Is Pinel worth the effort from Philipsburg?

zaxmomm

Our ship stops in Philipsburg in November. We were thinking of trying to make our way to Pinel Island. I read on another post that the snorkeling is not so good there. That might be OK if the water is still enjoyable and if the beach is nice. Although I wonder if we might be able to get ALL of the above on a different beach.

I think Orient is not for us. Would Dawn Beach or Little Divi be better than Pinel? We'll have our 15-year old son with us who loves the water.

We were at Pinel a couple of yrs ago and honestly, it wasn't my favorite excursion. I found it not to be very clean. Would I go again? Maybe, but it would definitely be last on my list. Good luck, whatever you choose.

We haven't been to Pinel.

I've never heard about it not being clean.

I've read varying reports about the quality of snorkeling.

BUT; last March a new regulation went into effect for the island, and the four 'restaurants' on the island are under new regulations. The most significant is probably the limit on the number of beach chairs that they can offer.

Before the new limit, the total number of beach chairs available was estimated to be about 300. Under the new limits, each of the four restaurants can offer only 20 chairs.

I think that a large number of visitors will be sitting on their towels (hopefully they brought them along).

gary

<snip>

I think Orient is not for us. Would Dawn Beach or Little Divi be better than Pinel? We'll have our 15-year old son with us who loves the water.

Not Orient?

I really don't like Little Bay (Divi) it just isn't a nice beach.

Depending on the weather conditions on the day that you visit, I would head for Dawn Beach (more pictures) if the winds aren't too stong coming in off of the Atlantic (big waves), or Mullet Bay Beach as an alternative.

All are readily available by taxi.

gary

...We'll have our 15-year old son with us who loves the water.

Other than Maho for the big jet landings/take-offs, Orient Beach is THE one place where a 15-year old would really enjoy.

Other than Maho for the big jet landings/take-offs, Orient Beach is THE one place where a 15-year old would really enjoy.

The only trouble, of course, is that most of the available females will be closer in age to his mother, but hopefully with a large number of ships in that day and high season.........

I'm not suggesting the 15 yo will be looking for available women, but rather have many options for things to do. All kinds of water sports and a range of water (surf) conditions from flat to nice waves. Incredible people watching too. He might even see some things that he doesn't see at home.

The only trouble, of course, is that most of the available females will be closer in age to his mother, but hopefully with a large number of ships in that day and high season.........

Must agree with gary's ?, although I think I get the gist of your statement. Perhaps you mean "visible" females?;) I'm certain that I am definitely closer in age to his mother than to his peers (no kidding, huh?), but I'm certainly not available--except to look at on the beach for anyone who chooses to look (not gawk, not point and laugh, just look--or not).:p

But even if the human scenery isn't full of perfect swimsuit models under the age of 25 (and let's face it, it usually isn't, especially considering that only about 1% of the population meets that definition anyway). The site of confident, not so young and not so perfect bodies isn't likely to scar the poor lad for life.:eek: Plus, the beach itself is just top-notch (as I know you know).:D I recommend it for anyone who wants a wonderful beach day and understands that this is a French beach with French customs.

beachchick

Archived