Do you Need a Passport in November of 2007

We are leaving on a cruise November 17, 2007 and a friend who is going with us does not have one and probably would have a hard time getting one. The final payment is due 9/4 and the question is...can he travel with his Birth Certificate and Drivers License in November of 2007.

Thanks

Bill

Hopefully more knowledgeable cruisers will also respond, but my impression, from reading the government site and info here on Cruise Critic, is that he can travel by ship with just an original government issued birth certificate (that is, a certified copy NOT a photocopy & not a hospital record of birth) plus a current Driver's License (must be a photo license). The BC proves citizenship and the photo ID proves identity. This assumes you are leaving from & returning to a USA port prior to 1/1/08 (this may have changed to a later date?).

Here's an interesting thread about Passports and recently proposed changes- you may want to keep an eye on it:

Click here: Passport Clarification Needed.. - Page 10 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Also- suggest that he consider getting a passport- he'll eventually need one. He has enough time to request another certified copy of his BC, so that he could send one with his passport application and still have a spare in case the passport doesn't arrive in time for the cruise.

Birth certificate? I was under the impression a driver's license was enough? :confused:

You must have an state issued certified birth certificate and a valid state ID or drivers license. So many people get denied boarding for just showing up with just a driver's license.

Who told you that just a DL is enough?

Have your friend apply, anyway. He will get a receipt. This is important in case he would have to fly back into the country because of an emergency -- you need the passport to fly in, but the receipt saying you have applied may be enough because of the back log in applications.

If he applie now and expidites it I'm sure he will have it. We just applied for our daughter this past Saturday for our November 18 cruise and were told we will get it with out a problem since we chose to have it expedited.

No one told me, just an impression. You're right though, an original or certified copy of your birth certificate is required. Just checked RCCL site.

Sadly people have that impression and it ends up being terrible when they get dennied boarding or are trying to go get a same day birth cert.

And I know I am right... I do guest check in at the port Of Los Angeles .

When I see the passport vs. B/C subject come up, either here or in conversation with friends, I always ask, "Do you have ANY plans to travel internationally within the next ten years?" and "Do you have any DESIRE to travel internationally within the next ten years?" If the answer is YES, then there is no time like the present to suck it up and get the passport. Yes, the upfront cost may be considered high, but since the adult passport is valid for ten years, that amortizes out to about $6-$8 per year which is just a little more then a Big Mac and a medium Coke.

Now, if you know with absolute certainty that you won't be traveling internationally AT ALL -- and that includes Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean -- then by all means, don't get a passport.

Michael

See the State Dept site for most accurate info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

If you will not be re-entering the U.S. BY AIR (that is the key here), you are not required to have a passport. HOWEVER, should you for any reason need to be flown back to the U.S. (illness, other emergency cutting your cruise short), a passport would be required (per State Dept website at this time, using the "proof of application" substitute is only valid through 09/30/07). Therefore, it is highly recommended that you obtain passports, just in case. Note, you should apply ASAP and might want to consider expedited service. I would personally rather have the passport, as it is the best identification you can carry and will ease your travels. Just my opinion, though.

If he applie now and expidites it I'm sure he will have it. We just applied for our daughter this past Saturday for our November 18 cruise and were told we will get it with out a problem since we chose to have it expedited.

We applied using Expedited service on Sat 08/17. Was notified our passports were complete on Sat 08/25 -- ONE WEEK! We received our passports yesterday, Wed 08/29. And, we did not pay to have overnight delivery, they were sent by USPS.

Archived