Packing HELP!!!

boneslides

Thanks to all of the very helpful CC'ers, I have finally figured out WHAT to pack for our upcoming cruise to Alaska (our first cruise!!). Now, HOW IN THE HECK DO I GET IT ALL IN THE SUITCASES?!!??

C'mon, you seasoned cruiser's must have some words of wisdom for this newbie!!! How do I efficiently pack the luggage to maximize what I can fit into the suitcase without introducing massive amounts of wrinkles?:eek:

Once again, thanks for all of your invaluable help! I am currently vacillating between extreme excitement and great trepidation! :o

I place my clothes in clear plastic bags, like the kind you get sheet sets in.....................which are ususally zippered................alot less wrinkling, and when you bag gets inspected, they can easily pick up a bag.....swimsuits here, lingerie here, shirts here.............etc

I use sheets of plain, white tissue paper. Just place it on the foldables before folding - they survive with nary a wrinkle nor a crease. Karson's clear plastic bags are perfect as well. I use them on all hangables. Underwear goes in gallon size ziplock bags, compress to remove the air and zip shut - you'll be amazed at how little space that takes.

That sounds bad - my underwear isn't THAT big. I can pack it all in one bag! :o)

Thanks to all of the very helpful CC'ers, I have finally figured out WHAT to pack for our upcoming cruise to Alaska (our first cruise!!). Now, HOW IN THE HECK DO I GET IT ALL IN THE SUITCASES?!!??

Suitcase-s?? Make that singular. Perhaps because I've travelled where I move around a lot I've learned that half the fun is in NOT lugging more than one bag. The bag I take on a 10 day cruise will fit in the overhead compartment of a plane, except for my computer which fits in a large handbag. Items that take up space are bathrobes--most lines supply them. You can cut down on shoes, heavy sweaters, rain gear, evening wraps. all those toiletries. I don't know how many times I've heard cruisers say, "I didn't wear half of what I brought."

I carry one lightweight sweater and evening shawl, no bathrobe, one light night wear, (there's not much humidity in the cabins and things dry quickly) the thinnest plastic raingear which I rarely use, 5 or 6 white cotton pants, a summery dress and lots of tops, (I roll items tight to pack--most wrinkles hang out) evening wear that isn't bulky, whatever else I can squeeze into the bag, including small camera and essentials. Surprisingly, I'm complimented on an outfit I'm wearing now and then--even when it's 20 years old! People aren't as interested in what you wear, as how you smile or go out of your way to be friendly, but if you're happier with a full closet, take all the bags you want. You won't be the only one.

HAVE A WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL CRUISE.

<<MMC

I agree with MYMOTHERSCHILD

we have been on 10day and 30 day cruises and we really almost always take same amount for both. When we were on our 2-5th cruises, we kept a list of what we wore and what we didnt .. then we put in Excel spreadsheet (yes, I am a nerd), and have been refining since then. We have separate section for cold weather wear versus warm and we have been surprised that we really take about 1/2 as much as we use to take in the early days. We just plan to wash underwear, etc ... while on cruise.

Additionally, we were motivated to do this because on an early cruise, we had to open our suitcases at airport checkin to pull out heavy stuff, and put in an extra duffle we had as the scales tilted when we put our suitcases on them. Fortunately, we were able to spread the weight out then.

Which leads to last point .. we always pack a collapsed duffle bag that we stuff we dirty clothes and heavy stuff so we can carefully pack our purchased gifts in the suitcases.

harry

You can carry a coat on the airlines (even if it is august). Ship does a great job on laundry. Cabin will have shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower gel and soap; you can leave all that at home. You can carry " purse "plus carryon. I use a zippered tote as a purse and it holds a good handbag, which holds jewelry;, sunglasses; makeup; quart baggie; hal wallet; comb, brush, etc.; book; notebook, wallet.tiny umbrella..phone. charger .camera ipod....DH has a briefcase in addition to his carryon for all the electronic gear and trip paperwork! GmaPajama is right-use big ziplock bags so TSA isn't handling all your clean clothes when they go thru your bags. Carryons hold a good deal in terms of basic wardrobe. We do big cases half and half--half his stuff and half my stuff......If in doubt, leave his stuff out!......anyhow i am just about finished and that is my advice. Have a good trip....saw you on the rollcall.

Archived