Any news on hurricane damage at ports?

jratly

CC's Hurricane Zone

Looks like it will take Costa Maya 6 to 8 months to recover. Over 50% of the pier is damaged. I believe the ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel were spared significant damage, at least to the tourist infrastructure.

As of today, Rhapsody is still scheduled to be in Grand Cayman tomorrow and Cozumel on Friday.

Hey there megnsamsgracie, I will also be on the Enchantment of the Seas cruise on 8-27-07!

Very interested to see how Cozumel and Belize are looking right now, sounds like it won't be too bad.

This will be our 4th cruise, this is our 2nd time with kids.

Awesome! I didnt see many on our roll call! What are you planning on doing in Cozumel? We are looking at going to Paradise Beach and cant find someone to come with us! This one we are going kidless... first cruise. Second one will be with the kids in Dec!

Don't worry walk out of the terminal, grab a taxi. Go alone have some fun.

We have a large group of 15, 3 families and 2 grandparents. Our desires in Cozumel will vary but most everyone has wanted to snorkel. We range from 3yrs old to the 60's. The grandmother of the group is Chilean and speaks Spanish so we will rely on her communication and our large number to get us some great deals. This group is not the planning ahead type but I am the researcher so I have spent some time figuring out a great spot.

I have read from another few websites that a great place to snorkel is a place called Dzul Ha Beach Club. The tip is to ask the taxi to take you to Club del Sol instead of Dzul Ha because it is directly adjacent to Dzul Ha but across a taxi border so you'll pay several dollars less. It goes on to say that you may not be asked to pay a cover charge but it may just depend on how busy they are. Another tip is that if you go between 9-10:30am or after 4pm it is less busy. I suppose you can just get snorkel gear in town to rent before you get in the taxi. It didn't mention that part.

Not sure if our group will do this but it was the best alternative to a large dive tour that will cost $40 per person and up. Plus we have a lot of little ones that won't try snorkeling and even if we pay less for their tour, it still seems a waste of money just for a boat ride.

I just realized I went off the topic - sorry people.

Snorkel sites in Cozumel! Chankanaab Park is a national park with a sand beach up to the sea wall and then down some steps to the water. Reef come up to the sea wal and is marked. You are not allowed inside marked to prevent walking and damage on coral. Dzul Ha is a coral & rock beach with very little if any sand. For kids who are not going to snorkel then Chankanaab Park (park fee required. ) is better choice (IMO). Taxi will take you to both spots. For beach and pool and eats (no good snorkel areas) Playa Mia with shops (Flea Market style) under cover restaurant with drinks and beach.

Archived