*Wondering*

Lipz

[font=Fixedsys][color=black]Do you REALLY put on weight from being on a cruise?:eek: [/color][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][color=black][/color][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][color=black]I am going on my very first cruise this week, Thurs-Monday, and I have lost 53 pounds since I started living healthier this time last year. The first thing I packed were workout clothes since I found out that the ship has a gym. I will only miss two days of working out which is the day we dock in Cozumel, because we want to be off the ship as early as possible & see all that we can see, and on the day we come back home, due to travel. In a way though I will get some form of exercise while swimming on the beach in Cozumel. [/color][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][color=black]How much weight has anyone put on while on a short cruise?[/color][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][color=black]Lipz*[/color][/font]

Lipz - Don't worry about gaining weight while cruising! It's a time to enjoy yourself! That's not to say that you should go "overboard" (pardon the pun) and pig out until you're sick, but enjoy the goodies that the ship offers. Take the stairs instead of the elevator and visit the gym when you can. Drink as much water as you can too. Walking around in port will help too.

Most ships have things on their menu that are low fat/low carb options and what I have sampled are excellent. I never passed on dessert, but I did try to limit desserts to dinner only.

When you get home, get right back on your plan. It sounds like you've done a great job already. Keep up the great work!

Most of all, enjoy your cruise! You're going to love cruising!

Lynn

:p I gained 7 pounds on our first cruise last year but discovered that it was all bloat from eating exotic foods and drinking soda water on ice only to discover that it was loaded with sodium. (swollen feet and ankles) Within a week of coming home it had all come off.:p

Been on 3 cruises, 2 that were 12 day and 1 that was 7 days with a 3N post cruise stay. On each cruise I gained less than 2 pounds. I do have a weight problem and have been on vacations before where I would gain 7# in 7 days (although DH says its physically not possible). I went to the gym on sea days and occasionally on port days, used steps, and still tasted the sweets at every meal--just wouldn't eat the whole thing.

Congratulations on your weight loss. How did you do it, it you don't mind me asking?

[quote name='cruisintwinsmom']I do have a weight problem and have been on vacations before where I would gain 7# in 7 days (although DH says its physically not possible). [/QUOTE]

Tell DH he is soooo wrong. I gained 15 pounds on my last 7 day cruise. I had lost 7 the 4 weeks before the cruise. Eight pounds was the famous water gain. So, one week later I weighed the same as I had the month before I left. Which was 70 less than the year before.

So, eat smart and don't get upset about your gain, if any, untill a week later.

Melody

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]first 2 cruises NO,, :D ,,, then..... the last 2 i gained 5 pounds on each.. :( [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]just now lost 4 of the 5 from my RHAPSODY cruise 4 weeks ago... :D [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]i will say we were so LOST & in awe on our first cruises we spent most of the time walking around AND that included up & down the STAIRS... :eek: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]BTW, JDLEWIS,,,, did you say the ICE is loaded with sodium??? :confused: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]i dread the SCALE after my 14 day cruise coming up in DEC. on the LOS.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Lipz'][font=Fixedsys][color=black]Do you REALLY put on weight from being on a cruise?:eek: [/color][/font]

[font=Fixedsys][color=black]I am going on my very first cruise this week, Thurs-Monday, and I have lost 53 pounds since I started living healthier this time last year. The first thing I packed were workout clothes since I found out that the ship has a gym. I will only miss two days of working out which is the day we dock in Cozumel, because we want to be off the ship as early as possible & see all that we can see, and on the day we come back home, due to travel. In a way though I will get some form of exercise while swimming on the beach in Cozumel. [/color][/font]

[font=Fixedsys][color=black]How much weight has anyone put on while on a short cruise?[/color][/font]

[font=Fixedsys][color=black]Lipz*[/color][/font][/QUOTE]
Lipz, there's a little running joke among some of us old timers who tease me because I always lose weight while on a cruise -- short or long. Yes, I have more wine and beer than I would drink at home -- I'm on vacation. Part of my secret is I'm overall more active than at home. I walk around a lot on the islands, or I snorkel. I also take the stairs as much as possible while on the ship -- skip the elevators if you can. The more you walk around, the more exercise you get. Plus, you get to see more of the ship and the people!!!

You may experience some water weight gain if you're used to not using a lot of salt. I take a water pill to combat that problem -- I do it at home, too, even though I use very little salt.

Have a GREAT time and let us know how you did when you return.

NiniB, I've never heard of sodium in the ice, but I guess it is possible since the water is desalinated on the ship.

For OTC water pills, I have a few recommendations. The one I use is from GNC, it's their brand -- Wateretix. I like this the best because it's herbal. It says to take one after every meal, but I take it just once a day and it really makes a difference for me.

The other two that I've tried before and might recommend for short-term relief are Direux2 (not sure of spelling) with Calcium and AquaBan. Those, I find, are not quite as effective, but they do help. I have found I do have to take those at least twice a day.

[quote name='NiniB'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]is it true about the sodium in the ice??? can you recommend a over the counter water pill???? :confused: thanks.... :) [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
I think she was referring to drinking soda water - carbonated water - which contains a lot of sodium. I think we're okay with the ice and regular water.

[quote name='meganwithanh']I think she was referring to drinking soda water - carbonated water - which contains a lot of sodium. I think we're okay with the ice and regular water.[/QUOTE]

The drinking water and ice made from it IS distilled salt water and does contain higher than normal amounts of sodium. I had this verified on ship. I have to take my water pill type BP medication when on a cruise or double the current dosage per doc.

Melody

I eat what I want and exercise 1 hour a day like I do at home and do not have a problem. I am terrified that if I don't get my workout in I will slip badly.. BUT that said there are creative ways to get that workout in on a cruise. I do active excursions and walk the decks, not just pump iron in the exercise room..

I also don't worry about what I am eating. I have what I want and don't let the guilt get me as long as I am active.

Archived