Lost Luggage Warning

MacBaby

I just wanted to warn every one about a potential problem with your luggage.

On our return trip (after two glorious weeks aboard the Sun Princess) one piece of our luggage was lost/misplaced by Princess. After several hours of calls and searches (we were at the Seattle airport when this was discovered), it was determined our luggage most likely was put into the wrong color group and picked up by another person (there was an similar bag left at the port). According to the Princess rep with us, in order to get our luggage back it was up to the person who took my bag to ship it to me at their cost! In order for this person to get their own luggage, Princess would need confirmation from me that I have received my luggage and then Princess would ship the luggage out C.O.D!

So, as a warning, make sure you have your own luggage when you leave!

(By the way, my bag turned up on another bus in Seattle, so there is a happy ending in this tale!)

Another reason we do express debarkation, only we handle our bags.

So please tell me about express debarkation. How do you initiate that? Is there an associated express embarkation?

My husband and I do carry-on only everywhere we travel. We have an agreement with the airlines -- we don't give them our bags and they don't lose/delay them. But when we tried to board the Sun and Dawn in Vancouver, the handlers at the check-in curbside insisted we must hand over our 22" bags. We did get them later at our room. The first time we had to re-organize because some "valuable" stuff was in the bag so I had to remove to my handbag. Now I expect to have the bags checked for the cruise even though I try to carry them on.

Ok Steve, thought we'd done it all, guess I was wrong. What the heck is 'express debarkation'? Since I've started decorating :eek: our bags so that no one else would mistake them for their own they normally end up being placed together, are a cinch to locate and we get out of the luggage maze without delay. :D But, if there is a another trick I'd love to know about it.

You said: "Another reason we do express debarkation, only we handle our bags."

What is express debarkation? And I assume you mean that you and you alone take your bags off the ship. Right?

Is there apt to be a problem with this? Any crew try to stop you?

How about when you get aboard at beginning of cruise? Do you lose control of your bags then? Or can you keep them yourself?

Wanted to make sure I understood correctly as that sounds like the best policy to me if we are able to handle it ourselves. And only way to make sure you have your bags..........not someone else.

Thanks.

Tippy..........wink.gif

On our return trip (after two glorious weeks aboard the Sun Princess) one piece of our luggage was lost/misplaced by Princess. After several hours of calls and searches (we were at the Seattle airport when this was discovered), it was determined our luggage most likely was put into the wrong color group and picked up by another person (there was an similar bag left at the port). According to the Princess rep with us, in order to get our luggage back it was up to the person who took my bag to ship it to me at their cost! In order for this person to get their own luggage, Princess would need confirmation from me that I have received my luggage and then Princess would ship the luggage out C.O.D!

(By the way, my bag turned up on another bus in Seattle, so there is a happy ending in this tale!)

This happened to one of my sister's co-workers, but it was with another cruiseline. So, I'm guessing this is standard practice.

What might be good is to have little beepers inside your luggage, sort of like what you press when trying to find our car. Wouldn't that be convenient! :)

my dh and i only travel with carry on. we even go to europe for 3 weeks with one carry on each. one of the best tips i learned on this board was express debarkation, wish i had known it earlier this year when we sailed on the diamond. they took your carry on bags on the sun???? no one tried to take our bags on the diamond, i sure as heck would be a little upset if they tried to take our carry on bags

gerry

MichTraveler,

I boarded with my bags... those porters tried to take the big one (26" on wheels) but I just plain said no thanks...we're taking them ourselves! and walked away.

We travel with one 26" and two carryons and have managed very well since they're all on wheels. After hearing about things being stolen from bags left out the night before, as well as bags being lost, we'll probably try to walk off our own bags the next morning too. I know that some people get annoyed by this if the person trying to debark can't manage their own bags and holds up the line of people trying to get off. I think that is a valid point and I wouldn't consider it if we had trouble moving along at the same pace as the other passengers. I think it helps too if you have an early flight and are getting off with red tags because of it...fewer passengers moving at that time.

Wow! I am really hard up if this discussion is getting me impatient to be cruising again!!

Enymarsh,

That is exactly what we plan to do, one 26" and one 22" - that would be all we need. Hubby is trying to get away without suits (and the shoes that go with it), so carry-on would do. I try to persuade him to still dress up for formal nights. :D So you carry your bags onboard yourself without any problem as I understand it ?

On our last cruise with Carnival, we sailed out of our home port Ft. Lauderdale. So we were all carry-ons and he carried his tux in a plastic bag (those you use in the closet to protect your clothes, not a real garment bag). However, this time we cruise Mexican Riviera that means we have to fly to LA. I am still torn between bring a 26" or 2 22"s. We are like MichTraveler, hardly checked any luggages. We, too, managed to get around europe in 3 weeks with only carry-on. We did that with Australia, NZ, another 3 weeks last year with the same carry-ons.

With our upcoming 10-day trip to Chicago and Toronto, hubby only intends to bring a backpack ! Granted, when in Toronto, we stay with families, thus have laundry facilities. But we still stay in Chicago for 4 days, 2 before and 2 after Toronto.

This happend to my son and daughter-in-law coming back from their honeymoon on another cruise line. The gentleman who took their bag by mistake, contacted them and sent it to them directly.

Archived