? re: points on RCCL Visa

I have a few questions regarding the RCCL visa that is offering 15,000 points for signing up and making a purchase. Does anyone know, it is worth $150.00 on board credit? Then what happens, we are cruising July 2008, do you get a voucher in the mail and do you have to turn it into your travel agent (not to happy with our agent, so I would rather avoid that if possible). Or do you redeem it through RCCL C&A society? Anyone who has used this and has any info, let me know. Thanks for all your help!!! :confused:

We've had the card for several years. Once your points are posted (it shows your point balance on your monthly statement) you phone the Bank and tell them how many points you want to redeem. They send you certificates in the mail (we always get the 5,000 point certs in multiples and use them for $50 each OBC). You send the originals to C&A...there's an address on the back of them. You can also phone C&A once you get the certs and give them the numbers if your cruise is soon, and then put the originals in the mail. The certs are valid for six months. We use the card for nearly everything, and ALWAYS pay off our cruises and onboard account with it as they are double points. Be sure that your TA uses the card itself for payment (as opposed to putting it in their bank first and issuing RCCL their check) to get the double points. I book directly with RCCL. We've really gotten a LOT of OBC this way, IMO it's well worth having if you cruise often!! Good luck, hope this helps...

e:D :D

Yes, the 15,000 is worth $150 OBC. It will show at the close of your billing cycle. You can phone C/S # on the back of the card & hear your current balance & current point count. When it states 15,000 then get a phone rep on the phone to get a certificate mailed to you. When the cert arrives, copy it, mark the back for $150 OBC double occupancy. Then call RCCL Coupon Dept at 888-305-4626 and give them the cert # & your booking # for the cruise it it to go on. Then mail the original into the Wichita KS address on the back.

After boarding the ship, your account is on the TV in the MENU area & ACCOUNT. It take about 3 days for it to show up. Any problems, you have proof for the Purser with the copy mailed in & phoned into the Coupon Dept.

I just cashed in 15,000 for our 9/14 cruise, added to stockholder credit & onboard booking credit we are at $600. So nice to be paid to cruise....

Hi Lisas414,

I can answer some of your questions since I have an RCCL Visa and have redeemed points. I believe I only received a 5,000 point bonus when signing up, so 15,000 is great! It depends on how you want to redeem your points according to what they offer at that point level. Here is what is available for you to do with your 15,000 points if you sign up.

1. You can receive mulitple on board credit coupons in increments of $50 (redeeming 5,000 points for each $50 from your point balance) for how many you would like to redeem up to $150.00 (15,000 points). If you want to use up all of your points, then you would order three $50 coupons, or if you only want $100, then order just two and leave the balance of 5,000 points on your Visa account for another cruise!

You call 1-800-421-2110 (you can also find this phone number on the RCCL website under deals&gifts/RCCL Visa /click on Royal Points under the display Credit Card on the screen, and scroll down to "Redemption of Royal points" just in case you don't trust this phone number I gave you.) and tell them you want to redeem some of your points from your Visa card for some onboard credits. They will connect you to the appropriate person that does redemptions for the Visa card. Tell them how many $50 onboard coupons you want, then they deduct that point amount from your point balance. They mail the coupons to you and you should recieve them in 2-3 weeks. They have an expiration date of 180 days, so as long as you apply them to your scheduled cruise you will be fine, and they won't accept coupons within five days of the cruise departure.

Once you receive the coupons in the mail, fill out the back of them (they ask for your cruise information, date, ship etc) and it gives you an address to mail the coupons to on the bottom of the coupon. It's strange because they have you mail them to Wichita, Kansas, not Miami. Once they receive the coupons, they apply them to your future cruise onboard credit and your ready to go! Your travel agent is never envolved with the onboard credit process.

2. The only time a travel agent gets envolved is when you want a cabin upgrade or $$ discount off a ship itinerary, then I believe you have to give the discount coupon (different than the onboard credit coupon) to the travel agent before paying the final balance due. I have never done that since I prefer the onboard credits instead as the money works out the same way anyway.

3. If you want other items like the Royal Packet, Royal Wear etc, you just call the same phone number and order them.

Also just in case your not aware of this, when you use your RCCL Visa when booking a cruise or any other RCCL cruise related expenses either on the cruise or before you go, (excursions, bar etc) you earn double the points on your Visa account. A $2,000 cruise booking turns out to be 4,000 points added to your account.

Hope this helps and enjoy your free money!

I just cashed in 50,000 points for $500. off my Mariner cruise on 9/2/07. I did this AFTER I had made final payment. I received a $500. credit on my credit card that I had used for final payment, which was the RCCL Visa card. So, you can apply $$$ off a cruise after final payment.

i've redeemed for the "free" (not really) 7 night caribbean cruise for 2 -- got $1,948 credit toward the JS, which is what the lowest oceanview is going for--on one cruise, and go the free companion fare on a 3 nighter to the bahamas (this was free--i booked the lowest category OV since on sovereign that is a much higher deck than the "higher" categories that are 4-6 decks below. these went through my TA.

TA handles my platinum balcony credit when appropriate, and there is usually on OBC from booking on board on the last cruise, but i have to contact shareholder services myself for the shareholder benefit credit.

so if i understand this thread, if I have booked through a TA, and am redeeming points for an OBC, I can do that myself through C & A after calling to get the certificate, but if i was looking to get a discount on the fare that would need to go through TA. thanks, all.

debbie- i tried to do the 500 off cruise last oct and my ta would not accept it- she said she would apply 500 obc but not 500 off the cruise price because that lowered her commission...... so make sure the ta you book with will apply the points cert. the way you want to use it before booking with them....

We have 2 cruises booked for 2008. Can you switch the credit card downpayments from the original to the new RCCl card? [Actually I don't think we can because I just sent for my rebate $$ from D.C. This was before we decided to get 2 separate cards to get the extra $150 OBC. Duhhh! :( ]

Also am I understanding this right...It was said it takes 2-3 wks to get the coupons but you can call C&A [is that RCCL C&A or the Visa card BOA C/S?] & get the OBC for a cruise in 4 wks while it's still being processed in Kansas?

TIA. I know it will be simple once we get going w/it! That's if I can ever figure out the system of which is better, OBC or "free cruises" or discounts. Will be sailing w/Piercetc4 twice in the next 6 wks. so I'll have to get inside her head to clearify some of that figuring out stuff!

We have 2 cruises booked for 2008. Can you switch the credit card downpayments from the original to the new RCCl card? [Actually I don't think we can because I just sent for my rebate $$ from D.C. This was before we decided to get 2 separate cards to get the extra $150 OBC. Duhhh! :( ] I doubt that RCCL would do it...unless it were the same day...too much bookkeeping!

Also am I understanding this right...It was said it takes 2-3 wks to get the coupons but you can call C&A [is that RCCL C&A or the Visa card BOA C/S?] & get the OBC for a cruise in 4 wks while it's still being processed in Kansas? The Bank always says it takes 2-3 weeks, but they usually arrive in just a few days. Once you have the coupons in hand you can phone C&A at RCCL and give them the numbers on the coupons (or fax them)...they will attach the credit to your rez nbr, but you still have to mail them the originals.

TIA. I know it will be simple once we get going w/it! That's if I can ever figure out the system of which is better, OBC or "free cruises" or discounts. Will be sailing w/Piercetc4 twice in the next 6 wks. so I'll have to get inside her head to clearify some of that figuring out stuff!

We always take the OBC, simply because it feels more like 'free money'. It means most of the cruise expense is taken care of and paid off before we leave home and then the seapass bill is much lower...I guess it's an individual decision!:D

OK, lemme present this scenario and if anyone can respond I'd GREATLY appreciate it...haven't applied for the RCCL Visa yet, however I was aware of the $150 'credit' as I called RCCL but I didn't fully understand the answer the woman gave me as to how the process works, truth be told I learned more here surfing the boards...

So, IF I applied for the card tomorrow let's say and the cruise we want to take, which hasn't been booked/paid for yet, is September 23rd..HOW would

I get the $150 OBC??

1)I assume I need to use the RCCL Visa to book the cruise? If that answer is Yes, that leads me to after I apply online IS it feasible to obtain the credit card number,etc.in a timely enough manner to book the cruise using the credit card..

2)Will I receive the certificates in time to be able to obtain the $150 OBC, hearing 2-3 weeks but someone else said it's really days not weeks...

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really like to get some OBC if it's at all possible...

Thanks all, Rich

OK, lemme present this scenario and if anyone can respond I'd GREATLY appreciate it...haven't applied for the RCCL Visa yet, however I was aware of the $150 'credit' as I called RCCL but I didn't fully understand the answer the woman gave me as to how the process works, truth be told I learned more here surfing the boards...

So, IF I applied for the card tomorrow let's say and the cruise we want to take, which hasn't been booked/paid for yet, is September 23rd..HOW would

I get the $150 OBC??

1)I assume I need to use the RCCL Visa to book the cruise? If that answer is Yes, that leads me to after I apply online IS it feasible to obtain the credit card number,etc.in a timely enough manner to book the cruise using the credit card..

2)Will I receive the certificates in time to be able to obtain the $150 OBC, hearing 2-3 weeks but someone else said it's really days not weeks...

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really like to get some OBC if it's at all possible...

Thanks all, Rich

You don't HAVE to book the cruise with the card, but if you DO, you get double points (= more OBC)...

We didn't do it personally, but several months ago there were some threads about immediately being given the CC number and being able to book with it (it was MBNA then, however, and it's now BofA, so not sure how they work).

We've always gotten the certificates within a week...would hope that we're not the exception. Good luck, we think it's worth it!!

:D :D ;)

Hi Lisas414,

I can answer some of your questions since I have an RCCL Visa and have redeemed points. I believe I only received a 5,000 point bonus when signing up, so 15,000 is great! It depends on how you want to redeem your points according to what they offer at that point level. Here is what is available for you to do with your 15,000 points if you sign up.

1. You can receive mulitple on board credit coupons in increments of $50 (redeeming 5,000 points for each $50 from your point balance) for how many you would like to redeem up to $150.00 (15,000 points). If you want to use up all of your points, then you would order three $50 coupons, or if you only want $100, then order just two and leave the balance of 5,000 points on your Visa account for another cruise!

You call 1-800-421-2110 (you can also find this phone number on the RCCL website under deals&gifts/RCCL Visa /click on Royal Points under the display Credit Card on the screen, and scroll down to "Redemption of Royal points" just in case you don't trust this phone number I gave you.) and tell them you want to redeem some of your points from your Visa card for some onboard credits. They will connect you to the appropriate person that does redemptions for the Visa card. Tell them how many $50 onboard coupons you want, then they deduct that point amount from your point balance. They mail the coupons to you and you should recieve them in 2-3 weeks. They have an expiration date of 180 days, so as long as you apply them to your scheduled cruise you will be fine, and they won't accept coupons within five days of the cruise departure.

Once you receive the coupons in the mail, fill out the back of them (they ask for your cruise information, date, ship etc) and it gives you an address to mail the coupons to on the bottom of the coupon. It's strange because they have you mail them to Wichita, Kansas, not Miami. Once they receive the coupons, they apply them to your future cruise onboard credit and your ready to go! Your travel agent is never envolved with the onboard credit process.

2. The only time a travel agent gets envolved is when you want a cabin upgrade or $$ discount off a ship itinerary, then I believe you have to give the discount coupon (different than the onboard credit coupon) to the travel agent before paying the final balance due. I have never done that since I prefer the onboard credits instead as the money works out the same way anyway.

3. If you want other items like the Royal Packet, Royal Wear etc, you just call the same phone number and order them.

Also just in case your not aware of this, when you use your RCCL Visa when booking a cruise or any other RCCL cruise related expenses either on the cruise or before you go, (excursions, bar etc) you earn double the points on your Visa account. A $2,000 cruise booking turns out to be 4,000 points added to your account.

Hope this helps and enjoy your free money!

I am not finding anything to click on under the credit card- am I missing something. I just spent twenty minutes online chat with BofA trying to find out who to call- they told me 1-800-421-2110,which I had already called,and the menu you get at that # tells you your balance,but no option to redeem- so OK, I called again, I pressed '0' and got an agent and she didn't know how it was done- told me to access the Deals and More section (link she gave no longer works) and then told me to call 1-800-421-2110- BUT... I said,that is what i dialled to get you!

Runaround..... is there an easy way?

I pressed '0' and got an agent and she didn't know how it was done
Do this again, as this is how it is done. Be insistent if the agent doesn't act like they know what you're talking about. They can be a little slow, sometimes, if you know what I mean. If they haven't figured it out by then, ask for a supervisor.

I get the $150 OBC??

Thanks all, Rich

Do you mean Sept 23 as in next month??? That is really cutting it close to get the card, have the bonus points credited, get the certificate & mail it in to redeem the points........I think it took about a month to get the card when I applied and then another month to see the bonus points........

So, IF I applied for the card tomorrow let's say and the cruise we want to take, which hasn't been booked/paid for yet, is September 23rd..HOW would I get the $150 OBC??
You can't. Points are credited on the monthly statement, so I seriously doubt you could get the card and receive a statement soon enough to redeem the points for OBC 5 business days before sailing.

piercetc4-I cashed in the points for the $500. credit towards a cruise, and I asked the C&A dept. if it would lower my TA commission, and they told me no, it wouldn't. I didn't have any trouble w/my TA on this. Not sure if her commission was reduced. I will question her about it later after we return from the cruise. We do all our bookings w/her, and we go 2 or 3 times a year. And we usually have others cruise w/us, so she gets their bookings also. Even if the commission is reduced some on one of our cruises, she more than makes up for it with our repeat cruising, and others. I work on commission only, so I know exactly how it is to have to take a cut in commission.

Do you mean Sept 23 as in next month??? That is really cutting it close to get the card, have the bonus points credited, get the certificate & mail it in to redeem the points........I think it took about a month to get the card when I applied and then another month to see the bonus points........

Yes, I mean Sept. 23th as in 3 weeks...oh well que sera sera if I can't turn it around fast enough to get the $150 OBC...we just booked yesterday with a online TA, labor day special rate saved us $100 off the initial cruise quote and she said she'd give us $50 OBC so that's $150 in effect, leads into another question, searched all over the board and I just can't find the answer, WHERE does one actually SEE the $50 OBC on their acccount, I got my E docs and I registered online just now with our cruise info, I see our reservations, etc..but not the $50 OBC..can anyone help me out?

Happy Day Labor Day weekend all, Going to see Jimmy Buffett tomorrow at Gillette stadium and cruising in 3 weeks, woo hoo!!!

You can't. Points are credited on the monthly statement, so I seriously doubt you could get the card and receive a statement soon enough to redeem the points for OBC 5 business days before sailing.

Jwlane, from what I have read in other posts, one need not WAIT for their monthly statement, after you receive the card you make a purchase and I'd presume check your statement online and/or call to see if the pts. posted to the account THEN call BOA and ask for the certificate...

We're in the info technology age, this stuff should NOT take months to get done, come on now people, :eek:

If you just applied for the card, they take 2-3 weeks til you get it. Then make the charge or charges, and on your billing date they charge you & post the posts. When you hear your points when you call in for balance info as it is one of the last items they tell you. Then you call back to cash in the points for the OBC or whatever you want. That can take 2 weeks to receive the certificate which you mark what you want on it & fill in info on it, make a copy for your records & mail into Wichita KS address on it. That's another week. So possibly end of October would be better.

Jwlane, from what I have read in other posts, one need not WAIT for their monthly statement, after you receive the card you make a purchase and I'd presume check your statement online and/or call to see if the pts. posted to the account THEN call BOA and ask for the certificate...

We're in the info technology age, this stuff should NOT take months to get done, come on now people, :eek:

The points are not applied to the account until the closing of the billing cycle. It is not applied immediately after purchase. This is the way every rewards credit card I have ever had does it.

There is no way you would have time to apply for the card, receive it, use it for the bonus points, get to the end of the billing cycle and redeem the points in 23 days. It is not possible. Sorry. That's just the way it is. (Even in this "info technology age.")

check your statement online and/or call to see if the pts. posted to the account
An "online statement" exists only when a cycle has been gone thru and that statement is "mailed" so to speak (snail mail or electronic notification), i.e. a balance is due. Points accrue as purchases are made, but they are credited only when a statement has been "printed". Points are only visible online on an issued e-statement.

That can take 2 weeks to receive the certificate which you mark what you want on it & fill in info on it, make a copy for your records & mail into Wichita KS address on it. That's another week
This part is not required to get OBC. When the call is made to redeem points, insist that the rep give you the certificate number(s). Then, call Crown & Anchor and give them those numbers and tell 'em you'd like them applied for OBC. This is normally only for departures within 30 days. I called BoA on Aug. 4 (the day my statement arrived showing an adequate balance), got the certificate number, then immediately called C&A and had them apply same to our cruise departing the 12th (5 business days required before the cruise). The credit was there when we checked onboard, and the certificate (which arrived sometime while we were away) was mailed to C&A after we returned (probably only a formality).

If you just applied for the card, they take 2-3 weeks til you get it. Then make the charge or charges, and on your billing date they charge you & post the posts. When you hear your points when you call in for balance info as it is one of the last items they tell you. Then you call back to cash in the points for the OBC or whatever you want. That can take 2 weeks to receive the certificate which you mark what you want on it & fill in info on it, make a copy for your records & mail into Wichita KS address on it. That's another week. So possibly end of October would be better.

Well I have read some people have been getting their cards in a week or less..so we shall see...at any rate it'd be a BONUS to get the $150 OBC as I scored a lower rate due to labor day specials.

Archived