insulin pump?????

my son has had a pump for 2 years and has cruised with it many times.

since you can be disconnected for 2 hours at a time.......... he disconnects for pool swimming, hot tub etc.

if we're snorkeling an he knows that it would just be more convenient...he'll switch to his lantus/humolog pen regimen for the day.

of course......while on the cruise he checks his blood sugar VERY OFTEN. between all the food and being on a ship in the middle of no where....we need to always know what's what.

by the way.....any other questions...i'm sure we've got the experience:)

I have been on an insulin pump for the last 3 1/2 years after 40 years of three times a day injections. I got the pump because I wanted to travel abroad and not get messed up with all the time zone changes and missed meals like I did when I was a teen studying in Europe with a foreign study group. While I can't comment too much on the water activities with a pump, I would just advise checking your blood sugars more frequently while off of the pump. I have kind of given up on utilizing the pools or hot tubs as too much of a hassle, but I know you can be off of the pump for short periods. I have now been on 4 European cruises with 2 more scheduled and have not had any problems. I would not go back to injections. I do believe the pump gives you a sense of freedom, so go out an enjoy!

Has anyone ever been on a cruise with an insulin pump? Any suggestions on what to do on the excursions that are largely water based? Thinking about just taking injections those days...any ideas???

As someone else stated you can be off the pump for 1-2 hours, may need to bolus yourself when you reconnect and you must test your sugar frequently. I'm surprised your Diabetes Educator/pump trainer didn't go over these types of senerios with you. I am a CDE and I would recommend you call your local hospital and make an appointment with a diabetes educator to advise and work through these issues with you. Using Lantus and humalog is a good substitute for the pump if you are going to be on an excursion of several hours.

I've been on a pump for 9+ years and I just disconnect to swim. It's a bit of a pain because I wear one piece swimsuits and reconnecting in a public place could be considered obscene! People wonder what you are doing under there!!! I am cruising in three weeks and I plan to disconnect while I snorkel and swim. Sometimes if I am planning on just lying on a float or something sedate I will bolus a couple of units before disconnecting. Just be sure to bring along glucose tablets or some other means of raising your blood sugar. I fear lows much more than the occasional high. Especially when in a new place. Good luck. BTW I have new pumps coming tomorrow, the "spirit."

I have been on the pump for just over 11 years and have gone on three cruises with it, I also take it off for a little while when in pool, spa, etc. I also have never had any problems at the airport with it I do bring a note from my doctor stating I am on a pump but I have never had to show the note.

We will be cruising on the Navagator in May and there will be two of us with pumps the other person is only five years old and has had his pump for two years and enjoys all kinds of activites as well as swimming.

I am also a nurse and have been a diabetic for over forty two years and I would never stop using the pump.

Any other questions please ask.

Jackie

Has anyone ever been on a cruise with an insulin pump? Any suggestions on what to do on the excursions that are largely water based? Thinking about just taking injections those days...any ideas???

My 20 yr. old has diabetes and wears an insulin pump. When we cruise and do water based activities he disconnects and reconnects immediately following the activity even if it is to just administer some insulin. Good luck and happy cruising!:)

Yes, I work closely w/ a Diabetes educator and my endocrinologist, I was just wondering what the general population does in reality when on a cruise. I am afraid of disconnecting and leaving my pump on our excursion boats, for fear of theft, but I have never switched over to injections for the day, so I am going to my endo this week and will find out from him what exactly to do. Its nice to know what others to in these situations. :)

Thanks for the reply! I did go to the waterpark the other day and had my pump off most of the day and just checked every 2 hrs and gave a bolus then. Amazingly blood sugars stayed Great all day! Have had the pump for 8 yrs, have never switched to injections and this is my 1st cruise, so I am kinda nervous about keeping up with the pump if I am taking it on and off so much and on the long excursions I dont want it to get stolen by leaving it on the smaller excursion boats.

My Husband has been on the pump for about 2 years. He disconnects for the hot tub or pool. A few weeks ago he went to the water park with the grandkids and disconnected. Had no problems. He keeps track of the time he's off and tests. He might try snorkinlg when we go to the Mexican Caribbean on Voyager in February if he's feeling up to it. He has CHF so he needs to be careful of exerting himself.

He usually takes a few syringes and some insulin with him on trips, just in case but so far he has not needed them. We always carry a fresh prescription for insulin and needles when we travel, just in case.

I always carry his glucometer and glucose tablets and we do shore excursions together. We did the Panama Canal 11 day cruise last winter and even with a bit too much "tasting" his A1C looked good to the Endo.

The airports did not make him go through the gates. He got patted down. I don't think there is anything bad about going through metal detectors with a pump (The IP Internet Group doesn't think so) so I think he just likes the physical attention.:)

We are registered for the cruise/tour to Australia and New Zealand in October-November. I am a little more concerned about airline food so I ordered low-carb meals for him. "Diabetic" meals usually are loaded with carbs but the carbs are sweetened with artificial sweeteners :rolleyes:

I can't help you with the question, but I have a question--Folks with the pump can't get wet??? How does one bathe? Just curious, because I think the insulin pump is a fine invention! (At least, from what I've read!)

Actually, we dont bathe...................just kidding! You can disconnect the pump for 1-2 hrs.:)

As someone else stated you can be off the pump for 1-2 hours, may need to bolus yourself when you reconnect and you must test your sugar frequently. I'm surprised your Diabetes Educator/pump trainer didn't go over these types of senerios with you. I am a CDE and I would recommend you call your local hospital and make an appointment with a diabetes educator to advise and work through these issues with you. Using Lantus and humalog is a good substitute for the pump if you are going to be on an excursion of several hours.

Yes, I work closely w/ a Diabetes educator and my endocrinologist, I was just wondering what the general population does in reality when on a cruise. I am afraid of disconnecting and leaving my pump on our excursion boats, for fear of theft, but I have never switched over to injections for the day, so I am going to my endo this week and will find out from him what exactly he wants me to do. Its nice to know what others actually do in these situations. :)

my son has had a pump for 2 years and has cruised with it many times.

since you can be disconnected for 2 hours at a time.......... he disconnects for pool swimming, hot tub etc.

if we're snorkeling an he knows that it would just be more convenient...he'll switch to his lantus/humolog pen regimen for the day.

of course......while on the cruise he checks his blood sugar VERY OFTEN. between all the food and being on a ship in the middle of no where....we need to always know what's what.

by the way.....any other questions...i'm sure we've got the experience:)

Thanks for the reply! I did go to the waterpark the other day and had my pump off most of the day and just checked every 2 hrs and gave a bolus then. Amazingly blood sugars stayed Great all day! Have had the pump for 8 yrs, have never switched to injections and this is my 1st cruise, so I am kinda nervous about keeping up with the pump if I am taking it on and off so much and on the long excursions I dont want it to get stolen by leaving it on the smaller excursion boats.

I have been on the pump for just over 11 years and have gone on three cruises with it, I also take it off for a little while when in pool, spa, etc. I also have never had any problems at the airport with it I do bring a note from my doctor stating I am on a pump but I have never had to show the note.

We will be cruising on the Navagator in May and there will be two of us with pumps the other person is only five years old and has had his pump for two years and enjoys all kinds of activites as well as swimming.

I am also a nurse and have been a diabetic for over forty two years and I would never stop using the pump.

Wow, 40 years.... I have had it for 23, since I was 4 y.o.

I think it is interesting to see what other people do in reality in different situations. This is my 1st cruise and I am just a little worried about getting my pump stolen on those long water excursions where there is no way I will even have my backpack w/ me and it will be on the smaller excursions boats. I might take a few syringes that day and lock the pump up in the room.

• 2 weeks later...

annad1980,

Yes I have been a diabetic since I was 18 months old I am now 45. I am a nurse and I work with kids who are diabetics. I've never had any problems while doing excursions or with traveling.

You should be able to take a back pack with you, there should be someplace you can safely keep it while doing your excursion.

Wow, I am also a nurse, and a type one diabetic. My HGA1C is in such a good range the insurance company will not approve of a pump for me. So here I am on Novolog x3 a day and Levemir (like Lantus) at night. I am about to go on a 15 day cruise in a few weeks, and I WISH I had a pump. I get such FAST drops in my blood sugar with Novolog, that injecting in the stateroom would be an RX for disaster. Shooting up at the table is not what I have ever been comfortable with....any suggestions you fellow diabetics and nurses?

I have been diabetic for 32 years and on a pump for 15 years. I have been on 3 cruises with my pump.

Every situation is different. If we are at a pool or the beach, and I want to get wet, but someone will be staying with our stuff, I disconnect, put the pump in a ziploc bag, put that in my beach bag, put it under my chair, to keep it out of the sun, and whoever is staying at the chairs can watch my stuff. At the small pools on a cruise, where you can see your stuff, I'm comfortable leaving it in my bag under my chair, if we're all getting in the pool.

At a water park, like at Disney World, I rent a locker. I leave the pump in the locker. I go back to the locker every 1.5-2 hours and check my sugar and take a bolus.

I think what you're asking is, what if your entire group is out on a boat and there is no where to leave your stuff, but you can't be without your pump for hours and hours. I am not sure what brand your pump is, but the manufacturer should make something like this:

http://store.minimed.com/mmStore/application?origin=sub_category_view.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=Products&portletid=Products&wfevent=product_detail_direct.event&wlcs_product_item_key=MMT-145

Good luck!

I've been on a pump for 9+ years and I just disconnect to swim. It's a bit of a pain because I wear one piece swimsuits and reconnecting in a public place could be considered obscene! People wonder what you are doing under there!!!

I feel your pain! This swimsuit changed my life:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/FailleSwimMini-58940_57195_593.html?CM_MERCH=SRCH

my 12 year old daughter has been pumping for 7 years diabetes for 8 years and cruising since she was 3. 12 of her 14 cruises have been while pumping. she usually just disconnects for swimming and hottubbing on the ship and leaves her pump in the cabin. for shore excursions with snorkeling we either do a shot of lantus the night before and let her go on pen shots for the day (we also do this on water park day, not safe leaving pump alone all day) or i will wear a really large water safe from pelican to carry her pump around my neck. also my daughter has an animas pump which is waterproof to 25 feet for something like 23 hours. we still don't like to take it in the ocean or any salt water because it gets crusty in it's cracks a crevises. i also reccomend you contact your pump company. all pump companies will give you a loaner pump to take with you on vacation in case you have any pump failures.

to the person who's insurance company won't give her a pump...you need to speak up for yourself your endo so that they will dispute it with your insurance company all it takes is a little persistance. some of the time all it will take is to "fail" a c-peptide test and they will allow it.

hkmom

i also reccomend you contact your pump company. all pump companies will give you a loaner pump to take with you on vacation in case you have any pump failures.

to the person who's insurance company won't give her a pump...you need to speak up for yourself your endo so that they will dispute it with your insurance company all it takes is a little persistance. some of the time all it will take is to "fail" a c-peptide test and they will allow it.

hkmom

I was going to mention the loaner availability (I have an Animas). Last year my pump malfunctioned, I called Animas and they overnighted me a brand new one that I received the very next day! Luckily this happened while at home, and I subsequently found out about their loaner program for vacations.

Regarding insurance approving a pump...I tried for almost ten years with decline after decline, with a couple of different insurance companies. I've been diabetic for over 40 years and the best thing about the move to where I currently live, is that my new doctor had me on the pump within a month. One of my former endocrinologists went as far as to write a letter stating that my husband and I were 'considering pregnancy'...and I was still denied the pump. It was frustrating to hear about infants and kids obtaining them, and my brother has had one for nearly ten years. Doing it over, we would have just paid for one (6K) years ago to have the control and convenience. I am very grateful and I love it.

DisneyAunt, I like that swimsuit! :)

my 12 year old daughter has been pumping for 7 years diabetes for 8 years and cruising since she was 3. 12 of her 14 cruises have been while pumping. she usually just disconnects for swimming and hottubbing on the ship and leaves her pump in the cabin. for shore excursions with snorkeling we either do a shot of lantus the night before and let her go on pen shots for the day (we also do this on water park day, not safe leaving pump alone all day) or i will wear a really large water safe from pelican to carry her pump around my neck. also my daughter has an animas pump which is waterproof to 25 feet for something like 23 hours. we still don't like to take it in the ocean or any salt water because it gets crusty in it's cracks a crevises. i also reccomend you contact your pump company. all pump companies will give you a loaner pump to take with you on vacation in case you have any pump failures.

hkmom

We keep working on it. I see my endo next Monday and she is writing another letter. I think eventually they will give in, but I tell you I have had a LOT of trouble with this company...you wouldn't believe the fights I have had with them. For example, they no longer will cover my test strips, which as you know are very expensive. They also goofed up and didn't pay a hospital bill, and now I have met my MAXIMUM out-of-pocket and they expect ME to go to each of the people whose bills I have paid and get a reimbursement (all 49 of them), right. And then I am suppose to pay the hospital directly. I have written, talked and otherwise argued with them for months. Finally they put it on my credit report. Never mind, that I have the cancelled checks for my part of the medical bills. It is bad enough to have diabetes......

Archived