Hurricane Dean RUINED my vacation

mandylooo

I was all set to go to costa maya.. and even had an all inclusive beach break set.. Thanks to dean I'm starting over 11 days till sailing.

To be frank, I'm 24 and lack culture and could not care less about Myan ruins (beautiful as they may be) anything in this port up my ally?

I'm looking for white sand clear water and banana daquiris

To be frank, I'm 24 and lack culture and could not care less about Myan ruins (beautiful as they may be) anything in this port up my ally?

You won't find white sand or clear water here, but if you want to veg in a nice place with plenty of drinks, try a trip to Reef Yucatan Resort. You can sun by a gorgeous pool and have an open bar right by you. Not a bad deal for the $$. I know that I got my monies worth. You can book in town where the bus drops you.

You're still going on a Caribbean cruise vacation, aren't you? If that's a "ruined" vacation, then..........well, never mind. I'll hold my tongue.

I urge you to take a "glass is half full" approach and try your hardest to make the best out of your "ruined" Caribbean cruise vacation. I know it might be hard, but give it a go. You might even enjoy yourself. ;)

I totally sympathize with you, as a matter of fact I think we are on the same cruise. I was VERY excited about Costa Maya and so far have not been able to find anything to be excited about for Progresso. That is probably because we are not interested in ruins either, or riding a bus even for 30 minutes to visit what I am sure is an awesome city. Just not our cup of tea. We were hoping for some awesome snorkeling.

I feel bad for the people in Costa Maya and hope they have a speedy recovery and are open again for when I plan next year's cruise!

We plan to walk to whatever beach is 3 blocks from the pier and hang out. It appears as though it will be quite similar to going to Gulf Shores or Pensacola, with the the addition of being served drinks on the beach (hopefully!!)

I was all set to go to costa maya.. and even had an all inclusive beach break set.. Thanks to dean I'm starting over 11 days till sailing.

Someone named Kingfish posted some great pics of Progreso...

and looks like they had tons of fun...

and way too many beers, as they put it ;)

you may want to check it out and see if you can get some more info from KINGFISH .

just a thought

I am quite sure that the OP has sympathy for the residents of the locations that were devastated by Hurricane Dean, however that doesn't mean she can't be disappointed by the loss of something that is important to her.

I too, was most looking forward to Costa Maya, OP, and I am very disappointed that I will not be going there on my cruise in 22 days. However, I believe that fun is what YOU make it... and I intend to have the time of my life. Even if it's just on a ship in the middle of the ocean!

I just wish Carnival would TELL US. It's the uncertainty that's ruining MY pre-vacation!

I wish they would tell us too. They still have Costa Maya on Carnival's site, or at least they did the last time I checked. I am disappointed because the beach is the most important part to me. However, I have heard that Progresso has really good shopping deal, and I am going to make the best of it. I will have fun there, and who knows, it may end up being my favorite port.

We fully understand what the OP is saying.

We leave this Saturday and had everything planned then Dean came and we have no idea where we are going. Now with Felix we probably won't know until we board the ship Saturday morning. I am sure we will have fun no matter where we go.

Wow, good grief. I never meant to cause so much stir!

I certainly do have sympathy for all those who lost everything, and I understand completely my vacation is top tier compared to what the people who were effected are dealing with. I am not ungreatful.... I am however poor. I've been planning this trip for over a year now.. and used the word "ruined" in a light sarcastic sense. For someone who can't vacation, and honestly wishes for the moneyback.... a last minute stick in the wheel like this is pretty discouraging.

sorry for all the grief i've caused.

Next time check what the weather might be like before making reservations.

Hurrican season is from June till November, so there always is a risk sailing in that time of the year.

Better sail in winter or spring...

our first cruise was planned more than a year in advance, for fall 2005. we were flying to texas and going on rhapsody of the seas to key west, cozumel, and grand cayman. while we were packing hurricane wilma had stalled over cozumel and cancun and then was aiming for key west. when we boarded the ship we had no idea where we might be headed. we ended up in progreso and ocho rios. the ship experience was terrific, and seeing the mayan ruins at chichen itza is a once in a lifetime event. climbing dunn's river falls in jamaica was also an adventure. sitting on a beach drinking an umbrella-decorated cocktail might be nice for many people, however all it is really is the jersey shore with palm trees and blue water. give me adventure, new people, great sights, and things that i cannot do when i am at home and.....well that is what travelling is all about. for us.

since that first cruise we have taken 2 more, and have booked 2 additional ones through may of 2009. and we did finally get to see grand cayman and cozumel.....we are going to key west in october this year also.

jeff from pennsylvania!! :D

Wow, good grief. I never meant to cause so much stir!

I certainly do have sympathy for all those who lost everything, and I understand completely my vacation is top tier compared to what the people who were effected are dealing with. I am not ungreatful.... I am however poor. I've been planning this trip for over a year now.. and used the word "ruined" in a light sarcastic sense. For someone who can't vacation, and honestly wishes for the moneyback.... a last minute stick in the wheel like this is pretty discouraging.

sorry for all the grief i've caused.

Sweetheart, don't let it get you down. There are other ports, another day and lots of food. Plus there are always people that will take things out of context. Life is good if we let it be. Go with an open mind and roll with the punches.

We have had 6 cruises, 2 that dropped ports and one that changed ports during the cruise and even went to Cozumel 3 times after Wilma. We have always had a ball.

Mandyloo,

Dont be to depressed. We took this trip a while back and had a good time. We were all in our 20's and although we arent big party folks we like to drink a few while on vacation. Take the bus into Progresso and after you shop around at the flea market for a while walk around to the beach. The beach isnt as nice as Jamaica where we just returned from a month ago but we had a blast anyway. The beach in Progresso is actually more pieces of sea shell than sand but it was really cool. You can get a table and chairs or a hammock under the little shades or palm trees and they will serve you drinks as long as you want to buy them or you can do the Corona beach party. Dont go home without doing a little shopping though cause there is some really cheap stuff there. The hand made hammock chairs are to die for. My wife and I fought over ours all last summer. When we go back we will get 2. Go with an open mind and get off of the beaten path and you can not go wrong. Truthfully we had more fun in Progresso than we did in Cozumel.

Mandyloo,

Truthfully we had more fun in Progresso than we did in Cozumel.

I won't go as far as to say that I had MORE fun in Progreso, but I've had a very good time in 3 visits. Coz and Progreso are two completely different ports. Coz is tourist centered with everyone and everything geared towards tourist. Progreso is more laid back and down to earth. Great people and a relaxing atmosphere make it a neat place to visit.

Don't get me wrong. I love both ports, but they are as different as night and day.

... and I intend to have the time of my life. Even if it's just on a ship in the middle of the ocean!

A big "amen", "word", or whatever! I can only recall one port right offhand that I enjoyed more than my sea days on the Holiday. For some reason, there always seems to be open deck space and empty chairs on Holiday even when she's fully booked.

• 2 weeks later...

HD didn't ruin your vacation and mine CCL did! They could have substituted ANY port other than Progesso. And I'm sorry but Progresso is NOT the Caribbean it is a stinkin fuel depot on the Gulf of Mexico.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Mandyloo,

Dont be to depressed. We took this trip a while back and had a good time. We were all in our 20's and although we arent big party folks we like to drink a few while on vacation. Take the bus into Progresso and after you shop around at the flea market for a while walk around to the beach. The beach isnt as nice as Jamaica where we just returned from a month ago but we had a blast anyway. The beach in Progresso is actually more pieces of sea shell than sand but it was really cool. You can get a table and chairs or a hammock under the little shades or palm trees and they will serve you drinks as long as you want to buy them or you can do the Corona beach party. Dont go home without doing a little shopping though cause there is some really cheap stuff there. The hand made hammock chairs are to die for. My wife and I fought over ours all last summer. When we go back we will get 2. Go with an open mind and get off of the beaten path and you can not go wrong. Truthfully we had more fun in Progresso than we did in Cozumel.

Would you please post where you bought the hammock chairs in Progresso? We have bought some very nice hammocks at Majahaul in Costa Maya and would love to buy some of the chairs in Progresso.

:D

We have been to Progresso several times and loved it! It has a nice beach, the ladies with the Cream umbrellas give a wonderful cheap message, and everything there is lower priced than Costa Maya or Cozumel. The people are very laid back & don’t beg you for a dollar each time you look at them like Belize people do. :eek: Go and have a great time!

We have been to Progresso several times and loved it! It has a nice beach, the ladies with the Cream umbrellas give a wonderful cheap message, and everything there is lower priced than Costa Maya or Cozumel. The people are very laid back & don’t beg you for a dollar each time you look at them like Belize people do. (&Yes I know they are a poor people yall!) Go and have a great time!

Sounds like all you really need is a bottle of Jack, a 12-pack of Pabst and a sun lamp...doesn't matter where you are.

We have been to Progresso several times and loved it! It has a nice beach, the ladies with the Cream umbrellas give a wonderful cheap message, and everything there is lower priced than Costa Maya or Cozumel. The people are very laid back & don’t beg you for a dollar each time you look at them like Belize people do. (&Yes I know they are a poor people yall!) Go and have a great time!
Is it just me, or do the beggars in whatever port remind you of seagulls? And not in the nice way? I can usually say "No, gracias", then that one disappears followed by thirteen more!

We did actually give some money to a local lady in Coz last cruise, but she didn't ask for it, was sitting on a street corner looking dejected and frail, and was elderly. She immediately disappeared into a nearby taqueria and came out a few minutes later with a plate of food, eating like it was her first meal in a week! (It very well could have been!) She looked up long enough to see us and wave, and said Gracias! We felt pretty good about that one.

Point is, I like Cozumel, and know that the majority of their income is from tourism. I know that if you don't ask, you don't get, but lay off the pushy begging! If I say No, I MEAN NO.

Archived