What Kind of Shopping?

globe9

Ok, I'm a girl so I'm interested in the shopping. What kind of shopping is there in Progresso? I like t-shirts(hefty 100% cotton quality shirts NOT the 5 for $10 things that fall apart after 2 washes), crafts, jewelry(especially watches), real or faux designer items, crappy knick knacks(to buy for those people at home expecting something), etc. Are there any shops at all by the pier? What does the town of Meridia have to offer? It's a fairly large town from what I read, so they must have some sort of shopping. Any really good deals to be had there? Liquor etc? Just wondering.

Thanks!

There is a great open-air market 5 feet from where the bus drops you off. A large variety with many different vendors. You'll love it, especially if you like to haggle and deal with warm, friendly people.:)

Kingfish ,

I was wondering if you could tell me what to look for in particular?

Ive seen photos of clothes mainly and blankets...

Do you know what the going prices would be ...?

Tshirts ?

Souvenirs ? like magnets , etc?

how about prices for Kahlua ?

or is it all clothes and blankets ?

Thank you

Cmamasita, there is a HUGE variety of things at the market. T-shirts, hats, clothing, beadwork, jewelry and earrings, carved masks and vessels....all kinds of stuff. I couldn't tell you the prices on any of that because I was FOCUSED on getting an authentic handmade Mayan hammock. Well, I had gone online http://www.mexicoguru.com/hammocks.php

to check out prices on the internet....which ranged from $39 to $150. I wound up buying 2 large (two person) hammocks. With a little haggling I was able to purchase one of them for $16 and the other one for $15.

No matter what you decide to buy, you WILL find better deals with the locals in Progreso than you ever will in Cozumel. And they are very nice, down to earth folks, not pushy like the border towns here in Texas. A simple "No, Gracias" and a smile and they won't ask you more than once. Progreso is a wonderful town, and I'll be back there in two weeks!!! We're going to try to look at some property there (thinking about retiring there in about 4 years:rolleyes: )

Now you have me wanting a hammock too! I can't wait to shop at this market. It sounds right up my alley. My 5 year old has been practicing her haggling in spanish. She keeps saying, its too expensive!

ROFL....now THAT'S funny!!

All I learned before our last trip was: 1) Una mas cerveza, por favor. 2) Donde es el bano? and 3) Donde estan mis pantalones? :)

ROFL....now THAT'S funny!!

All I learned before our last trip was: 1) Una mas cerveza, por favor. 2) Donde es el bano? and 3) Donde estan mis pantalones? :)

How funny! Hope you found your pants:D My little one loves to shop. She's going to have a blast. We are giving her $100 for spending money, and she is totally excited that she will be able to buy whatever she wants. When I told her she could negotiate the price, she was all smiles.

Cmamasita, there is a HUGE variety of things at the market. T-shirts, hats, clothing, beadwork, jewelry and earrings, carved masks and vessels....all kinds of stuff. I couldn't tell you the prices on any of that because I was FOCUSED on getting an authentic handmade Mayan hammock. Well, I had gone online http://www.mexicoguru.com/hammocks.php

to check out prices on the internet....which ranged from $39 to $150. I wound up buying 2 large (two person) hammocks. With a little haggling I was able to purchase one of them for $16 and the other one for $15.

No matter what you decide to buy, you WILL find better deals with the locals in Progreso than you ever will in Cozumel. And they are very nice, down to earth folks, not pushy like the border towns here in Texas. A simple "No, Gracias" and a smile and they won't ask you more than once. Progreso is a wonderful town, and I'll be back there in two weeks!!! We're going to try to look at some property there (thinking about retiring there in about 4 years:rolleyes: )

So you actually were able to get 2 of them for $31

I think that is Excellent !!:cool:

Looking forward to shopping ... Thank you

mental note : shopping in Progreso ,

drinking and beaches in Cozumel !!:D

So you actually were able to get 2 of them for $31

I think that is Excellent !!:cool:

Looking forward to shopping ... Thank you

mental note : shopping in Progreso ,

drinking and beaches in Cozumel !!:D

Yes, I gave one to FIL who has a bad back. HE LOVES IT!!

Have fun and enjoy Progreso (and Coz too of course):)

Hi,

I'm not really interested in hammocks, handmade clothes, or crafts. Do they sell jewelry(silver, gemstones), watches, or liquor here? Also, do they have any upscale shopping in Meridia? Like a mall or something?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not really interested in hammocks, handmade clothes, or crafts. Do they sell jewelry(silver, gemstones), watches, or liquor here? Also, do they have any upscale shopping in Meridia? Like a mall or something?

Thanks!

At the market in Progreso there was lots of jewelry. Don't know about the other stuff, but Merida is a very large cosmo city.

Nice article about the hammocks which I intend to purchase. What kind of materials was yours made out of? And how do you know? They said that the one kind was itchy.

Archived