about taking a cruise through the Mediterranean on the Celebrity Galaxy. Does anyone have any advice - especially if the RCI Brilliance of the Seas or Princess Grand Princess would be worth $1000 more?

Of the ship's you mentioned the Galaxy is the only one I've cruised on, but I had a fabulous cruise on her. I'm booked again for the eastbound TA in May 2008. It will be the first cruise after a rehab so the ship should look very nice if you're planning on sailing in the spring or summer next year. I would save the $$$$ and sail Galaxy in a heartbeat!

Terri

I've sailed Grand and Galaxy and have a booking on the Galaxy Eastbound TA. Reviews below have sections comparing the two lines. If I had to make the decision and the ports were equal, I would jump on Galaxy and not look back. After hearing lots of reports on RCI ships (last sailed them too long ago to compare) Galaxy would also win.

However, if you do get swayed to Grand Princess for your first cruise, make very sure you get traditional dining so you can get the full experience of cruising.

If you look at my signature you will see that I have been on many RCI ships. I loved them all but would choose Galaxy hands down. The food, service and atmosphere are superior.

That being said, if RCI had better ports I would sail with them because they're perfectly accecpable. Or if we had kids going with us- that was RCI's strong point for us.

All other things being equal - Galaxy wins. I can't believe it's cheaper! :eek:

Can't comment on Princess.

I'm a first time cruiser and was tjhinking about taking a cruise through the Mediterranean on the Celebrity Galaxy. Does anyone have any advice - especially if the RCI Brilliance of the Seas or Princess Grand Princess would be worth $1000 more?

We have cruised on Galaxy to the Mediterranean twice and are going again in 2008. We have also cruised on Norwegian to the Mediterranean and it remains our most memorable experience because of ports we visited (Israel) though the ship itself (Dream) provided the least memorable on-board experience.

Galaxy is being improved on a continuing basis, has a wonderful crew, great service and great food. $1,000 will buy a lot of excursions. You are going for the ports; plan for them and Galaxy will get you there in style.

$1,000 will buy a lot of excursions. You are going for the ports; plan for them and Galaxy will get you there in style.

Having sailed on Galaxy this past June in the Eastern Med, I absolutely agree with this statement. The Galaxy's itinerary is fabulous. The ports are so wonderful! That is really what you go there for. Go on the Galaxy and have a wonderful time!

Thanks, everyone. Great to hear from experienced cruisers!

I appreciate your help.

I was really hoping that the Galaxy (considering the refurbishing as well) would be suitable since the itinerary/ports seem to be the best for us.

If anyone has further info or anyone else has a comment, I welcome that!

Archived