Snorkel Equipment on Coco Cay?

Does anyone know how much it is just to rent a vest on Coco Cay? We're considering brining our own snorkel equipment, but I hear we still have to have a vest, which we don't own.

Also, does someone know the quality of the snorkel equipment they have for rent? Are they dry snorkels? How good are the masks and fins?

Thanks! :)

Does anyone know how much it is just to rent a vest on Coco Cay? We're considering brining our own snorkel equipment, but I hear we still have to have a vest, which we don't own.

Also, does someone know the quality of the snorkel equipment they have for rent? Are they dry snorkels? How good are the masks and fins?

Thanks! :)

I believe it's $5. DH snorkeled on Coco Cay with his own equipment and no vest. No one hassled him either.

we rented many years ago and then decided to purchase. I would suggest purchasing a nice mask/snorkel at a minimum That way what you put in your mouth you know about and as for the mask, you know you have one that works for/with you!

Fins and the safety vest would still have to be rented, but a small price to ensure you have a good excursion. :) We bought a nice set at Wal-Mart (mask/snorkel) for about $15.

We were at Coco Cay about a month ago and took our own snorkle gear. The cost to rent a vest was $5.00. I can't comment on the rental gear but many folks were using it. Living in Florida we snorkle a lot so it was convienent to just use our own.

Tanker 4

When you say you have your own snorkel equipment do you also mean fins? because last year I did not have fins just vest and mouth piece and had to rent the fins. My wife and I have goggles and mouth pieces and 1 vest so we had to rent 2 sets of fins and 1 vest and they charged us $27.00 last October. This year on of next cruise we just bought fins and another vest and going to bring them along. I know it will take up some space but we were able to use the fins already at the shore with our boogie boards.

Also I bought these straps last year for our masks they do not tangle your hair. Here is an example I am not sure if this is the exact store I bought them from http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Masks.asp

maskstrap.jpgrp22clip.jpg

Also I also bought a waterproof case for my digital camera for $30.00

http://www.aquapac.net/

Here are some examples

fish-cococay.jpg

underwater-cococay.jpg

bahamassig.gif.png

We were looking at buying a set including fins from Amazon for $40. Which to me is worth it if they're going to charge almost $30 for a day's rental. It's funny that you mention the non-hair pulling strap, we were looking at those as well.

I bought an enclosure for my digital camera last year, like yours, through B&H camera for about $150. I used it on my snorkel with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. It was kind of hard to handle sometimes and I got the case's lense frame in a few shots, but I was able to get a lot of good shots and a couple of short video clips. I'll definitely be using it again.

The case for my camera is a soft plastic kinda like a ziplock bag you must have bought one of the hard cases. I have read that every picture you take wont be great because you need alot of light and underwater it may not be so light, but I really like the case I was even able to use down the shore this past year. The mask straps are great think I paid about $9.00 a piece.

Archived