Pompeii visit

77skidoo

take the train to pompeii stop and walk about 100 feet to entrance to pompeii.... walk thur on your own ... get the headphones for your langauge...but you can take one of the tours they offer there if you want too... .. we were there for 6 hrs and still didn't see it all...it was a wonderful way to spend the day...be sure to take a water bottle .. ( water is so expensive). we filled our water bottle every morning before we left the ship from the water pitcher in the room.... and then filled them at water fountains...

i really enjoyed pompeii

Tonia

We had a guide. With the guide you get what he wants to say not what the tape says.

He pointed out the 'hard' wood beams were painted soft wood as the Comorra had done a barrow job. He also pointed out how various articaftes had 'disappeared' overnight. Also how the curator drove a very large and expensive car, or he had, he said with a grin, until he was thrown in jail!

You can ask a guide questions. Would the guide tape tell you what happened to the brothel? The USAAF bombed it during the war; the only building to be hit. :)

Hi, I'm new to this...so I posted this question in the wrong place before...let me try again. I need a good recommendation for a tour of Pompeii. Ideas?

This is probably not the best place to post this question but that's OK, the people on the Celebrity board are pretty friendly. :)

Your best bet for information is to go to Cruise Critic Message Boards --> Ports of Call --> Europe --> Eastern and Western Med. At the upper right hand corner of the board is a link for "Search this Forum" (I think that's what it says). Enter Pompeii and hit go. You'll have more info than you'll know what to do with.

Anyway..

When we were there we had hired a driver for the day to take us there and to the Amalfi Coast. He arranged a private guide for us and I'm so glad we went that way. It was so much more personal and informative. When he spotted a large tour group coming we would head somewhere else. It was great.

You really should post this question on the Port/Europe boards. If you did that I (and others ) would tell you how to get to the Naples train station, buy your ticket, validate your ticket, take the Circumvesuviania Line to the Pompeii Scavi Station (not the Pompeii station), buy your ticket to the ruins (10 Euros), and decide whether you want to join a tour with a guide (about another 10 Euros) or simply get the self-tour headphones. But, since you posed this thread in the wrong place we will not give you any of that information. :)

Hank

We hired a driver for a private excursion & make it to Pompeii just before it was open. There are many guides for hire when you are going in and we collected a small group at the entrance. We were in right away and were quite a bit through the tour in an almost empty Pompeii. I remember we turned a corner and there were the large groups off the busses. Whew! It was very hot and remember there are lot's of rock radiating heat as well. Add several hundread additional bodies and I'm so glad we had the chance to see Pompeii with just a handful of others. Highly recommend that you make it your first stop and then off to tour the Amalfi coast. Enjoy!

I'll go along with the others who suggested taking the train and touring Pompeii yourself or joining a tour there. There's a lot to see and we wanted to do it at our own pace. We're glad we did it that way.

One note of warning though if you decide to take a taxi to the Naples train station. The taxi drivers near the ship will all try to take you to Pompeii. They do not want to lose the big fare and take you to the train station. However, about a block away (and one taxi driver was kind enough to point it out to us) is a taxi stand where the drivers will be happy for the fare to the train station.

It's about a 20-30 minute walk to the train station, but we wanted to save our walking for Pompeii.

Do you have problems walking for long periods? If so then Pompeii is not for you, it is a wonderful place to visit, but does involve a great deal of walking for long perods of time. Also getting up and down from the walking area , crossing the roadway and stepping up on the other side often means a step up of over 9 inches.

There is no where to sit or rest halfway through the tours. I loved it when I did it several years ago, but could not do it now that I am a senior.

Enjoy your trip

Another option for getting to the Naples train station is to simply take the local tram. There is a stop directly in front of the port terminal and I know that the #1 tram goes to the station (so do some of the other routes).

Hank

We hired a private driver and we arrived at Pompeii before it opened. He got us a tour guide and we were the first people into the ruins. For the first hour or so it was like having Pompeii to ourselves. As we were finishing the tour the cruise excursion folks were just starting their tours.

After Pompeii we had a lovely drive down the Amalfi coast, including lunch at a wonderful restaurant with the most magnificent view and the best Spaghetti in a Bag ever!!

Archived