Can someone give me the latest info. on...

smashley

passports? I apologize if I am beating a dead horse, but at this point it's important that I make sure my information is correct.

I am going on a cruise January 5, 2008 and was told that I would not need a passport, just my BC and photo ID. The itinerary includes Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Will I have any problem with those ports if I don't have one? I realize that it is wise to have one anyway in case of an emergency but I am asking in a general sense.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you will need a passport starting Jan.1, 2008 I was told.

Kat

The following is a from the Department of Homeland Security Website. If I'm reading this correctly, this is saying as of January 31, 2008 - you will need to show a driver's license and birth certificate for land and sea crossings, with full implementation of passports to become effective in the summer of 2008.

As the first rational step as we move towards full WHTI implementation, DHS intends to end the routine practice of accepting oral declarations alone at land and sea ports of entry. On Jan. 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

At a later date to be determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security in consultation with the Secretary of State, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

Last week I was online for a couple of hours trying to fin out the REAL answer for someone, I have a passport so it doesn't infuence me. There is no actual SET date, that is what is making it so difficult. When you read up it says a date but then says......it extended the WHTI passport and pass card deadlines for traveling across the U.S. border by sea and land until no later than June 1, 2009. Ok NO LATER THAN.... So even THEY don't know the date? How can this be? People don't generally book their vacation a week in advance. (ok I do but I'm an odd duck lol)

I have been assured numerous times by several people @ Carnival that I will not need a passport for my cruise in February. My PVP has told me they are in direct contact with whoever sets the dates and regulations (can't remember the dept he spoke of) and they will not be needed until July of 08 at the very earliest. So that is good news for the both of us!

Archived