Suggestion on short Mexico cruise in Oct?

chudev

I am a first time cruiser and some friends and I are hoping to go on a short 3 or 4 night cruise to Mexico in October. We don't really know much about cruising so I was hoping someone could give me some suggestion on when the best times and the best ships for an October mexico cruise. We are a group of friends from our late 20's to early 30's.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

The 3 night cruises leave Friday and come back Monday morning. The 4 night cruises leave Monday afternoon and come back Friday morning. Because people are less inclined to take 5 days off work, the longer 4 night cruises are actually CHEAPER than the 3 night cruises (rule of supply and demand).

I chose my sailing date on Carnival's Paradise (10/15/07) based on price. It is the week AFTER Columbus day, it is not a school holiday or anything else and there is a price dip, so for me that was the "best" choice.

Although I have not been on a 3 night cruise, I hear they have a reputation of being a bit rowdier, but then the 4 night cruises have that reputation in comparison with a 7 night cruise.

If you have the time, I would say take the 4 night, since it goest to Catalina as well as Ensenada (the 3 night only goes to Ensenada), and more time on a cruise ship is better than less.:D

We sailed the Carnival Ecstasy last June. This was our 8th cruise with Carnival and we loved it so much we booked it again for November. This ship is awesome. First, they won the coveted "Crystal Eagle" award for superior guest service and it truly shows. Captain Scala is the most personable captain we have ever had. He is very approachable. He hosts a question and answer session in one of the lounges where passengers may ask questions about the cruise. He and the crew volunteer their day off in Progreso to support an orphanage in Merida, Mexico. They spend their day in Progreso at the orphanage, donating not only needed items but teaching them how to cook, repairing the buildings, etc. They even have a website: http://www.crewcares4kids.com/

The ship stops in Progreso in Yucatan, Mexico and Cozumel before returning to Galveston. Although we normally do 7-day cruises, we loved this 5-day cruise (there are also 4 night cruises, too). I encourage you to look into this cruise. We are looking forward to our next cruise on the Ecstasy in November. Travelgirl

Check RCI Monarch as well, the price is usually lower than Carnival.

I've been on Carnival Ecstacy and you could not give me a free cruise on that ship, sorry. I've not been on Paradise and more than likely will not, I just didn't care for the Carnival product. The food was better than I expected, that is my one postive thing to say about it.

I'm surprised it is only $10 less. There have been times where it has cost us hundreds less. Of course, it is for 2 cabins, one for us, one for the kids. Two cabins on Monarch has even priced out less than one quad cabin on Carnival Paradise.

OK, I just did a price check for our 11/30 Monarch cruise. For a comparable cabin, Carnival is $188 more than RCI, if you factor in that we got a $50 discount and if you applied that same discount, it would still be $138 more. Same date, same cabin category.

Some will argue that the cabins are larger, which is very true, but I'll take the smaller cabin any day.

Archived