Transfers in Barbados

Cruisin Simon

In the past we have always used Seabourn's pre-booked transfer service to take us from the airport to the ship, primarily because you are taken directly to the foot of the gangway.

This year, we are staying in the Hilton the night before the start of the cruise and as the hotel is such a short distance from the port, we were thinking of taking a taxi.

Has anyone else used taxis to get to the ship in Barbados and if so, do they drive you through security and straight to the ship or do you get dropped off at the cruise terminal? If the latter, then what happens to your luggage and how do you get to the ship?

Many thanks for your help,

Simon :)

We used a taxi to take us from our hotel to the Barbados cruise terminal last year - no problem at all. The taxi dropped us off at the entrance to the terminal building. We left our large cases just inside the terminal building, taking our carry on bags with us. We were taken by port bus (free) the short distance to the foot of the gangway. Our large cases were put through security in the terminal and appeared in our cabin shortly afterwards.

The Hilton is close to Bridgetown so the taxi shouldn't be too expensive.

We will be doing the same in December this year!:)

Sue

Taxi will not be a problem at the Hilton. We have stayed there the last two years, coming in the day before the cruise, and it always works well.

If I can offer a suggestion. The Hilton has a hospitality suite that you can reserve for 1/2 hour blocks of time. After you check out you will have quite a lot of time to kill before embarking. Check your bags with the bell desk and reserve the hospitality suite for later in the day so that you can shower and change prior to going to the port. Make sure to reserve early as there is only one and the slots fill up fast.

Also you can hire a car from Grantley airport to the Hilton and then arrange for it to pick you up the next day (maybe even take you out do dinner at "The Cliff" ;-) to start the cruise out right, it is superb! http://www.thecliffbarbados.com/ ). The price for a car service is very reasonable. I have use "Tanzanite" car service http://www.tanzanitelimo.com/ and we have always been completely happy with their service, they are prompt, personable, and accomodating.

I had the same good experience with taxis in Barbados. At the end of the cruise our plane was leaving later, so we took a Seabourn excursion before going to the airport. They brought us back to the pier and we were able to get a nice taxi with no problem and reasonably.

Many thanks for the great suggestions regarding using a taxi between the Hilton and the port and using the hospitality suite. I'll start getting this booked up straight away.

Out of interest to others, on our return to Barbados, we have always hired a self drive car so that we can explore this lovely island until it is time to catch our evening flight back to the UK. We spend the last few hours on the beautiful Crane Beach before showering off and making our way back to Grantley Adams Airport, parking up the car and dropping off the keys at the airline check-in desk.

If anyone is interested in doing something like this, we have always used Stoutes Car Rental ( http://www.stoutescar.com ) as they have a desk at the port (right outside the front entrance) allowing you to hire at the port and drop off at the airport.

Can someone tell me what time you actually can board the Pride in Barbados? We are staying at the Hilton the night before as well, but through Seabourn and they are supplying the transfers from the hotel to the ship (or so we have been told!) I know the ship does not leave until well into the evening, but when can you board? Thanks.

Hi Cotto, I THINK it is about 2.00 pm, but I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me if is actually 3.00 pm.

The ship actually doesn't sail until 11.00 pm. Given the time difference between the UK and Barbados, I am usually asleep by then and have woken up to find that we are on the move, slipping out of the harbour!

I was on the same cruise last December, that left Barbados late. I got onboard about 3pm I think, and some passengers had already been taken to their cabins. If you get on any earlier, you may have to wait in the lounge before your cabin is ready.

I am also at the Hilton Nov. 14, 15 and 16. I was going to ask for a late checkout on the 17th so I can board about 3. When coming back to Barbados after the cruise, last year I was able to get a day room at the Hilton before my flight back to California. This year they don't seem to have any, so I booked the Silver Sands. That way I can hang out on the beach for awhile, until I have to face the fact that....it's all over.

Jane :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! We are counting the days!

We didn't do the entire three day pre cruise stay at the Hilton because of my husband's work schedule, but didn't feel comfortable flying into Barbados the day of the cruise. We have had our share of delayed and canceled flights lately.

I am also at the Hilton Nov. 14, 15 and 16. I was going to ask for a late checkout on the 17th so I can board about 3. When coming back to Barbados after the cruise, last year I was able to get a day room at the Hilton before my flight back to California. This year they don't seem to have any, so I booked the Silver Sands. That way I can hang out on the beach for awhile, until I have to face the fact that....it's all over.

Jane :rolleyes:

Jane, if you can switch your booking from the Silver Sands, do so. In my opinion, it really is a disappointment and the beach (being south coast) has lots of wave action and wind - therefore not the greatest for swimming or sunbathing. Food is awful and staff attitude poor. If possible, consider staying at Peach and Quiet - 10 minutes away from Silver Sands and in the same price bracket. P&Q is not luxury, but has a lot of the same personalized feel you experience at Seabourn. No kids, no canned music (Silver Sands has lots of both). Downsides for P&Q are no a/c (if this is important) and no beach (although it is on the water). To compensate, there is a very pretty sheltered pool with spectacular views of the sea. Excellent food too.

Thank you about the Silver Sands info. I will not stay there based on your good information.

Last time I was in Barbados, I did stay at Peach and Quiet. You're right that the food, and location, were super. However because of the lack of A/C in the room, I tell you I just about died of suffrocation. And I was eaten alive by mosquitoes, trying to sit out on the patio and get some air. I wouldn't go back for those reasons.

I'll think of something else for the day, thanks so much.

Jane

Thank you about the Silver Sands info. I will not stay there based on your good information.

Last time I was in Barbados, I did stay at Peach and Quiet. You're right that the food, and location, were super. However because of the lack of A/C in the room, I tell you I just about died of suffrocation. And I was eaten alive by mosquitoes, trying to sit out on the patio and get some air. I wouldn't go back for those reasons.

I'll think of something else for the day, thanks so much.

Jane

We asked the hotel to provide extra room fans - that took care of both the mozzie and air circulation problems. Tho I did need ear plugs to drown out the sound of the fans (I usually need them anyway). It's worth a shot!

*lol* I don't think P&Q would let me back in....I posted a review on TripAdvisor after my experience and the management replied to my post. I was a bit puzzled at their patronizing tone, since I complimented them on their lovely location and service. I also was not the only reviewer to mention the lack of A/C and the mosquitoes being a problem. I don't think a room fan would begin to make a difference, sorry. I can understand why some people love the place, it is gorgeous, and very reasonably priced, just not for me.

I did score a dayroom at the Hilton, I had to keep calling over the last few months since they kept saying no, no, no, but today they said yes. That is where I'm staying a few days pre-cruise. I was there last year and absolutely loved it. So I'm all set. Thanks!

Jane

*lol* I don't think P&Q would let me back in....I posted a review on TripAdvisor after my experience and the management replied to my post. I was a bit puzzled at their patronizing tone, since I complimented them on their lovely location and service. I also was not the only reviewer to mention the lack of A/C and the mosquitoes being a problem. I don't think a room fan would begin to make a difference, sorry. I can understand why some people love the place, it is gorgeous, and very reasonably priced, just not for me.

I did score a dayroom at the Hilton, I had to keep calling over the last few months since they kept saying no, no, no, but today they said yes. That is where I'm staying a few days pre-cruise. I was there last year and absolutely loved it. So I'm all set. Thanks!

Jane

Congratulations on getting your room at the Hilton - it's a gorgeous place for a short stay. I read your TA review and thought it laid out your likes and dislikes (and rationales) quite fairly...P&Q is clearly more for some than others!

Archived