arriving at 1pm at port considered late?

goodtimes247

HI All, First time cruiser here. I've read from reviews that it is good to arrive early so you can avoid the crowds, book reservations for Chops or portonfino, dinner seating, spas and stuff of that nature. If we arrive at 1pm is that too late? This is for Mariner of the Seas.

We have two options. A shuttle that leaves from orlando at 11:45am or book a private transport for 80 bucks more and arrive at 11am?

which would you pick?

Thanks again!

:o

My advice is to take the the shuttle for arrival at 1 o'clock - you'll arrive in time for lunch and probably breeze through embarkation!

We usually arrive at most ports around 11 or noon, but the hour or so difference you're talking about won't make much difference and shouldn't interfere with making reservations at the specialty restaurants or spa.

Save the $80 for something fun or gambling or shopping or the spa or ........ :)

Congratulations on your FIRST cruise - consider yourself warned that it may become addicting - just look at all of us on this board! ;)

Have a blast!

The booking documents will probably say 2:00 p.m. but you can often get on board at 12:00 or even earlier. These days there are few queues to check-in because of the on-line system things are so much faster.

We arrived for one cruise last year at 1:30 p.m. (we decided not to take the ship's transport). We were the only passengers arriving at that time, with more than 30 check-in clerks all looking at us:eek: We thought that we were going to be alone on board, or had gone to the wrong terminal. But no, the ship was full. We can only assume that all of the busses arrived at the same time and we thankfully missed them.

HI All, First time cruiser here. I've read from reviews that it is good to arrive early so you can avoid the crowds, book reservations for Chops or portonfino, dinner seating, spas and stuff of that nature. If we arrive at 1pm is that too late? This is for Mariner of the Seas.

We have two options. A shuttle that leaves from orlando at 11:45am or book a private transport for 80 bucks more and arrive at 11am?

which would you pick?

Thanks again!

:o

No, you'll get there about the time the cabins are opening up. You can check in and dump your bags in your room, grab a bite to eat in the WindJammer and then go book Chops or Portofino.

d

We've arrived early and late. When we get there early, we have waited to board with the crowds. It seems everyone is arriving early to avoid the crowds.

When we've gotten there late, with the exception of one computer glitch, we generally wait in line to check in, maybe 15 minutes, then walk through security and board, no waiting.

Once, I was a little stressed because we didn't get there until 1:30 and there was a line to board, a fairly long line, but it went quickly. The hotel manager was on the elevator later that day with us and told us there had been a plumbing problem and boarding hadn't even started until 1 pm. We ended up being the lucky ones on that embarkation day.

The upside to boarding later for us has been that our luggage has arrived surprisingly soon. I can't say why, but perhaps it is on the top of the pile, rather than the bottom?

So, to the OP, save a few bucks, those few minutes won't make a big difference.

On my cruise in April, I arrived around 1:30 p.m. There was no lines at all!! It took about 15 minutes for me to process,take my photo and board the ship. Another great thing was my room was ready and I went right to my room and drop my stuff off.

I still got my spa packages for the time that I wanted. I ate in the dining room because of my great tablemates.

I arrived early, but I think from now on, I will arrive after 1:15 p.m.

Archived