Cayman: Semi-Sub or Turtle Farm?

Host Jacquelyn

We'll be stopping in Cayman on our upcoming cruise, and were wondering about the most exciting activity for a 3 and 4 year old. It's between the Atlantis semi-sub and the Captain Marvin's Turtrle Farm tour. I am leaning towards the semi sub, as I think it would be a cool experience for the kids to ride one, plus they love fish. However, recently I have heard good things about the turtle farm. HAve you done either and what do you think?

Also, as both tours are relatively short, any beach recommendations for the rest of the day with preschooler aged kids?

Turtle farm is great. We really liked it, plus in our opinion, it has the best gift shop in the area - better than in town!!! Haven't done the sub, so can't comment on that. The tour only gave us a very short visit to the turtle farm, and the rest of the tour was not that great. I'd recommend taking a taxi to the turtle farm and staying as long as you like. They also have a "beach" area around a man made lagoon - different prices to do different things.

here's their website:

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

Turtle farm is great. We really liked it, plus in our opinion, it has the best gift shop in the area - better than in town!!! Haven't done the sub, so can't comment on that. The tour only gave us a very short visit to the turtle farm, and the rest of the tour was not that great. I'd recommend taking a taxi to the turtle farm and staying as long as you like. They also have a "beach" area around a man made lagoon - different prices to do different things.

here's their website:

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

Wow, is that the actual turtle farm I've seen referenced here so many times? I had no idea that it had lagoons and such - it looks beautiful. Darn, I was certain I wanted to do the Stingray Sandbar in Grand Cayman, now I'm not sure.

I think after looking at the Atlantis Submarine excursion that is surely one I will have to look into for my kids next October at Grand Cayman. I know DH & I went to the Turtle Farm on our cruise in Feb and were not overly excited about it. Yes, it does have THE BEST gift shop around, but the price are pretty outrageous...and I don't know how long one would really want to be there...for our family, probably an hour or two at the most. I am thinking either the submarine or the Pirate Adventure (I know my tow kiddos are a little older thank your) for our next trip to GC!

We have done the Submarine and found it HOT, TOO CROWDED TO ENJOY AND TOO SHORT! They had soooo many people packed into it that it was very difficult to even get the chance to look out the window, the guy next to us was just about on top of the window the whole time. We also didnt get to sit together as they hearded us in like cattle....My husband & son were at one end & my daughter and myself were at the other end.

I have never been to the Turtle Farm so I have no opinion but I would never again do the sub especially at the high cost! We spent most our time standing around waiting for our scheduled time & We were only under water for less than 20 minutes so not much bang for the buck!:(

Hope you enjoy what ever you decide:D

We have done the Submarine and found it HOT, TOO CROWDED TO ENJOY AND TOO SHORT! They had soooo many people packed into it that it was very difficult to even get the chance to look out the window, the guy next to us was just about on top of the window the whole time. We also didnt get to sit together as they hearded us in like cattle....My husband & son were at one end & my daughter and myself were at the other end.

I have never been to the Turtle Farm so I have no opinion but I would never again do the sub especially at the high cost! We spent most our time standing around waiting for our scheduled time & We were only under water for less than 20 minutes so not much bang for the buck!:(

Hope you enjoy what ever you decide:D

That is good to know...I was thinking about this for our next cruise...but I think you have changed my mind!!!!

That is good to know...I was thinking about this for our next cruise...but I think you have changed my mind!!!!

I guess its just a personal preference because we have friends that went at a different time and they thought it was great. We ususally like different type activities so that may explain the difference.

What ever you decide I hope you have a GREAT time and make lots of fun memories with your kidos....

Archived