LAX with time to kill

vickie_bernie

We will be at the airport after our cruise about six hours before our flight. There are 8 of us, so we are taking a shuttle to airport from ship.

We will check our bags in, and then some of us want to venture out. Is it easy to get on the "Green Line" and visit anything. I thougth I saw that you can go and visit this pier or something, or perhaps a mall.

Can anyone let me know how to get to the Green Line metro from LAX, how much will it be, and how far it is. Is there something exciting or interesting we should do that is easy to get to and from?

Any input appreciated.

Okay, lots of info, but I have more questions first...

#1 Have you checked with your specific airline, and are SURE that you can check your luggage 6 hours before your flight?

(make sure of that, as I had recent friends from Vancouver leaving from LAX, and for security reasons, they would not let them check their luggage over 2 or 3 hours before their flight).

#2 If there are one or two people who are willing to hang out at LAX with the bags, if this is an issue, is that okay?

#3 Do you actually have 6 hours? Or how much sooner (or less time will you have) if you need to check in and go through security?

Now...

In general...

Yes, there is a Green Line that goes to very East of Redondo Beach (long walk to get anywhere good)...

And you have to take a bus from LAX to get to and from the Green Line (can be done if you plan your time)...

Then, if you have 6 or more people, for time and convenience, I think it would be worth looking into getting a taxi (van size, they'll have them) and splitting the cost amongst you, it will be worth it easy (could amost be the same price for each of you having to separately buy tickets to and from the Green Line)...

Run up to Marina Del Ray, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, or down to Manhattan Beach...

All about $10 to $15 per taxi ride (shared), and you are where you want to go faster and sooner.

Probably about 5 minutes (at the absolute fastest, no traffic, no rush hour) to 15 minutes (at the most) depending on where you decide...

Also, in order to advise you best, age ranges and interests of the people (adults, kids, teenagers, etc.)...?

Get back to me, and I'm more than happy to help...

CJW

thanks for responding, and so detailed too.

We may not be able to check luggage, but we won't have too much as we are just doing a repo. cruise of 3 nights, so if necessary we will put in lockers.

Age range, 2 in 40's, 4 in early 50's, and 2 in 60's. I think we would like to just kill time, maybe a mall or something, outlet mall, and a meal.

Well we estimate we will be off ship at 9:30, at airport and bags checked/stored by 10:30. Flight leaves at 4:30 pm. So we will need to be back at the airport for around 3:15 pm or so to clear security.

Good idea about the van/taxi. We are taking a private van from pier to airport.

If you could recommend something relatively close by, and how much taxi would be that would be great and much appreciated.

Vickie

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are NO lockers anymore at airports, which really sucks.

BUT....there are several tour companies that come get you, you put your luggage in the back of their van/shuttle and it goes with you, and they take you where you want to go. They will keep your luggage for you all day if you want. Look up LA/Hollywood Tours on google and you will find all sorts that do it.

I was in this situation in LA about 3 years ago and found out there we no lockers. We wanted to go to the SM Pier and this company would store our bags. Turns out our flight got switched and we were not able to do it, but it is an option.

Yes, getting through LAX to your gate can take ALOT OF TIME! I recall a yr or so ago when we were at Westin at LAX overnight & Mike said lets go to airport -- I argued we were 3 hr prior to flight & too much time to waste at airport & why leave that delightful hotel? Well, as usual, he prevailed & when we got to LAX there were HUGE lines to get through airline to check bags & get boarding pass, then doubly HUGE LONG lines to get through security!!! So all in all do not underestimate the needed time!!!

thanks everyone for your help, I didn't even realize there were no more lockers, In Vancouver there are storage places for your bags, but not lockers, guess it is different at LAX.

I agree the time is need to check in/go thru security; however we will be at the airport about 6 hours easily -- now I hear it is a big airport but how can I kill 6 hours, one couple is acutally 6.5 hours. We;ve decided to bring DVD player.

?Thanks for the link I will look into it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

well I wanted to post what actually happened.

We were off the ship by 930 am and we had a van waiting for us that we had prebooked for the eight of us. Cost was $87, much cheaper than if booked just as a couple with sharing, and the ship was charging $25 per person for a bus.

We arrived at the airport around 1030 am, flight wasn't until 4 pm for us with Air Canada and our friends were at 4:30 with Alaskan.

We were able to check our bags in as soon as we arrived at the airport, but our friends on Alaskan had to wait unil 11:30.

We walked around but there wasn't much to do at our terminal so we walked over to the international terminal and had lunch and did some window shopping. Back to our terminal and we grabbed a Starbucks.

Note, that at our terminal and most of the others there is not much to do to kill time, no shops minimal places to eat unless you go to international terminal. Once you clear security there were many more options and we went to duty free and did some shopping.

We had brought a portable DVD player and watched a movie and amazingly the time passed rather quickly.

Thanks for all your input.

Note that there was no lockers as stated earlier.

Archived