Millenium question

cycle

We are 40 and 42 and have been on 3 RCI cruises and are in the process of booking Millenium for Jan 20 08.We have really enjoyed RCI cruises but now feel it would be good to try a different product and just wondering if there is much difference between the two. Thank you for any replies.

My husband and I (ages 42 and 35) tried Celebrity this summer, after having sailed RCCL four times before. We were very impressed by the extra touches of service. Entertainment seemed aimed at an older crowd than RCCL, but we liked that. I highly recommend it!:)

Hi,

I can understand apprehension. Our first cruise -- when we were approx. 30 and 32 -- was RCI Enchantment. Four with X, then two with Princess, and in Jan with X. We're now 40 and 38.

So much of any of this depends on personal preference. We cruise for romance and solitude. We don't care anything about nighttime entertainment. We usually eat at a table for two. And we book our own port adventures. Because of that, we look for an older crowd. We book 10 or more days during times when school is in session to cut down on kid factor.

In our view, of the three we've sailed, RCI was youngest in age and spirit. Avg. 30s to 40s. Princess middle, avg. 40s to 50s. X eldest with avg. 50s to 60s. X has had fewest children.

We like X for a couple of reasons. It's understated. The ship seems to be laid out to provide privacy, rather than a place to gawk at one another. And many cruisers have vast travel experience and expect good service (and receive it). They're not easily dazzled.

That said, the bars and disco are often empty by 11 p.m. (Some may be disappointed by this, but we like having the ship to ourselves...by the time we return to our cabin, we often are the only ones out on a balcony (at least that we can see)). The activities skew old. The crew is very friendly and professional, but a bit more stoic than the other two lines. And the food (and we've found most cruise food) is generally bland. Limited sushi and other items break up monotony, though. Alcohol is more expensive.

As for socializing -- you should have no problem. Our best tablemates ever were on our RCI cruise. Jim and Darlene, 88 and 89. World travelers with wonderful stories. Charm. Wit. And a couple of double Dewar's at dinner each night ; ) Sometimes, age doesn't matter.

I am 65 and my wife is 58. We have sat with every age group on the 15 cruises that we have been on and age was never an indicator of how well we enjoyed our table mates or other people that we have met on a cruise.

Some people who were in their thirties bored us to death , others were interesting and enjoyable to dine with every night. Some older people who were are age seemed to miss growing up the fifties and sixties and seemed like they were from the forties. They seemed and acted older then they really were.

Who the heck was Glen Miller anyway?

We are 40 and 42 and have been on 3 RCI cruises and are in the process of booking Millenium for Jan 20 08.We have really enjoyed RCI cruises but now feel it would be good to try a different product and just wondering if there is much difference between the two. Thank you for any replies.

We like both lines.

We travel more with X, but just did Alaska on the Vision of the Seas, We were really treated great with reagards perks. RCCL does it right also.

Drinks are better priced on RCCL, but you cannot beat X's room service.

My hubby and I are booked on that same cruise!

We are 38 and 36 and have cruised many times a with RCI. However, we have decided to move on (semi-permanently) to Celebrity. We've cruised X twice before and had good experiences. The cabins are nicer and (sadly) the food is better. I used to believe that nothing could hold a candle to RCI but lately I've been disappointed. The clientele is slipping, the ships are getting WAY TOO large for any type of personalized service and the meals just aren't what they used to be. I hope that you enjoy your cruise!

Archived