Just Returned From Alaska...Vancouver Departure

Transfer from aiport is a breeze and no brainer. Transfer desk is right outside Customs. There is no need for reservations. Limo cost ranges from $35-$45 plus tax and tip. 3 or more travelers with one suitcase and a handcarry each will require a limo. A Sedan's trunk is tooooooooooo small to accomodate the 3 suitcases. Two of my brothers took cabs that cost them $27.

Had to organize rooms for a group of 16 which precluded using Hotline, etc...stayed in the Comfort Inn Downtown. Would recommend! Price was right and the staff excellent!! Location is also good. Had a brother stay at the Howard Johnson. He and his wife (she is in the hotel business) liked it. I can tell you the office staff is great and have a sense of humor.

Transfer from the hotels to Cananda Place was by cab organized the morning of boarding (per request of cab company). The only hitch was someone hijacked one of our cabs. At the time didn't seem like something to argue about, but in the end put me 15 minutes behind the group and they took on a life of their own once at the terminal.

FYI...your first stop is U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Expect a **** xruise line contract employee to order Canadians in one line, all others in another line and only reluctanly offer an explanation of what is going on. After CBP, you enter the check in line to board the cruise.

Thanks for the all the helpful info! I travel extensively for work and sometimes several of us travel together - I'm all too familiar with the hi-jacked cabs! We're pretty "protective" of our group cabs now :)

Thanks again for taking the time to share!

This aspect of our proposed cruise is really puzzling me......it sounds like it could be a mess getting away from the pier. And, then once at the airport, you have to clear US customs prior to security (did this in Calgary and it was a horrible way to end a great vacation). And then I read about something called US Direct but can't get specifics on them. Help, please, from someone who has been there, done that!!!

This aspect of our proposed cruise is really puzzling me......it sounds like it could be a mess getting away from the pier. And, then once at the airport, you have to clear US customs prior to security (did this in Calgary and it was a horrible way to end a great vacation). And then I read about something called US Direct but can't get specifics on them. Help, please, from someone who has been there, done that!!!

You must purchase a transfer from a participating cruise line and you must be travelling on a participating airline. Full information is at http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/travelAgents/usDirect.html

Cruise Lines

• Carnival Cruise Lines
  • Celebrity Cruises
  • Holland America Line
  • Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Princess Cruises
  • Royal Caribbean

Airlines

• Air Canada/Jazz
  • Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air
  • America West
  • American Airlines
  • Continental Airlines
  • Delta Airlines
  • Northwest Airlines
  • United Airlines

Essentially, you are in quarantine from the minute you leave the ship until the moment you are through to the airport's arm for US flights.

Someone who has used US Direct please advise: what the service cost; what time you left the ship; how long it took to get from the pier til you got off bus and in the security line; and whether there is a separate security line for business/first class flyers. We are at the point where we have to make plane reservations and want to upgrade our flights so need to know what time we can reasonably expect to fly out of Vancouver. Many, many thanks!

Archived