Long Dress Dilemma

We can only relate our personal experiences.

Yes I have and unfortunately they have all had to be returned. The one purchase I made from Ebay didn't fit at all and there was no return, that was $20 plus shipping down the toilet. Not a huge amount of cash, but I could have put it into another dress from a store that I knew would fit.

I don't know how much money I've wasted on shipping costs alone ordering clothes online and had to return because of poor fit. I still order things online, but it has to be a brand I know and have used in the past.

So I now only buy clothes in person. I'm sure others have had better luck than I have had.

I buy dresses all the time on line. For retail, I stick to stores that are in my area for easy returns. For ebay, I stick to brands I typically buy so I know my size and only pay minimal amounts. I got dresses for $10 to $20 that retail for $150 to $250. So far, I'm doing well and almost everything is great. I think it just depends on how well you know your sizing and what you are willing to "risk" if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the ideas, like the idea about returning it to a store if it does not fit, unfortunately I live in a small town (even the one horse left).

Wish we did have a Neiman Marcus or a Nordstrom within easy travelling distance there may be one in Orlando but by the time you've paid for gas add on the 4 - 4 1/2 hours travelling time I'm not sure its worth it.

The choice online seems fantastic in comparison to stores I have visited still might take the plunge.

I brought both my dresses off ebay. They were from designers who I had had dresses from before, and I knew that they would fit. I was extremely happy with them, had I not have been I would have resold them.

Have already brought another one (for next year) - a Gina Bacconi- which has been worn once, and cost £12 as compared to £150+. I love it!

Go on, give ebay a try!

BigD

Having just gone through the experience of my daughter's wedding, I would suggest trying any local bridal salons to try on dresses. If you like a particular dress, but price is an issue, you can go to many of the bridal dress sites and order one on line. I bought my mother-of-the bride dress at a discount formal dress store locally, but they also had it on the Nordstrom website and, to my amazement, I spotted it much less expensive in the Chadwick's catalog.

Well, it sounds like your options will really open up online. Take the time to do your measurements and compare with the sites sizing (not all sizing is the same!). If I were you, I'd look for a more forgiving fabric, such as a jersey knit, also easier to pack. The stiffer fabrics have to have an exact fit to look right.

Try to keep in mind what type of neckline and silhouette looks best on your figure. As well as color, not all evening gowns have to be black! Don't just order a dress because you think you love it, really think it through.

I can take 5 dresses into a dressing room, thinking that one of them will look good on me and come out returning all 5 dresses. I've gotten to the point where I don't buy what I don't love, I know I won't ever wear it and I refuse to "get by" with something that just looks OK.

There are a multitude of online stores, discount as well as high end. You might give a price point, how much you are willing to spend for further recommendations. My personal favorite is Nordstrom, they have great sale prices and the return is simple.

I'm not a great Ebay shopper, if I'm looking for something and find it, I don't want to waste a few days wondering if I "win" the sale. Although I have bought a few computer parts on a "buy now" basis that worked out OK :)

I live in a small town too. We have 3 signal lights and they are all on the same road leading into and out of town.

Try TravelSmith.com and Coldwater Creek.com. These stores are a little pricey but go for their clearance links Thrifts stores are a great place to start looking too. Try asking family members and co-workers if they have anything they will be willing to lend you or even sale to you at a yard sale price.

Try Chadwicks and Chadwicks Clearance Outlet sites as well as Kohl's online and Overstock.com. I have ordered for years from each of them -- some good fits some bad fits. Easy return policy too

Good Luck -- I am looking for something as well this year -- the cruises I take are the only opportunity I have to dress up formal :)

Another thing to keep in mind is the summer clearance sales will be coming shortly - bridal shops, thrift stores, Goodwill, yard sales etc

You should not only take your body measurements according to the website's instructions, but also measure a garment in your closet that you like and that fits you well. Then ask for the actual garment measurements if they are not listed.

Also note what will work well for your body type and purchase those styles. I am relatively thin with a small chest and wider bottom half so I choose a lot of empire waist style a-line dresses, or the "fifties" style with the big bell skirts and small waists. Sometimes I get bored buying the same old thing and will try to branch out to a halter dress or sheath style and then just find myself returning it. Go with what works.

Hi

I have my first cruise coming up in December :) and I want a couple of long dresses, thought this was an easy thing to find but not so.

Have any of you bought Evening dresses or Coctail online?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

You don't have to limit yourself to long dresses. A pair of silk or crepe pants with a pretty top would work too. And you can mix and match that way. So keep your eyes open to that too. Might be easier to fit.

Archived