Currency Conversion on SetSail Pass

have just printed my set sail pass and filled in the credit card details

NOW it is asking me to to cross one of two choices for the either currency conversion either use the currency of my card [english pounds] or use rccl currency conversion now my dilema is with the pound at just under 2 dollars too the pound which is the best option:confused:

any advice would be gratefully accepted

The usual reply to this one is 'leave it to the credit card to convert from $ to £'. However, many have reported that even when they select this option RCI ignore it and do the conversion for you anyway!

To be honest, I think it is marginal - it depends on how much your on board account is anticipated to be..!

RCI use the rate quoted by Bloomberg [a US version of Reuters] but then charge a 3% charge. Today the midmarket rate is around $2.02 to the £

Your credit card will use a less favourable rate - around £1.95 - and apply their own charges [unless you have a Nationwide card who do not make currency conversion carges apparently]

I guess that doesn't really answer your question does it!!!!?

Hi,

If you have time I would get a Nationwide credit card (as the previous poster mentioned) and request RCI charge you in $'s as Nationwide don't charge any commision or exchange fees. It depends how much you intend to spend but as they say every little helps.

Mick.

The usual reply to this one is 'leave it to the credit card to convert from $ to £'. However, many have reported that even when they select this option RCI ignore it and do the conversion for you anyway!

that has been my experience. RCL doesn't offer great rates but it's not enough to worry about or stand in the long line the last morning to have fixed.

For us, it is better to get the Seapass bill in U.S. funds, we will do much better with the exchange rate on our credit card. Here is what you have to do...RCI routinely ignores the instructions on your Setsail on-line boarding info so during your sailing, you have to go to Guest Relations at least 2x to make sure they understand you want your bill in U.S. funds. Even then, there is no guarantee they will follow your instructions. Trying to correct it on departure morning is a waste of time and RCI knows this.

RCI doing the exchange conversion will likely cost you 3-4% at least, not much perhaps individually but on a per sailing basis, it's big $$ for RCI and is precisely why they ignore instructions.

For us, it is better to get the Seapass bill in U.S. funds, we will do much better with the exchange rate on our credit card. Here is what you have to do...RCI routinely ignores the instructions on your Setsail on-line boarding info so during your sailing, you have to go to Guest Relations at least 2x to make sure they understand you want your bill in U.S. funds. Even then, there is no guarantee they will follow your instructions. Trying to correct it on departure morning is a waste of time and RCI knows this.

RCI doing the exchange conversion will likely cost you 3-4% at least, not much perhaps individually but on a per sailing basis, it's big $$ for RCI and is precisely why they ignore instructions.

True, but most Canadian credit cards have charges on foreign purchases, too. My CIBC card allows visa to charge 2% on foreign exchange and CIBC charges one, for a total of three per cent over the bank rate.

I agree with you that ti will take some persistence in getting it your way.

Archived