More GOOD news about Cozumel :-)

Rodeomomof2

http://thisiscozumel.com/content/view/543/2/

Dean Has Minimal Effects

| Print | Email Cozumel Island News - Latest News Aug 21, 2007

cozumel_after_dean.jpg

Cozumel seafront this morning:

wet but undamaged.

Hurricane Dean passed by about 130 miles (210 km) to the south of Cozumel last night, bringing rain and wind to the island but with minimal effects.

Locals in Cozumel estimate that wind speeds were not much higher than 60 miles per hour (100kmh).

There has been no interruption to power, the downtown seafront looks just as it did yesterday and there is virtually no damage to buildings or other infrastructure.

Tom Fryer, owner of the Hotel Flamingo, said that downtown would "probably be back to normal tomorrow". With minimal clean-up being required, tourists will be able to resume their vacations almost immediately.

The category 5 storm made landfall near Mahajual on the coast of Mexico around 2.30am local time, said the National Hurricane Center in the United States.

Although the intensity of the storm has dropped now it is over land, other parts of the country continue to be on alert as the storm crosses the Yucatan Peninsula and moves towards the Gulf of Mexico.

You can monitor the storm's progress on the National Hurricane Center's website.

Yep, I just got an email from a fellow who lives there and he said they faired very well.

SOOO glad!!!!!

Me Too!!!!! I'm really anxious to hear about the eastern side of the island though. I am (was) planning to rent jeeps and go to Chen Rio and Coconuts in 57 days!

http://thisiscozumel.com/content/view/543/2/

Dean Has Minimal Effects

| Print | Email Cozumel Island News - Latest News Aug 21, 2007

cozumel_after_dean.jpg

Cozumel seafront this morning:

wet but undamaged.

Hurricane Dean passed by about 130 miles (210 km) to the south of Cozumel last night, bringing rain and wind to the island but with minimal effects.

Locals in Cozumel estimate that wind speeds were not much higher than 60 miles per hour (100kmh).

There has been no interruption to power, the downtown seafront looks just as it did yesterday and there is virtually no damage to buildings or other infrastructure.

Tom Fryer, owner of the Hotel Flamingo, said that downtown would "probably be back to normal tomorrow". With minimal clean-up being required, tourists will be able to resume their vacations almost immediately.

The category 5 storm made landfall near Mahajual on the coast of Mexico around 2.30am local time, said the National Hurricane Center in the United States.

Although the intensity of the storm has dropped now it is over land, other parts of the country continue to be on alert as the storm crosses the Yucatan Peninsula and moves towards the Gulf of Mexico.

You can monitor the storm's progress on the National Hurricane Center's website.

I noticed that you are heading on the Fantasy in a few days .

Please keep us posted on any info .

Thank you

This is great news!!!

Does anyone know if they have electric and running water.. even though they may have fared well they might have lost power.

According to the article mentioned, they DO have power :) :

Dean Has Minimal Effects

|

Tom Fryer, owner of the

Hotel Flamingo, said that downtown would "probably be back to normal tomorrow". With minimal clean-up being required, tourists will be able to resume their vacations almost immediately.

This is great news!!!

Does anyone know if they have electric and running water.. even though they may have fared well they might have lost power.

Cozumel is FINE!!! The only power outage was intentional on part of the CFE and it was back on by 8am this morning: No interruption of any services and by tomorrow most all stores will have the plywood removed and be back in business. We're only waiting on some visitors.

Let me tell you that it was the cruise industry's immediate return to Cozumel that saved the community from financial havoc after Wilma. We didn't have a single cruise pier standing but in mid-November, some three or four weeks after Wilma, there were cruise ships anchored in front of our commercial zone using tenders to get their passengers on our shores.

Cozumel has to be grateful; I'm sure Majajual will receive much support also, but they were not as significant in the circuit as Cozumel, so the help won't be on the same scale, I'm afraid.

The Mexican and international communities are generous with disaster relief though and I am sure everyone will pitch in to see a recovery for these folks.

Hi! We're on the Ecstasy right now, about 300 nm from Cozumel, due there at 7am tomorrow.

SOOO glad that Dean didn't have as big a bite as was originally predicted!

Any thoughts on what the water visibility will be? Will we still be able to scuba and/or snorkel? Or should we just plan on a nice, relaxing beach day?

Thanks!

our prayers go out to those who were hit..

Jim...glad you guys faired well..what do you do in Cozumel??

Will be there in a few weeks.....very excited to get back and have a nice relaxing time.....maybe we should do a group cruise to Majajual to help those folks out...that would get some publicitiy wouldnt it?

ROPD184, I am partners with my son in a deep sea fishing charter business in Cozumel.

Additional Majahual information: ...

Hundreds of homes were collapsed in Majahual when Dean's eye passed almost directly overhead, crumpling steel girders, splintering wooden structures and washing away about half of the immense concrete dock that transformed the sleepy fishing village into Mexico's second-busiest cruise ship destination. The storm surge covered almost the entire town in waist-deep sea water.

Archived