Review: Crown Princess 8/19-8/28: Part I

CraigRDR1

We were on this sailing as well. Not a bad one overall.

I am most impressed with how the dining room staff took care of us given my son's food allergy. This was the most attentive one among the six cruises that he has been on with various lines. I cannot say enough good things about them and took the whole comment section of the survey to thank them besides the blue CRUISE card. For the six dining room staff we had daily contacts, I tipped 50% extra at the end, and they sure deserved those. (We had breakfast and lunch at Da Vinci and dinner at Michelangelo to reduce the allergy concern as much as we could.)

The breakfast in Da Vinci the last morning was totally opposite as they seemed to switch servers around that day and we did not get our waiter/waitress. We were the first ones seated in the section, not only I had to inquire about how long the wait for the food after observing people around us who came later getting their second or third breakfast items, I had to bring the coffee cup to waiter who was standing with arms crossed to ask if I could get my first cup of coffee after I saw everyone else around us having coffee in their cups. (Maybe I was too busy talking to my little one not noticing them pouring coffee for the people sitting at the table next to us. But still...)

Youth staff were not as engaging, to put it nicely. We were on Diamond last December and they separated the 3-7 age group into 3-5 and 6-7 groups with about the same total number of kids (in 3-7 group). This time it was 3-7 as one group and the activities were lackluster. So great bonding time with the little one -- something positive and more precious out of the lack of fun activities at the kids club. A nice surprise from a staff who now works in the older kids group came over to talk to us in the Pelican room, as she was on Diamond worked with my son last time and recognized him on this sailing.

Totally agree about young ones behave better than the teens. I cannot remember the last time or I even got waken up by kids running up and down the hallway late into the night. I think it is the combination of the number of children on board and younger ones not being able to sign-in/out the youth center themselves or left alone without supervision. Saw a lady one deck up was not happy with kids throwing candies onto her balcony with grown-ups right there beside them (we "got lucky" as well, but less "treats".)

Sushi is a "steal" and the performances in Piazza as a whole is better than the production shows. Kudos for serving cold water lobsters in the dining room.

We were stuck in traffic two blocks from the port entrance for 20-30 minutes and thus doubled our taxi fare (should have relaxed another hour at the hotel :--). But we were Navy 1 walking off the ship and got lucky there.

We somehow managed to have only two carry-ons for this trip, without bringing the blazers for the little one (and without telling him until we got onboard). But we still managed to dress appropriately (well, except the blazer part for my son on the formal nights -- guilty there). We saw plenty of jeans and shorts in the dining room, as observed by others.

Ports were nice, though we've been to most of those several times. They are a good change of pace and scenary from sea days. We managed to do something new anyway.

Last but not least, was too sheepish to attend the couple CC get-togethers at Skywalker with a young-one in-tow. Did not see many young ones in the roll-call, so I did not even sign up in the roll-call. I need to do one of those one day.

A cruise is always nice. This one was not a bad one at all.

This is why there are many cruise lines. We are all individuals with different tastes. We're not all expected to like the same things. So it's a good thing we have the freedom to pick the cruise lines that are more suited to us. I wasn't that pleased with my first Princess cruise, but, decided to give them another try. After this cruise, I have to say that I don't think Princess is right for me. It's a good thing we don't all like the same cruise line anyway, you know how crowded that would be. Yikes.

We're booked on the 6th of Sept. cruise. (and the 17 of Sept cruise.) Thanks for all your postings, they are really helpful. One question - we're signed up for anytime dining (we have a group of 8 people who will be doing different things in the ports.) So, we'll be able to choose our showtimes. Is the early or late show better for getting seats?

Other thoughts - This will be our 3rd (and 4th) Princess, but we've been on 27 other cruises. We love HAL and Celebrity - our 1st Princess Cruise on the Diamond was wonderful, but had a few problems (and one of the biggest problems was the size of the showroom--we had to stand during Piano Man) and after screaming to get late-seating traditional dining we found we had much better service in Anytime. Our last Princess one (a 20-day to Hawaii and Midway Island out of LA on the Regal) was one of our favorites. All the cruise critic members agreed it was one of the best cruises ever. BTW - I've never seen so many frequent cruisers on a ship before as that cruise--over half the ship were elite members. We did a 5-day on RCI in March out of Galveston, and over 80% had never cruised before. Decorum and dress (and age range) were very different on those 2 cruises! I also hate to say it, since I grew up in the northeast (Boston), but we've found generally some (not all!) northeasterners do do a lot more complaining on cruise ships than people from the rest of the country! Also, we did one RCI Easter week cruise out of New Orleans a couple of years ago, and swore never to do another cruise when kids are out of school. Our demographics? 50 somethings who like late seating.

The nametag is removeable, just a slip of paper on the outside mailbox, we always remove ours. Have a great first Princess Cruise:)

Thanks for mentioning that, I'm not crazy about having my name on the outside of my door but might not have thought it was OK to remove it had you had not mentioned that you had done this !

You know maybe its me...but...

There I was sitting in a lovely dining room, my beautiful wife and daughter sitting across the table... People running around trying to serve me good food and drink. We are all healthy and enjoying life. We have the unique ability to experience travel and good things. There are people on this planet that have NOTHING...not even a glass of water..and no hope...

Im the luckiest person on the planet...hands down..and If the worst that life can deal me is cold toast, a wait for a glass of water, some noisy children or adults...I'll take it!!!

Who gives anyone the right to say..or judge anyone based on whether they meet their standards on being cooth...or proper...

Everyone should step back and think about their life for a minute and see how lucky they really are...

but again maybe its just me...

Graig, I agree, but some people work for years to be able to take just one weeks vacation and might not be able to take another one for 10 yrs and are just hoping to get what they think they paid for.

I don't know, this was the first time I've had a card scanned. it was a little hand held unit that scanned the card, and showed your name, stateroom and your picture. I thought it was cool, but odd that it wasn't done in all areas of the ship. Maybe it's something new that they're testing?

In my area, nobody was asked to be quiet, but I did see crew members yelling at passengers to take off the life jackets until they were told to put them on. This wasn't because they might trip, we were already standing at our station. This was another thing that didn't necessarily bother me, just left me thinking :confused:

We were on the 10 AUG sailing. The swiping of the cards at Muster was something they were trying out. I believe the Captain during his announcement during Muster (if anyone was listening) mentioned that it was a pilot project and if they did have to do a roll call that each muster station had a roll call list for the people designated to that muster station. He also went on to say that they do not do a roll call unless it is deemed necessary depending on the emergency. If people would be quiet and listened A) it would go alot smoother and quicker and B) they would know all the questions being asked about muster on this thread. JMHO

UxbridgeCruiser- people soon forget how important these drills are. Last year on my Crown sailing it was a few months after the Star fire and soon after the Crown list. The muster drill was very quiet and many people were saying now this time I am going to listen because you never know, while waiting for the drill to start. I also was on your sailing of August 10, and it was noisy and many treated it like a nuisance. How soon we forget. I guess it is just human nature!

We were on the 10 AUG sailing. The swiping of the cards at Muster was something they were trying out. I believe the Captain during his announcement during Muster (if anyone was listening) mentioned that it was a pilot project and if they did have to do a roll call that each muster station had a roll call list for the people designated to that muster station. He also went on to say that they do not do a roll call unless it is deemed necessary depending on the emergency. If people would be quiet and listened A) it would go alot smoother and quicker and B) they would know all the questions being asked about muster on this thread. JMHO

I agree, everyone should be quiet and listen. I listened intently to every word, but the captain said nothing about this being a pilot program, no mention was made of the card scanning. I didn't bother asking anyone about it since I really didn't think it was a big deal, and that maybe it was just something new that they were trying out.

There were nights we spent 2 hrs in the dining room ,for just our main course meal(no appetizer's, soups, deserts...just the Main Course. quote]

I certainly respect your personal choice. I am assuming the 2 hours was too LONG for you?

I am one of those folks who actually enjoy a long, leisurely dinner out...2 and even 3 hours for the entire meal (especially on a cruise) is a pleasure and a treat for us. Even in the nicest restaurants in Houston I always feel like the servers are rushing my meal when I want to take my time.

We're typically late traditional diners, except for once when we had early seating. With late seating at 8:15 or 8:30 we're usually done by 10:30 anyway...

I rather go on a ship that has 2,000 passengers and 1,000 workers then going on a ship that has 3,600 passengers and 950 workers. quote]

well just to be fair it's more like 3100 to 1200...

Just to be fair, I was told that each cabin stewart had 38 rooms to cover, Don't you think thats a bit much for one person?

Reading these reviews have made me feel justifiied in my decision to cancel this cruise and cruise during the fall. I was on the Crown last year for a TA event and fell in love with this ship. I thought she was absolutely beautiful and I couldnt' wait to book a cruise on her. I am a Royal Caribbean fan and cruise on that line whenever possible, but I was really thrilled about leaving out of NY (no airfare) on this beautiful ship. Then I went on the RCCL Explorer last Nov. 3, which was the "NJ Week". Teacher's convention, election day, and many NJ schools were closed for the week, hence lots and lots of kids on my sailing. This is what I try to avoid by cruising in the fall, but that plan was foiled last year. After 9 days of unruly NJ/NY kids and their families, and I can say this because I'm a Jersey girl my entire life, I decided no way would I want to take 9 days in the SUMMER out of NY! So I cancelled my much desired Crown cruise and rebooked the Explorer for Oct. 26. Not NJ week this year, however.

A couple of my friends can't travel in Oct., so decided to stay on the Crown, but changed it to this week. The 8/28 sailing and they're currently aboard. I think even the difference of that 1 week will make a difference because the cruise returns after school starts, so probably many fewer kids than just the week before. I can't wait to hear their impressions. I'm very sorry to hear that this cruise wasn't the best for some of you and hope it's better the next time, but you've all just confirmed my fears. Good luck with your next cruises.

We were on on the 8-10 Crown out of NY. We found the crew for the most part very friendly and helpful. My husband and I are not sun and pool people(too much skin cancer on both sides. You may have noticed me at the beach, long sleeve shirt,hat, under the shade!) So we tried to stay away from the crowds on sea days. Our favorite place was the International cafe on 5. The food was very good(although pretty much the same every day) Tuna and ham and cheese ,great chicken salad and the best desserts on the ship! Try the blueberry cake. Much better food then the buffet and no fighting your way through. The entertainers in the piazza were great fun also. WE watched movies in the Princess theater in the afternoon. The movies here were newer releases then on muts. We had the couples massage in the cabana in the sanquary, very expensive $269 plus we gave a $60 tip but worth it. We did it on our 3rd sea day after my husband played golf 3 days. He liked the golf pro and enjoyed the courses. My 16yo daughter and I did the segway tour in Bermuda(I did not fall off!) then went to Horseshoe Beach on the bus. After a scary ride and a walk down the hill(take the$1 ride back up the hill) we came to one of the most beautiful beaches I have erer seen(and I've been to Hawaii) In San Juan it was raining and DD and I hit the outlets( the Coach outlet was huge, I think it was bigger then the one in Atlantic City) In St Thomas we went with Henry Christopher on a tour and to Saphire Beach. We also noticed how many 1st time Princess cruisers there were. Being all the way aft we looked at the name tags on the doors as we walked down the long hallway. We noticed the dress in the dining room too. We had a large family with 4 cute and well behaved little boys near us who all dressed up on formal nights. One night their was another family next to us with 6 kids, each with their own hand held game which they played the whole time that they were not shoving food in their mouths. Two of the boys actually picked up their whole steaks with their forks and tore off peices with their teeth. The father had a Yankees tee shirt with holes in it and jeans. All the kids were in shorts. We never saw them again and hoped they went to the buffet after that. The kids were demanding to the waiters and I didn't hear one thank you the whole meal. The waiter Jimmy had a frozen smile on his face the whole meal. Saw a lot of jeans,shorts,etc., even a few baseball caps. I have fould summer carribean cruises to be the most casual, but how hard is it for aman to put on a pair of Dockers and a polo? When we were on RCCL a few summers ago all the teens wore jeans to dinner and my DD begged me to wear hers and I finally gave in the last night. This year though she enjoyed dressing up and wore sundresses and nice capris to dinner. The last night we were a little late leaving( we were trying to get both waiters attention to give them their extra tip) and in game the next large group with aloud yo Jimmy! They were loudly yelling amongst themselves like they were in their own kichen. I felt bad for the waiters that they had to put up with this group all cruise. Please don't judge Princess by a crowded summer cruise. I have done 2 spring Europe cruises on the Star and what a different crowd! Very few kids. Most people dress nicely and were polite. An older crowd that were freqent cruisers. I am looking forward to a May Alaska cruise on HAL. Being "middle age" now I will enjoy being one of the youngins! I enjoy any cruise and try and stay away from the crowds even on a crowded ship. Met some Really nice people(hi Pat!) and overall had agreat time!

I love cruising out of NYC because it's only an hour and a half drive for us, so we save on plane fare! But yes, in the summer cruising out of NY does have a different mix of people. Not that it bothered us on our last 3 cruises....we always met some very nice people and just ignored the rude ones:p

PS: Not saying that people who live in the tri-state area are rude.....born and raised in NJ myself:)

Next Year the Caribbean Princess is sailing out of NY. You should try that ship. We were on it for two weeks at the end of July and other than some problems with my room, the cruise was one of the best if not the best I have ever been on.

Problems with my room (C207):

1. We did not need to go to the show as we could hear it in our room. We were three floors above the theater. Usually it was the rehearsals we heard while changing, but there were a few nights we went to bed early.

2. Whenever the ship came into port, we were awoken by loud noises and shaking. Shaking so bad one time, it almost knocked us out of the bed. My sister who was about 10 rooms down the hall heard and felt nothing.

3. There was a soft spot on the floor between the beds, which dropped about a 1/2 an inch and made a thump noise when stepped on.

Next time I will get a room closer to the center of the ship. That should solve the first two problems. They did not ruin the cruise by any means. I found that an inside room was not so bad. I had only cruised in balcony or ocean view rooms prior to this one.

Have you priced the CB for next summer? I looked at next aug and couldn't even get a minisuite for what I paid for a full suite on the Crown this year. I booked in dec last year, so maybe the price will come down. Looking at RCCL, we can fly to Miami and get a jr suite for the price of a mini alone on the CB.

Have you priced the CB for next summer? I looked at next aug and couldn't even get a minisuite for what I paid for a full suite on the Crown this year. I booked in dec last year, so maybe the price will come down. Looking at RCCL, we can fly to Miami and get a jr suite for the price of a mini alone on the CB.

yes, its crazy...I'm Looking into ncl and they have raised prices almost double.

This is why there are many cruise lines. We are all individuals with different tastes. We're not all expected to like the same things. So it's a good thing we have the freedom to pick the cruise lines that are more suited to us. I wasn't that pleased with my first Princess cruise, but, decided to give them another try. After this cruise, I have to say that I don't think Princess is right for me. It's a good thing we don't all like the same cruise line anyway, you know how crowded that would be. Yikes.

which cruise line are you looking into?...we are shopping around also....we never had an outside room with port hole , we usually get a balcony but with the prices going up, we might have to. Anyone know if those rooms are good too?

Archived