Have you done a Venetian gondola ride recently?

We're interested in finding out the cost of Gondola rides in Venice.

Also ideas on where to take the ride from and also the pro's and con's of the Grand Canal versus the small side canals. We really want to do a gondola ride whilst there but would like as much help on this subject as possible.

We were in Venice Aug 8 and 9 on the Star Princess. We wandered away from St. Mark's and found a gondola on the back canals. We had read that 70 euros was the going rate for a ride in the afternoon, without a serenade. We offered him this and he took it. There were 4 of us and the ride was for 45 minutes. We tipped him also (10 Euros). We enjoyed the back canals because the launch from Princess took us down the Grand Canal and we wanted to see a different area. It was great fun and we were happy we did it. Enjoy!

We're interested in finding out the cost of Gondola rides in Venice.

Also ideas on where to take the ride from and also the pro's and con's of the Grand Canal versus the small side canals. We really want to do a gondola ride whilst there but would like as much help on this subject as possible.

It's 70 EU..for about 45 minutes best area to get one is not in front of St. Marks Sq.

If you are in the middle of the sq. with your back to the water go to your left ( great shopping that way also) as if walking towards the Rialto bridge..and you will find gondola heaven back there.

We had an evening gondola ride for 100E which lasted 60 minutes. We asked about the serenade but the price doubled so we declined.

Make sure you ask around as prices do vary, we were also quoted 150E for the evening ride around St. Marks Square.

Our ride took us through the smaller canals and out into the Grand Canal only for a brief moment and under the Rialto bridge. It was an amazing way to see the city and well worth the money.

If you don't mind some company the boat can take 6 and the price does not change whether its 2, 4 or 6.

Enjoy

Rich

I'm glad you asked for route recommendations because I think it can make a huge difference. I have been to Venice 5 times and noted each time some poor souls out in the Grand Canal with the speed boats and vaporetto boats being jostled around in the midst of a lot of noise and chaos. That's not my idea of a serene, romantic, and memorable gondola ride.

When we visited Venice in May, we had a 45 minute ride from the corner of St. Mark's Square (if you have your back to the Basilica, the station is on the other end of the square on the right). There's a line for rides early in the day, and the line shortens as the day wears on. (We stayed on the Riva degli Sciavoni and went through that area several times each day.) In the middle of the day, there's no line, but sometimes there are no gondoliers either. Other than that, this is a very busy station with lots of boats departing frequently. Our ride was through the beautiful side canals and out into the Grand Canal briefly in the Rialto Bridge area. We went at about 7:30 p.m. Our gondolier did not sing, but he did give us some historical information as we passed buildings, and it was just great. I do not recommend the gondola stations by the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal or near Doge's Palace because that is where I have seen the passengers in the hectic mess.

You can put up to 8 guests in a gondola and split the 80 Euro fare 8 ways. The official rates are a joke. I remember reading that years ago in a Frommers book, and I've seen it in practice.

I think the vaporetto rides in the Grand Canal are probably a better way to go there.

The gondola ride is a great addition to any Venice stay, so I hope you have a great time.

Donna

Yes, Zebra, you split the fare. And if you don't have a group to split the fare with, the operator at the gondola station will form groups for you. In fact, at the gondola station off St. Mark's Square, you will have to ask to go by yourself if you don't want to go in a group because they just load the gondolas up. I've done it both ways (just hubbie and me and in groups with others that I didn't know), and it's all great. Just depends on what you want.

Have fun,

Donna

Archived