Space saver bags

ombavia

we used them for several trips. No matter how well we followed the directions the items were usually pretty wrinkled. Now we just take them along to use for the dirty laundry--they work great for that.

For packing, we've had much better luck with packing envelopes. The board that comes with them helps you pack shirts, shorts and pants neatly and we rarely have anything wrinkle. They also do a great job with suitcase organization.

More specifically, is there access to a vacuum on the ship (to suck the air out of the space-saver bags) for when you are packing to go home? I don't see how much good they are if you can only use them one way.

The ones I use have a one-way valve, you roll them up and the air escapes.

You may be able to borrow a vacuum from the cabin steward :confused:

I'll add, if you haven't purchased these bags yet, they are pretty expensive for the short time they survive. I think after 2-3 trips, mine all sprung leaks. I use packing folders now, they can be used hundreds of times and while they don't suck out air, they hold the clothing secure with no wrinkles and very smooth creases if you pack carefully.

I now use 2 and a half gallon Ziploc baggies for re-packing dirty underwear and wet bathing suits.

I agree with everything happy ks said. I only use the roll-up ones for travel, and they do start to spring leaks very quickly. The packing folders/envelopes work much better for us and we only use the roll-up bags that we have left for dirty laundry.

I agree with the others. I found no added value to using them. They probably added a whopping 1-2", but if I had filled up that space I also would have come dangerously close the the weight limit, which would have left no wiggle room for souvenirs.

I don't normally pack my luggage full to the gills, so I don't have a lot of wrinkling issues.

For the return trip with those space saver bags, I ended up not using them so my clothes could buffer a few bottles of adult beverages I'd purchased along the way.

after about 3 uses, whether it's the travel ones you roll up or the regular ones, they never stay all nice n flat. They always start to poof back up. :( I won't rule out that it's user error, but I dunno.

What are packing folders?

I used the roll-up kind of bags for my pillow on my last cruise. :D

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Packing_Cubes___Folders?Args=

http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessories/packing_folders_cubes/category_search/index.cfm?Ne=100&N=4001+20014520

You can also find these at luggage stores. They don't add much weight at all, I've read that comment before. I've accumulated enough over the last few years so I have a different color for everyone in the family. It's a handy way of unpacking when you get to your destination, you can even leave things in the bags until you use them if you want, just pop the folder or cube into the drawer.

Also, the space bags tend to let you overpack your luggage- thereby incurring charges at the airport for overweight luggage.

I like the packing cubes over the folders - they are great for tees, underwear, socks, etc. I use my folders mainly for pants and shorts. The great thing about the cubes is that you can just pull out the cube and stick it in a drawer - you don't have to unpack it.

Archived