Just got back rom Cruise - WOW

cruisergrandma

We just returned home from our Alaskan cruise (Carnival Spirit) and all I can say is WOW. Perfect weather (70 in Juneau) and sights are incredible. Went whale watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau. He is quite a character. Saw humpback whales, sea lions and eagles. Be prepared for the wind in Skagway and Ketchikan. It was warm but, the wind was very strong. Saw killer whales from the ship while going through inside passage. Take lots of film for your camera. I used 18 rolls.

Glad to hear you had a great trip. We are booked in a few weeks and are anxious for information. What is a not miss meal...do they serve crab legs? What was your favorite dessert? Did you do any shopping.. your favorite purchase? Did you take the white pass railroad?

Any info would be great!

Sensation 10/98
Inspiration 5/02
Conquest 5/03

UNTIL THE SPIRIT TO ALASKA
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;6;23;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

How was the weather? We're going on the Vision of the Seas on June 4. I was told it was going to be cold and to pack winter clothes. It's 80-90 degrees in South Alabama now. What would you advise to pack? We're stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Icy STrait Point, Keitchikan and Vancouver.

Just got back from a 7 night up/back out of Vancouver on the Radiance of the Seas. Posted daily stuff as we went. Different line and ship, but some of the info could still be useful I'll try to answer any questions. Here's the thread.

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=720101491&p=1"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=720101491&p=1[/url]

Jewel of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;4;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Hi ukcruisefan
Didn't notice crab legs on the menu, sorry. My favorite dessert on Carnival is always the Grand Mariner Souffle. Shopping was great. They hand out a coupon book at the dock (Canada Place) in Vancouver. We used lots of the coupons and got some great deals. Jewelry is VERY expensive - much better deals in the caribbean. My favorite purchase was from Galligans in Juneau and was a locally made glass northern lights candle. They shipped it home for me. We did not go on the White Horse pass railroad. Instead we went about the same route by bus then panned for gold. The bus is much cheaper (total tour was 35 per person) and we saw most of the same scenery as the train. And, on the bus we got to stop for photos. Some in our group even got out and played in the snow at the summit. The Spirit is a beautiful ship and I know you will love your cruise.

Hi auburngirl
We had great weather. They were having a heat wave. It reached 70 the day we were in Juneau. The lowest we had in port was 54. We took big coats but, never unpacked them. We also had sunny weathr but, they said it usually rains in Ketchikan. We just took small umbrellas and rain ponchos. It was cold on the boat when we went whale watching and it was cold in Glacier Bay.

Cruisergrandma,

What did you think of the Spirit? We're sailing her 1 Sept. How were the shows? Any issues or raves about the ship?

Also, did you do a land tour?? We've got one planned, and haven't found someone who's done it with Carnival yet.

DMS
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;9;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
Carnival Spirit 9/1/04

Hi auburngirl

I will be traveling Northbound on Vision August 6, 2004. I am also from Alabama, and a 1986 Auburn Grad. I would love a review of your trip when you get back.

Cruisergrandma- Were you Northbound on Spirit or was it a roundtrip from VAncouver? If Northbound, what were your experiences getting off at Whittier? What time did they dock? We are Northbound on Spirit in August taking a shuttle from Whittier to Seward. Currently we are scheduled to leave Whittier at 8:45 am. Does that sound like a makable plan to you?

[url="http://www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif"]www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif[/url]
Cunard Princess 9/83
Big Red Boat 10/95
Conquest 3/03
Spirit 8/04

Hi shookdm,

We love the Spirit. This is our 2nd trip on this ship. The other was in the Caribbean 2 years ago. The shows are great but, were the same ones we had seen 2 years ago. You will enjoy them. Have you been on this larger style ship? It is a totally different layout from the smaller ships. Rooms seem a bit bigger (you can walk around the bed, it's not in the corner) and bathrooms are larger and nicer. Lido deck has several different meal choices. We liked that. People were great.
We did not book any tours from the ship. We booked all of ours directly with the tour provider. Saved some money that way. What tour are you thinking about?

I noticed you took the bus instead of the train up the mountain. We are thinking about that since someone mentioned there are some diesel fumes on the train. For someone that gets sick very quickly from those fumes, this is a concern.

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

Cruisergrandma,

Last Carnival Ship I was on was the Triumph, which I liked. We've got an aft balcony cabin on the Spirit, which is supposed to be an extended balcony, so I'm hoping it's nice.

Thinking of booking Capt Larry, since everyone on the boards seems to have good things to say about his whale watching tours. Would like to do the dog sledding, but they won't take advanced reservations for that since we're so late in the season. For Skagway, was considering the Best of Skagway thru the ship, since it seemed to hit the highlights. Haven't really pinned BJ down on what he wants to do yet - he just wants to see glaciers. I'm thinking of telling him to do the extended glacier trek so he gets maximum time on the ice. I'm assuming on your trip you didn't get to Sitka??

Finally, since I love to shop, did you find any really great stores in any of the ports that offer unique gifts?

What age group were the passengers on your trip? We're not ancient, but not fresh out of school either.

DMS
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;9;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
Carnival Spirit 9/1/04

Hey auburngirl,

I am also on the Vision June 4th. This is my 4th Alaska trip and I am hoping for good weather. I chose this one because it is a special RCI Crown and Anchor Member Cruise.

I have signed up for the White Pass Railway in Skagway and for the Nature Tram and Salmon Bake in Icy Straits. Still deciding on the rest.

hope to see you aboard!

CG

RCI(38),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

Hi shookdm,

I think you will really enjoy Capt. Larry. We thought it was fantastic. Our age group (4 couples) was from 36 to 54. We all loved the whale watching in Juneau and the White Horse Pass/Gold Panning bus tour in Skagway. In Ketchikan my husband and I just walked around and enjoyed town. Two couples took the duck tour and loved it too.
Be sure to get a coupon book at the port in Vancouver. There are some good deals. We found a lot of the merchandise overpriced - we are used to shopping the caribbean and it's much cheaper. We purchased quite a few Russian made items. Alaska was once Russian so, I feel it is from the area. Shop around - prices vary. We found several good shops on Creek Street in Ketchikan that sold locally made items. We purchased a small hand carved humpback whale for $24.00. Creek Street is not right off the dock. You have to walk a couple of blocks but, it is well worth the trip. Not so many shoppers and great shop owners and merchandise.

caviargal

I didn't know this was a special crown and anchor cruise. My mother (who is 73)is a member and no one mentioned it to her. She cruises about twice a year on different ships. Our group includes a 73 year old lady, a 5 year old girl and us (married 40 yr). Have you been given any other advice on excursions? We are going on the White Pass Train in Skagway. Also, I can't get the "search" feature on cruise critic to work where I can find data on Vision for June 4. Any advice? I'm new to cruisecritic.

Hi auburngirl,

I can't believe we were at Auburn at the same time. I saw on your profile that you are a CPA, I meet my husband at Auburn and he is also a CPA, you probably had classes together. Small world!

Archived