Jewish tour of Ephesus

You will find that the cruise does not stop in Ephesus itself, but at Kusadasi, a half hour drive away, or possibly at Izmir, which I believe to be a couple of hours drive away.

Izmir has a long Jewish heritage, which you can google, or follow the link below:

http://www.bh.org.il/Communities/Archive/Izmir.asp

I suggest that you contact Ekol Travel, who provide tours and private guides in this area. Their details are at

http://www.ekoltravel.com/

Paul S

We just did this tour in June. We did Jewish Ephesus and Istanbul. Ekol did all the arrangements. You need to submit info ahead of time for security reasons. Ekol did all the work- we just provided the information. We had a little scare with them as our driver was arrested while we were in the van. Since we couldn't understand what was said, they told us that it is common there????????? The owner came and talked to us and then we got a new driver and new van. Just a little excitement in a strange place. But, they do know the Jewish places to visit. Have a great trip

We are planning a cruise next fall that stops in Ephesus. Does anyone have a recommendation for a tourguide for a jewish tour outiside of Ephesus?

Thanks.

Contact Levent Solmaz. He is an outstanding guide, from Izmir, and well familiar with those sites. Just search his name here on Cruisecritic.

We are planning a cruise next fall that stops in Ephesus. Does anyone have a recommendation for a tourguide for a jewish tour outiside of Ephesus?

Thanks.

I suggest you contact Hayim Algazi, at haymi@superonline.com

He was the Jewish guide we used in June for Istanbul and came recommended by the Chief Rabbi's office. He was great. If he doesn't do Ephesus and Ismir, then he should be able to give you someone who does. I really suggest you use a Jewish guide to tour Jewish areas or want the Jewish perspective, not a gentile guide, no matter how good they are.

Jef

• 6 months later...
We just did this tour in June. We did Jewish Ephesus and Istanbul. Ekol did all the arrangements. You need to submit info ahead of time for security reasons. Ekol did all the work- we just provided the information. We had a little scare with them as our driver was arrested while we were in the van. Since we couldn't understand what was said, they told us that it is common there????????? The owner came and talked to us and then we got a new driver and new van. Just a little excitement in a strange place. But, they do know the Jewish places to visit. Have a great trip

What are the Jewish site to look for in Ephesus? It looks like I will be getting a free tour through my TA but would like to know if there is anything I should look for at the ruins?

• 5 years later...
What are the Jewish site to look for in Ephesus? It looks like I will be getting a free tour through my TA but would like to know if there is anything I should look for at the ruins?

The only Jewish thing I remember in Ephesus was the Menorah on the steps of the Library (which is featured in all the Ephesus photos). I think there was a synagogue but don't remember it still be there.

Archived