celebrity horizon out of Norfolk

island57

New here, be patient. We cruised royal cabribbean before 9/11 and not since. We are going to Bermuda Oct 23 out of Norfolk. Here is the question: when we did RC I took 6 bottles of wine on board in a carry on with no questions asked. We did not want to use in dining room, rather in our cabin. Would like to bring on a bottle of high end vodka for late night in room nightcap. Is this doable? can we board with a small carryon with booze?? If not, anyone know how to "get around" the booze police? Would appreciate any advice.

Wine in carryon, booze in checked luggage. Be very, very careful while on board. Please do not spill any wine or make any undue wear and tear on my ship as I will be getting on her 10/31 and I would like to find her in the same shape I keft her in March of this year! :D

Well, I really didn't think I had to say this, but here goes: use vodka in plastic if possible, I know you said high end, but could you transfer it to a plastic vodka bottle from a lesser brand? or wrap bottle in bubble wrap and place in one of those 2 1/2 gal zip locks before putting in your checked luggage.

Hope I made you happy, emptynest:D ! Seriously, I know lots of people who do this with no problem. Just a few precautions.

We always take booze with us in our checked luggage for consumption in our cabin (Bourbon, though ;) ). We always put it in one of those non-crushable heavy duty plastic booze containers you can order through travel magazines. And, just for overkill -- I also wrap it in bubble wrap AND put it in double ziplock bags. In six cruises we have never had a problem. :)

Tuggers, you don't need to make me happy. I was just pointing out that your luggage may(read, will) be thrown around, buried underneath other luggage, and generally abused. Anyone who has been near the midship elevators before departure has seen the piles of luggage, and the handlers throwing them out of the elevators. And that is not to mention how my luggage was run over by a forklift, or the luggage I saw dropped off the forklift on the dock and then casually tossed back up on the pile. Oh yes, I forgot to mention this was in Norfolk.

Anything breakable, even plastic shampoo bottles etc, can be squished.

Beware of how you pack and where you put things.

Tuggers - Please tell me what you love about Horizon so much. I am thinking about 8 day out of Norfolk next June 4. I found some pictures in Webshots and she looks very classy. I have bounced around so many ideas since we are travelling with 2 teenage boys (graduation present). We were thinking of going on the Mariner, but the thought of 3,000 people gives me a chill up my spine - not a relaxing vacation at all. I've explained to the boys that there is very little to do on the Horizon compared to the "other ship" -- they seem to be OK with it. (They are into playing poker and I told them there is a card room -- they joked and said that is all they need - they can go there and play poker -- I realize they cannot gamble, and that is not what I'm saying. They and my DH would play poker - just the three of them.) Then there is always the pool and eating (as teenage boys love to do.) Once in Bermuda - we would probably spend some days at the beach, then tour Bermuda. Still haven't made my final decision. Am also thinking about Century 9 or 10 night - but the plus for the Horizon is we can drive to Norfolk and save the airfare. Big plus for us. The money I save in airfare could go towards a little trinket of jewelry, I'm certain. Anyways - back to original question - what do you love about the Horizon? And another question - do you think I'm being unreasonable taking 2 teenage boys? Thanks.

Elaine, I know you asked Tuggers and I hope she responds, but I thought I would also address some of your questions.

I took my 22 year old son to Bermuda in June. We had a great time and there was plenty for him to do. The ship was full of kids, teens and young adults. Bermuda was great, we snorkled at Tobacco bay and off a catamarand, and visited the beaches. It is easy to get around via the bus system or a taxi.

The ship itself needs some cosmetic work. Some rugs were worn and dirty, and our bath needed some help, but overall the ship was nice.

We drove also(from Eden, NC), it took us 4 hours to the parking lot and then about 30 minutes to shuttle to the port.

Thanks. . . after I posted that I almost went back and changed it to read "Tuggers or any others." I appreciate it. Eden, NC - that is a pretty place. My SIL lives in Hertford on the Albemarle sound. Will probably be making a trip up that way soon to stay in our B&B - that's what I call her house cause the room she gives us on the water is absolutely gorgeous!

Sorry to take so long answering but I have been busy today. Our regular WalMart is closing at 6pm and reopening down the street is our second Super WalMart. They have been marking things down like crazy and I have been very busy saving money! LOL! And dragging it all home. So far best buys are a $25.88 gigantic ceramic flower pot and saucer for $2 and a pair of $18 sunglasses for $1 (well, I bought 7 pair, I ALWAYS lose 'em)! OK enough of that!

Why do I love Horizon? First, I love the size. The people you meet while waiting to board are going to be seen again day after day. It's friendly. Because you see everyone so much people tend to talk and get to know each other. Nothing ever seems crowded. There are hardly ever any lines. Cruise reviews refer to this as 'elbow room' and Horizon and Zenith always rate high with this. The crew is one of the happiest one afloat! They love being on this ship and they show it. They take wonderful care of you and I can guarantee you will need two sheets of stationary and a stapler when you go to turn in your comment card. You will have that many people to name who went above and beyond!! The food is always exceptional. Anything you want, if they can get it, it's yours! More accomodating staff is not on any other ship. Sure it could use an upgrade and a makeover, but, hey! so could I! But my friends think I'm just fine and I feel the same about Horizon. I do take exception to the other poster wh said they found things dirty, worn I can go with, but not dirty, they scrub things within an inch of thier lives!!

Horizon will have things to do, but it will be a little more low key than say RCL. There won't be a rock climbing wall, etc, but there should be more teenagers in that age group onboard. Up to 17 they have some things organized I think. And there will be shows, etc. If they are so into poker I would get those cards (magnetic? or whatever that are specifically for around the pool) that can get wet and then they can sit out by the pool and play poker all day. Don't have to be inside!

I have not been to Bermuda, but there should be beaches and that usually is a good place for teenagers.

If you have any specific questions that I can answer I would be glad to. I've sailed her twice and an scheduled again 10/31. She is probably my fave!:D

Thanks tuggers - I'm sure I will think of questions as time goes by.

Emptynest1 - It just hit me on the way home from work that you said you live in Eden, not Edenton. I live in Summerfield, just northwest of Greensboro. We are about 1 hour away from each other. I've never met anyone on this board so close to me!

I guess I'll post this question now while I'm thinking about it. If I wait until mid January to book the June 4 Horizon cruise, will it be sold out? I have a dilemma. Each Jan. we get a schedule of projects that we have to do at work that are submitted to the state on the 15th of the month. Now we don't have them each month - only on selected months depending on what it is time to submit for. If I want to take a vacation during one of these projects, I would have do it somewhere near the middle to the end of the month prior to the due date. I could safely book a cruise anywhere between about the 16th and the 30th of the month and still get back in plenty of time to work on the remainder of it. But, since I want to book this cruise that is from the 4th until the 12th of the month, I either have to wait till Jan. and hope that we do not have a project due in June, or find out what the cancellation/transfer policy with Celebrity is and book it, but if I find out I have a project due then I'll have to change to a different sailing. It sort of p*^%&s me off - but there is not a whole lot I can do. I think there are other Bermuda cruises that are 7 night - haven't really looked. But I liked the 8 night cruise. Next choice would be the 9 night century but obviously more money, since we would have to pay air. I don't know what to do. Getting someone else to do my portion of the project is not an option - they won't let that happen. So, back to the bottom line question - if I wait until Jan to find out our project schedule, will the Horizon be booked? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. After I saw the pics of Horizon, I fell in love with her - she had a certain charm and classiness that I think I would be very happy on. Thanks.

Hi Caribean bound. I love Charlotte.

Elaine, the cruise I took with my son was booked in April. We had to wait and see when his leave would be before I booked and we had no problem. However if you book now you can cancel before final payment which shouldn't be until about March or so. Which means you can book and put down a deposit then if you had to change dates before final payment there is no problem.

ElaineB2 - Hi, I'm on the June 4, '05 to Bermuda. Just booked it last week. Hope you'll go along. Sounds like the "boys" are already set. Check out my website for the last cruise (Aug 1, '04) I'll be making a new site for the Horizon trip. :confused: WAIT 'TIL January????? NOT!... BOOK NOW! The ship is almost sold out!!!! There are very few rooms left. Believe it or not - No suites, (which is what DW wanted). We did get CC on Atlantic deck. Anyway, check it out and feel free to drop me a note. We're going with another couple from Richmond, so we'll drive to Norfolk. Also sign up for the Celebrity Registration so we can get a CC party, courtesy of Celebrity. I do have a Roll Call for this cruise in that section. I'm packing now:D

Oh, I would love to book it now - but I won't know until January what my June work schedule will hold.

Hi to Caribbean Bound in Charlotte - I've never been there. We've only lived here for 3 years.

Yes, you can book a cruise and then before final payment switch to another cruise. Usually around final payment time more cabins open up so what looks like a fully booked cruise now may have open cabins later. As I said before, I couldn't even book a cruise until I found out my sons leave schedule and we had no problem getting a CC cabin about 2 months before the cruise and this was a May 29 sailing. Lots of families with kids out of school.

Book the cruise you want and then in Jan if you need to change you can look at other options.

Hello. from another Carolina neighbor down in Campobello,SC.We are on the Horizon for the 9/18/04 and really looking forward to it.I get to Charlotte every now and then,mostly to come watch The Kitties (Panthers).Tickets were hard to come by this year, but I did manage to get them for 3 games.Being near Wofford College I did get to training camp a few times over the last 3 weeks. I think the Kitties have a little "Unfinished Business" to take care of !!!! GOOOOOOO PANTHERS !!!!!!!!!!

Cameron by the Sea, why you are just spitting distance from me. That cruise out of Norfolk is great for us. Just bop on 58 and you are there in no time.

Joe I, another Carolinian in our midst. We get down to see the Kitties also.

Elaine, did you book that cruise? We had a blast in Bermuda. Second time we have been there.

Archived