Live From Liberty Of The Seas!!

Well, our week is almost over and there's just been no time to post. As I'm waiting for our room steward to finish preparing our room for the night and I go pack, I figured I'd sit down and spend some money on the internet.

The cruise has been wonderful. We've met some great people from CC and have had some great times with the friends we've made from the boards. The positives have definitely outweighed any negatives this week. The service has been wonderful. The ship is full but I haven't waited in line for anything.. well, maybe a bingo card or two :D , but we really haven't even noticed the crowd. The weather was beautiful. We saw no evidence of Dean on any of the islands we visited (San Juan, Labadee and St Maarten) and had no adverse weather.

Of course you have the usual chair hogs and.. my least favorite.. Roulette chair hogs!! Please people! I have money to waste! MOve over!

The worst thing that happened to us was probably getting seated at a table with a couple that had obviously lost all the joy in their lives and tried to get it back by berating the staff and anyone else that they could get ahold of. Luckily for us, one of our wonderful cruise critic families came to our rescue (after much begging and pleading on our part) and invited us to their table. The head waiter, Peter, was able to contact a couple that was assigned to their table but had not shown up by the third night, and asked them if they would mind changing to another table (not the ugly table) and they did. What a guy! If you get the chance to meet him, do so. He is definitely someone who's a pleasure to know and he's also the Captain's Head Waiter so he can help you out in a bind.

We did not enjoy San Juan as much as we expected to. We did not book an excursion and just wandered around the city. I don't recommend it, there's nothing much to see but a few old dusty souvenir shops and a nice fort, not much more. I would recommend booking an excursion or staying on the ship.

St Maarten was nice. We took the advice of a few others who said, "the french side is soooo much nicer" and went over to Marigot. The french side is NOT much nicer. Its not nicer at all. Phillipsburg has much more to offer if you're wanting to shop. Its cleaner, and I think having had the benefit of the cruise ships docking right at the pier has brought in an income that has boosted the economy much better than the French side. I'd recommend staying there unless you want to do the beaches at Orient, which I heard was very nice.

Labadee was a great beach day. We did the kayaking excursion, slightly strenuous but not so much that two forty-somethings who don't exercise regularly could do it.

This is just an on-the-fly report. Excuse any typos, I'm trying to get this done in under ten minutes to keep the expense down to a minimum. Will write more when I get back.

Archived