Vow Renewal - what to wear?

Suesancy

Hi everyone - hoping someone can help me...we are celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary next March (2008) and my 60th Birthday the same week. We are going to renew our vows on board Sea Princess and I am really excited about that. 40 years ago we did not have the money to have a fancy wedding and it was all done really fast - my husband was in the Navy then and we decided to get married while he was on leave - so it was all done in a month. I had a homemade dress etc., etc., it was lovely but not what I would have chosen if I had had a lot of time and money.

So this time it is just for us - nobody else - and I am really looking forward to it. What I want though - is some advice on what to wear. At 60 years old I would look ridiculous in a proper wedding dress but I want to wear something really special. I thought maybe a lavender colour, lace - full length. Something like that. But have searched and not been able to find anyting.

Has anyone any suggestions over what I might wear or where I might find it? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot

Congratulations on 40 years of marriage! You are an inspiration to all of us future brides! :)

You said you didn't want a formal wedding gown, which I can certainly understand. Would you consider wearing white again? You said that you didn't get a big, fancy wedding dress before and you wish you could have. After 40 years, you deserve it!

A lot of the bridal lines like Alfred Angelo and Maggie Sottero have what are called "destination" wedding dresses. They are actual wedding gowns, but aren't the big poofy "typical" gowns. They're simple yet gorgeous. Here's a few examples:

AD1010.jpgSD3008.jpg

http://www.maggiesottero.com/collection.aspx?line=d&pageSize=8&page=0

800ae98a-376a-43ce-b0a4-5d5fa715a966.collectionBrowseFront.jpga7b75e91-2ecc-4322-a3bc-8a8ffec64fb4.collectionBrowseFront.jpg

http://www.alfredangelo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/collections.displayCollection/categoryID/6eb1ddbe-45d0-4d16-93d6-ca5ded5c84d6

If you are totally not for this suggestion, let me know. I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve! :D

Tbear that is exactly what I was going to suggest. You could have the wedding-dress effect without the big poofy ballgown look.

P.S. That tea-length lace number by Alfred Angelo is GORGEOUS! Find a beautiful flower for your hair and you would make a beautiful bride-renewed! :)

Hi Lora and Nursebeth - thanks for the suggestions.

First of all Lora congratulations on your forthcoming marriage - hope that you and your "best friend" will be happy as we have been. The only advice I will give you is that although you will have ups and downs in your marriage you promise that it will be for better or worse. And in my experience ethe worse has never been that bad - and always been worth it for the better. Because the better has been great. Stick with it and you will be still married to your best friend in 40 years time - and it will be wonderful.

I love the dresses you suggest - but at 60 years of age I don't wish to show off my upper arms etc., - am quite well endowed and slightly overweight - so feel that I should have something a little more discreet - perhaps a lacey jacket or coat, or at least sleeves. Any suggestions in that area?

|Thanks again,

Sue you could find a beautiful white shawl to drape around your shoulders. Many bridal shops also offer white "jackets" that are pretty & lacy that would coordinate with a wedding gown. I also know that now David's Bridal offers an option to add sleeves to any of their gowns. You could even try a local department store like Dilliards or Belk (not sure what you have in your area) & see if they have a white or cream "suit" dress or a shawl or jacket to add to a dress that you like. :D

Hi - well found it - now all I need to do is find something similar that I can buy online. I am in the UK and so can't visit Davids Bridal to purchase the dress. Check it out and let me know whether you think it is appropriate or whether I would look totally ridiculous. Many thanks,

http://davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2293&prodgroup=10

Cheers,

I think that would be absolutely beautiful and VERY appropriate. I wonder if you could take the picture in to a bridal store near you and ask if they had something similar? Or look at bridal stores' websites that are in the UK for something similar? It will help now that you have an idea in your head of what it will look like.

Congratulations on your anniversary and renewing your vows. I think that is so touching and will be so meaningful for you and your husband. How wonderful!

Archived