Where is Dean going?

CoachTerry14

New forecasts looks like costa Maya is now at risk from Hurricane Dean - Everyone needs to keep an eye on this situation!

Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel our in my prayers! :)

We went to Costa Maya for the first time a few weeks ago on our cruise. I fell in love with Mahahual from the moment I stepped off the bus. Thanks for this post and the wonderful people and places of the Caribbean will always be in my thoughts and prayers!

We're scheduled on the Glory, Western Caribbean itinerary for 9/22.

I have been keeping a watchful eye on this, it doesn't look too promising for Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Belize if the current track holds.

I'm just praying for the people who live in these areas.

The projected path has zeroed in on Costa Maya, I'm afraid. I hope the folks living along the coast there can hang in there. It's not the most protected port, to say the least. I know they pretty much rebuilt the port from Wilma several years ago. Bummer for the people down there.

Yes, our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Costa Maya, the Yucatan, and Belize right now.

Many of you are familiar with the tours that David & Ivan do to the ruins at Chacchoben. Someone on our tour asked Ivan last year what they did in a hurricane in the years prior to them getting electricity and satellite TV (only about 5 years ago) - how did they know when to evacuate? His answer was simple - that when the roof of your house blew off the local village residents then moved to "shelter" in the roots of a banyan tree.

Kind of puts things in perspective. This area truly doesn't have the infrastructure to even seek shelter - rebuilding could be very hard for many should Costa Maya take a direct hit.

yeah, I know, I saw all kind of properties for sale and some small condos going up the last time we were there in 2004 on the Explorer. Not much more than that.. the concrete pier was pretty new as well as the pool and shopping area at the port. Oh gosh, a tree as refuge!!

cozumel is going to be fine - they rebuilt after wilma and every thing is built to much stronger codes. Costa Maya JMO if Dean stays on the current path it will be gone - Dean is at 18.2 n and 84.2 w Costa Maya is at 18.44N and 87.2 W - also Chetumal, Mexico is going to get pounded at 18.5 N and 88.3 West.

Belize will get it hard but at 17.5 N and 88.2 W they should be fine.

One degree Latitude equals approximately 69 miles - Hurricane force winds extend out 60 miles - That would mean Belize would get right our of Hurricane force winds.

Btw Cozumel is at 20.2 N

Archived