Summer clothes to Alaska this week???

a flygirl

Hi Guys, I am packing tonight and it seems as if I have all black clothes for evening. Black pants, skirt, dresses. Is it too late in the season to wear a summer halter dress (print) for dinner? We leave this Friday so we are a week short of Fall more or less.. also 60% rain every day, every port, so dismal weather.What is the norm? Also for port I have khakis and one black pant,one pr. jeans with tees/cotton long sleeve sweaters and a rain coat. with flats. Is this about right?Thanks Flygirl

We went in late May in 2001. The highs ran about 55-60 and the lows around 35-although after the cruise was over it was 75 our day in Anchorage before we flew home. It was COLD when we were in the glaciers-maybe not so much temp wise but there is a strong blowing windy mist there. I wore like a waterproof running suit there layered with sweathers, jacket, gloves, muff etc. I did not take a heavy coat but the only place you really need that is the glaciers but if you layer up you can keep warm without worring about packing an heavy bulky coat.

The ship is heated so you can get away with a sundress but you may want to bring a shawl- and also you never know it may be warmer- weather is hard to predict. I had friends that went labor day weekend the year before us and they said it was COLD the whole week for them-they had no mild weather like us-so be prepared the weather may not be so great but at least the ship is heated so you should be fine at dinner.

Everyone seemed to be dressed in dark clothes so what you are packing sounds fine. Just bring some of those kind of all season clothes- or possibly in your area- spring and fall type clothes. Living in the south I have plenty of those type clothes as we often get to wear that type of stuff even on mild winter days so I think of them as more of as "all season" clothes.

I would say check out the temps this week in Alaska but after our caribbean cruise last winter I know that does not necessarily mean anything either. It was hitting 92 in the west. carb. the week before when we cruised but then a cold front came through and it did not make 70 the week we were there after Grand Cayman. The only good thing was it was cold in the Atlanta area that week- only made like 35 so at least we were warmer on our cruise.

Look on weather.com for info regarding current weather. We were there last week and I wish I had brought more lightweight clothing. It was not hot, but I'm the type to prefers to be dressed on the cool side. We even were on deck a few evening without sweaters and were very comfortable.

Have a great trip, it is beautiful!

Look on weather.com for info regarding current weather. We were there last week and I wish I had brought more lightweight clothing. It was not hot, but I'm the type to prefers to be dressed on the cool side. We even were on deck a few evening without sweaters and were very comfortable.

Have a great trip, it is beautiful!

Happy- we did that last winter. Grand Cayman and Cozumel were both 92 and Belize was 89. We checked like on Fri. before we flew out Sat. and started our cruise on Sun. Things can change quick. Weather is one thing you can't predict- as I said- my friends went out the Sun. before labor day on their Alaska cruise and was cold all week.

One year I went to Toronto and Niagara Falls for a trip- it was early Aug. I did not bring shorts thank goodness wore mostly jeans but I did not bring a sweather or jacket thinking they would not be necessary-I ended up buying a souvenior sweat shirt and wore it all week as it was hitting 40 in the evening.

So anyway I do believe our friend could bring at least a couple of sweathers and a jacket-I would not bother with a heavy coat but at least she should bring a few things so she can layer if necessary. It is easy enough to shed a sweather if you get too warm but pretty hard to keep warm if you are chilled. I learned that in the carb. last winter. I brought one jacket which I wore over and over. I was glad there was a ship's laundry also as I washed my jacket and slacks which I had brought for wearing to dinner (which I wore in place of my shorts) mid week. Most of my shorts came back home clean and unworn.

Then again what I refer to as year round wear you may consider lighwieght summer wear. Although it can get cold here in the south-we do have days in the teens and every few years we actually get a single digit day our average winter day is like45-55-too cool for shorts but we still wear light weight slacks. I personally love cotton and silk sweathers as they will breathe- and I wear alot of those-I stay away from that acrilyc stuff-I get too warm in those sweathers unless it is what of those days in the teens.

Archived