I Don't have a long dress!!!

francesca110584

Hi everyone!

I am going on the Oriana on Monday with my 84 year old grandmother (lord help me!) and I've been reading dress code info and I don't have a long formal dress!!

I have nice black cocktail dresses, is that appropriote for the formal evenings? Also, on the "smart casual" evenings it doesn't really state what is appropriote, now i'm a 20 year old student so smart-casual for me is jeans and high heels!!

HELP! :eek:

Can't speak for P&O or Oriana, but on Princess black cocktail dresses are fine for formal nights. Rarely see a lady in long formal gowns anymore on Princess ships.

Really want to sail on Oriana sometime - sailed twice on the old Oriana, and she was a lovely ship in her day. Hope to take a leg of Oriana's world cruise through the Suez Canal in the not too distant future.

Michael

I have nice black cocktail dresses, is that appropriote for the formal evenings? Also, on the "smart casual" evenings it doesn't really state what is appropriote, now i'm a 20 year old student so smart-casual for me is jeans and high heels!!
First of all, don't panic! You will see plenty of people who haven't slavishly followed the dress suggestions - which is, after all, what they really are.

I had a dig around in my photos from last year's short cruise on the Adonia to find those from the formal night. I think that all the girls on my table wore cocktail dresses to the formal night dinner. I don't remember any of them looking in the least bit out of place. I remember few women wearing long dresses. As black is more formal than coloured, anyway, you're already a step ahead of my companions.

You might want to read the cruise line's information carefully to see whether there is a specific ban on jeans in the dining room. But for me, chinos and a polo shirt would be "smart casual" on a ship, and so anything that is consistent with that should be fine.

Hi

You will not need a long dress, the people we saw had a mix of long and short.

But there are no jeans! even smart ones. Black trousers and a top seem to do all the evenings! I found the smart casual smarter than I had expected but did not look out of place with a smart top and trousers.

But most of all don't worry, you are on holiday!

Hope this helps

Regards

Jo

• 1 year later...

nowadays the way people dress in the dining rooms is disgusting.

nobody enforces the dress code. people on our formal night came in with stubbies and day shirt and thongs and no one said a thing it was quiet disappionting after i took the time to make sure i had enough different formal to last the duration of my time on the ship

Black cocktail dress will be fine for formal nights - especially with nice earrings or other jewellery. Evening pants with dressy tops were popular for smart casual. On Princess ships the dress code is no jeans in the dining room in the evenings and I would imagine the Oriana would be similar in dress code requirements. Having said that you probably wouldn't be turned away if you did wear them but enjoy dressing up a little and I'm sure you and your Gran will both have a great time.:)

Archived