Back from Sapphire!

twnkltoz

I'm not much of one for writing long reviews, so I'll just say that the cruise was wonderful! The trip there and back sucked big time, but the cruise itself was great. We were in cabin E319, a partially obstructed view. We had these cylindrical things in front of our window, marked "life raft" but didn't really look like a raft! We were able to see quite a bit around and over them, even sitting in the chairs by the desk. The food was good (still the old menus), the cabin was nice, and the entertainment was good. As ballroom dancers, we spent at least some time dancing in the Wheelhouse every night. The Tito Cruz Quartet was pretty good, and then we discovered True to Life about halfway through the week. they were awesome!! Not quite the variety that we crave for ballroom dancing, but excellent sound and they're a lot of fun. Did both Sabatini's and Sterling and enjoyed both greatly. Did the Arabian Cleansing Ritual (Rasul) and loved it. Loved the Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan, Steamboat tour and tram ride to top of Mount Roberts in Juneau (self booked), and White Pass train ride and Dog Mushing experience in Skagway. Glaciers in Glacier Bay and College Fjord were stunning and magnificant and beautiful. Would do all of the above again!

Any questions?

We had these cylindrical things in front of our window, marked "life raft" but didn't really look like a raft!

....they look like big white oil barrels.......and in the case of an emergency........they open up (split in half).......and a rubber life raft inside inflates.....;)

Glad u had a great time!...I was in Alaska 7/05 on Sun Princess. did skagway rail but other things elsewhere. how was dog mushing? how coordinated must one be? (never know, i might go back)

but i booked the sapphire (e415 --probably similar to yours) for Australia/nz in 2008. i'd welcome anything about the ship--cabin, actiivities, facilities, food, service that you feel worth commenting on to someone who doesn't know that particular ship.

thanks!

Let's see...for the dog mushing, you don't actually get to mush. You sit in a wheeled cart and the musher mushes the dogs. I loved it, but I'm a major animal lover.

There were lots of activities going on, but we didn't do most of them because we were either on excursions or resting or watching the scenery go by! Trivia, dance lessons, contests, all kinds of stuff. We saw two different production shows, one they retired (Piano Man) and a new one, Do You Wanna Dance, both of which were awesome. There was also a broadway star who did some kind of show, a couple of comedians, and a magician. On this itinerary there was also a naturalist giving talks but that might be because it was Alaska. You'll have a blast!!

Did you find the dance lessons a little elementary as you are a ballroom dancer. Do you think they would be good for a couple of not very good dancers, who have been watching way to much dancing with the stars and so you can dance?:eek: I am always intrigued by the idea of a quick into lesson. Was trivia pretty good? We also enjoy that.

but i booked the sapphire (e415 --probably similar to yours) for Australia/nz in 2008. i'd welcome anything about the ship--cabin, actiivities, facilities, food, service that you feel worth commenting on to someone who doesn't know that particular ship.

thanks!

We loved the Sapphire Princess, and we loved the Au/NZ cruise -- we just didn't get to do them together! I think it will be a wonderful trip for you.

Check out our trip report and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire.html

and

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/regalprincess.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Did you find the dance lessons a little elementary as you are a ballroom dancer. Do you think they would be good for a couple of not very good dancers, who have been watching way to much dancing with the stars and so you can dance?:eek: I am always intrigued by the idea of a quick into lesson. Was trivia pretty good? We also enjoy that.

I didn't go to the dance lessons this time because they ARE too basic for me (I've been dancing for 12 years), and the one time I went on the Grand it was so crowded it wasn't worth it for basic steps. However, my Dad did go and he got something out of it (he does country but not much ballroom). Didn't do the trivia, either! Enjoyed it on the Grand. lol I guess I'm not much help!

Archived