Vancouver - Granville Island by Bus

Catch Bus 50 "False Creek South" at West bound on Cordova and Seymour. TAkes you there and back (17 mins one way.)

That intersection is just out the door and a block or so to your left from the Traffic light you can see from the door. Check for the # on the bus stop sign posts.

Here is another fun way to get to Granville Island from your hotel -

Walk next door (to your left) to the Sky Train Station and take the Sky Train to the Main Street Station (Science World)

Once off the Sky Train walk accross the street to Science World - to the left of the building is a dock where you can catch the False Creek Ferry to Granville Island. This is not the cheapest method of getting there but kind of fun and you get a tour of False Creek on the little people ferry.

Buy yourself an all day transit pass for $8. and you can ride the Sky Train and the Bus system all day on the 1 pass.

Would also allow you to take the Sea Bus accross the Harbor to North Vancouver and Lonsdale Public Market.

Walk next door (to your left) to the Sky Train Station and take the Sky Train to the Main Street Station (Science World)

Once off the Sky Train walk accross the street to Science World - to the left of the building is a dock where you can catch the False Creek Ferry to Granville Island. This is not the cheapest method of getting there but kind of fun and you get a tour of False Creek on the little people ferry.

Buy yourself an all day transit pass for $8. and you can ride the Sky Train and the Bus system all day on the 1 pass.

Would also allow you to take the Sea Bus accross the Harbor to North Vancouver and Lonsdale Public Market.

We want to go to Granville Island and were told to take the Aqua Bus - is that the same as the little people ferry that you refer to above?

Can you buy the all day transit pass on line? If so, does it get activated on the first use, or when you purchase it?

What is False Creek?

"We want to go to Granville Island and were told to take the Aqua Bus - is that the same as the little people ferry that you refer to above?"

It is one of two companies that provide the service - the way described is the scenic way - here's another option if you don't mind a little walking and it is not raining - as you come out of the hotel you should see Hornby St - you can walk to the other end of it - about a mile and catch the little ferry for a two minute crossing of False Creek - let me know when you will be walking and I will wave to you from my apartment.

"Can you buy the all day transit pass on line? If so, does it get activated on the first use, or when you purchase it?"

Don't know - couldn't see anything on the web site but you can purchase them at the ticket machines at the Waterfront Station which is next door to the Pan Pacific.

"What is False Creek?"

Not actually a Creek - it is an extension of Burrard CInlet that at one time extended much further inland but was filled in - for many years at lot of Vancouver's dirty industry made it's home there - the incentive for the redevelopment of the creek came firstly from the success of Granville island market and then Expo 86 - while you still wouldn't want to swim in the waters they are much cleaner now and you can actually see down a few feet.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks so much for the great advice Ann! We'll see you in a few weeks!!!

I have a similar question. Unlike the original poster, we are not (unfortunately) staying overnight post-cruise next week in Vancouver, but we do have about 6 hours to explore. If we are able to check our luggage somehow through the cruiseline (Princess), what would you suggest we do with our time, considering we still have to get transportation to the airport? Flight leaves at 3:30, but I will have checked us in online day before. I've seen most of the sights, but it's many years. My husband has only seen some of the port and the road between the airport & Canada Place. I think he would really dig Granville Island. I suppose we could just cab it there and then head toward the airport in the early afternoon.

All thoughts & suggestions are much appreciated. We leave for AK tomorrow, but I'll be checking the board.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought the all day passes twice this June. C$8 for adults only C$6 for seniors.

We were able to buy them ahead of time in either one of 2 local stores close to where we were staying. As they are not dated you can use any time. The first form of transport you board you activate the ticket by putting it into a machine. It is then validated for use that day.

We used it for grouse mountain and Lynne Canyon.

Archived