Review: Crown Princess 8/19-8/28: Part I

CraigRDR1

18 cabins to me is still alot because they have to tend to them two times so that would make it 36 and to me that is still alot. Ncl cruise line has a cabin steward for 4 cabins and thats it.

4 cabins.....I highly doubt it!! Where did you ever get that info???????????

Have you priced the CB for next summer? I looked at next aug and couldn't even get a minisuite for what I paid for a full suite on the Crown this year. I booked in dec last year' date=' so maybe the price will come down. Looking at RCCL, we can fly to Miami and get a jr suite for the price of a mini alone on the CB.[/quote']

Hi we met you at the M &G,I too, am looking at cruises for next summer,but want to avoid the crods. When you mention RCCL with the jr suite,which ship are you talking about? Is it the FOS?? We booked a mini-suite in March this year on the Crown,same time as last year when we went,and it was $700.00 more this year. Enjoy going out of NY since we live one hour away,but we are used to celebrity lines. People tend to foolow the dress code,even in the summer. Crown is a gorgous ship,but too over-crowded this year!!!:)

Donna

Hi Donna! Hows work going? We are busy as usual Sept is our always our highest birth month. We are looking at mariner. or Liberty. Can get a mini for under $2000. Would rather do a 9 night out of NY/NJ but the prices are higher. Looked at Explorer of Seas out of Bayonne , 9 nights. $$$$. The good thing about RCCL is that all off their balcony rooms have sofas( unlike Princess) & most sleep 3 so you don't need to get a mini. Although princess minis are designed really well. Rccl's minis are just a larger balcony room with a bathtub. We have been to most of the Iland and would like to try something different but want to keep cost down. Airfare to Europe in the summer is so high and their will be kids and crowds anywhere in the summer. If NCL had a newer ship out of NY I'd try that. Also wish there was more out of the nice new piers in Baltimore and Norfolk. Usually don't book until dec, but already alot of the good cabins are gone. We got a great deal on a premium suite on the crown this year and was nice to have the room and the privicy with a teenage daughter. But on the Cb the same SR is $1000 more pp. So it will probably be a balcony on RCCL. Princess balnies are too small for three and there are very few that accommodate 3.

Thanks, Jan

I didn't realize,are you an RN or MD, too? I am a supervising RN,but my hospital may close or be taken over,so we are being cautious about our booking of cruises too soon before we know the story. I did look at the Liberty and the Freedom of the Seas. We need something the size of the min-suite on the Crown because to fit my 11 year DD. My two olders sons may come too,but we usually get them an inside balcony for themselves anywhere, since one of them is 26. We usually go in Agust because of different work and camp issues,etc. If you seee anything good,please pass it on. Florida does get expensive with 5 airfares, but the "boys" usually pay for their own. May try the Gem from NY!! Great talking to you!

Donna & Mike

Hi again Donna. I'm an OB RN at Inova Fairfax Hospital in no. VA. We do over 10,000 births ayear. We have been 2nd, 3rd and 4th though the years in biths in the country. I also teach Lamaze classes. I haven't found any great deal yet this year. Would like to do explorer of the seas from Bayonne. I like 9 nights and not having to fly.The prices are really high and I have to go in Aug. I really don't feel the need to see San Juan or ST Thomas again. I had picked the Crown because we had never been to Grand Turk or Bermuda before. I am also looking at Liberty or Freedom because my DD would like to try the surfing. We also like the promanade, Ice rink and the way they break up the teens(12-14 and 15-17. Your DD might like this next year. The prices are all high but we could go with the larger balcony,much bigger than Princess with a sofa bed. We like the aft balconies but they are already gone. We really don't like the middle with all the kids running down the halls. Even if we wanted to splurge on a full suite again, I wouldn't do it on these ships, they are right under the pool. Am not ready to commit yet but worry that there wont be much choice of cabins if I wait much longer. Will let you know on our role call if I book anything. Janis

Great Janis,

Sorry we didn't get to talk to much on the ship! We share the same terrific profession! I was an ICU nurse, and am now the Evening supervisor on that shift. Both RCL and Explorer sounds good to us too for summer ,but isn't the itinerary on the Explorer similar to the Crown? My DH's spring break doesn't really match my DD's spring break, so a cruise then doesn't seem possible then! Talk to u back at the role call!!!

18 cabins to me is still alot because they have to tend to them two times so that would make it 36 and to me that is still alot. Ncl cruise line has a cabin steward for 4 cabins and thats it.

I was just on the NCL Dawn Aug. 25 cruise out of New York...never again!!!

900 kids..etc.

My cabin Steward had 33 rooms to clean.....and was way overworked!!!!

Deb

Agree with alot of the comments posted here. My family, parents and children, Age 17 and 13) along with my husband and myself were on the Crown Princess 8/19 cruise. We had been Crown Princess last year as well the week later and found a big difference in the crowd and the attitude the the staff had displayed. Many of the "rules" concerning children were not evenly followed. The youth security were never to be found patrolling as they had the previous year. We love the ship but would never consider going during the summer months again based on this experience. We have cruised many times on several cruise lines; many times with our entire family but never experienced this type of situation. My husband and I are now going on the Dawn Princess in Nov to relax HOPEFULLY!!

Hi Donna! Hows work going? We are busy as usual Sept is our always our highest birth month. We are looking at mariner. or Liberty. Can get a mini for under $2000. Would rather do a 9 night out of NY/NJ but the prices are higher. Looked at Explorer of Seas out of Bayonne , 9 nights. $$$$. The good thing about RCCL is that all off their balcony rooms have sofas( unlike Princess) & most sleep 3 so you don't need to get a mini. Although princess minis are designed really well. Rccl's minis are just a larger balcony room with a bathtub. We have been to most of the Iland and would like to try something different but want to keep cost down. Airfare to Europe in the summer is so high and their will be kids and crowds anywhere in the summer. If NCL had a newer ship out of NY I'd try that. Also wish there was more out of the nice new piers in Baltimore and Norfolk. Usually don't book until dec, but already alot of the good cabins are gone. We got a great deal on a premium suite on the crown this year and was nice to have the room and the privicy with a teenage daughter. But on the Cb the same SR is $1000 more pp. So it will probably be a balcony on RCCL. Princess balnies are too small for three and there are very few that accommodate 3.

jamscckmc-be careful what cabin you book on these ships if you want a sofa! Not all of them have a sofa actually especially the hump cabinseven though the deck plans show it! We got on the Freedom with four adults in a D1 balcony that was supposed to have a sofa and got to our stateroom and it did not! The ship was full and it took seven hours of displacing other peoples in balconies to get us a cabin that had a sofa for four people. We ate dinner with no cabin! I felt horrible that other people had to move etc for RCCL's oversight. Make sure you get confirmation from the TA and Royal about the sofa for the third person. That being said both ships are absolutely beautiful to sail on.

Archived