Scuba Diving Classes

In looking over over previous Cruise Compasses from the LOS, I noticed that they have dive lessons and a dive shop. Has anyone heard of these? When I called the people for Shore Excursions , they told me this wasn't available on this ship. :confused: Any advice ?? Would appreciate any feedback ... Thanks !!:)

Tigerlady thanks for posting that question my family and i were wondering the same thing and any info would help. My wife and i want to learn how to dive :) . and if you dont mind may i add a couple of more questions .

How much is it? is it worth it? would we be able to dive at any of the island ports?

Anyfeed back would be very appreciated:D

Happy cruising to ALL

Yes, diving is available on the LOS and many of the other ships. But before you get too excited, you should really think about what you want to get out of learning to dive on your cruise. Do you want to spend your free time on the ship reading a text book and taking the pool course? Full PADI certification is a lot of work - well worth it in terms of knowledge and safety, but still a lot of work. I'm a certified diver and I "sort of" learned on vacation at a land based resort. But instead of spending our "play time" reading a book, watching a video, taking tests and going through our paces in a pool, we decided to do all of that at home, then just do what are called referral dives at our resort. Another thing to keep in mind, aside from all of the "study" time while you're on vacation, is the fact that dives are not guaranteed. If the weather's rough, you might not be able to complete the course. For example, you might get two dives in at one port, but not be able to get the other four in before your trip ends (assuming you are going for open water certification).

Another thing to consider is what you're actually getting for what you pay. When DH and I saw the PADI certification listed as an excursion offered by RCI, we thought it would be a great way for him to get certified so he could dive with me. But when I inquired about it, I found out that only two open water dives are included, not the full four needed for open water certification. If you take the course offered onboard, you may not get the full certification you are expecting. So rather than risk not having an opportunity to get all four certification dives done while on our cruise (and rather than wasting our fun time on studying) my husband did a course here in NY - book, video, tests, pool, open water dives and everything. It only took him a few weeks from start to finish, but it allowed him enough time to really learn everything and to become comfortable with the whole process of diving.

That's just my two cents, though. I guess it really depends on what your expectations are.

They also did the two extra dives needed for the certificate. The time spent in class and studying did take them away for some of the time on the cruise but not alot. They studied in the evening when DD and I attended the shows (DH and DS are not into shows) and the classes were usually in the mornings. They had a great time at all 4 dives and their certification came in the mail about 4 weeks after the course. All equipment was provided except snorkel and mask which they wanted to have of their own anyway because we all snorkeled on one excursion. Watching them just dunk the masks in dish detergent water and hanging them up for the next group made us happy we had our own equipment. If you choose to take the course it is $249 pp for the classes and 2 dives. the other 2 dives (open water) were another 175 pp. YOu have to make sure the 2 extra dives are going to be offered at another one of the stops. We did not see them listed in the regular excursions but the dive shop had them scheduled for those that wanted them. Both DS and DH enjoyed them despite having to study for a test at the conclusion of the course. They actually elected to take their test early and had the last day at sea to themselves while the rest of the class was testing. Be sure to check in with the dive shop by 6 pm the night you board to make sure you are in a class and get there early the next morning because the wetsuits sometimes go fast. (DH needed the largest they had and there was one left for him to use). We were lucky to have excellent weather too. DD and I did the reef and wreck snorkel on Caymen Isl. and have a blast. The water was literally "boiling" with fish. Apparently the captain usually feeds the fish and they were there waiting for their "bribes". It was amazing and I don't actually like to swim. Good luck and have fun!!

sue

I completely concur with Beth on this. I too am a certified diver, and I truly don't believe that attempting to become certified on a cruise is the way to go. There really is a ton of reading and pool work that needs to be accomplished prior to taking your open water certification dives. And..there's a reason for it. There's a lot to take in. If you can do it, you should really try to complete certification prior to taking your cruise. In my opinion, you'll have a lot more fun on your trip.

Archived