Hand Sanitizers on Millennium 28 Aug

mikemo

Very good discussion about Noro but what about the fact that you are usually contagious long before you come down with the symptoms? People can't wait till they are sick to practice good hygiene because they don't really ever know when they might be coming down with something. Also, people need to know that splashing a little water and soap on your hands is not going to kill anything. Rubbing with soap and water for a good minute (remember the ABC song?) each time you wash is what it takes. Who does that each time they wash?

Since I came down with a violent case on my last cruise (March 06) I wonder if I have any immunities? Does anyone know? Or are there just too many varieties? I was kind of hoping I was safe for a while. Cruiseline (NCL)treated me well though. I came down with it as we were sailing into Seattle at end of trip so I was put up in First class hotel all expenses paid until I was well enough to go home.

My heart goes out to all the sick people on this cruise. It ain't no fun!:(

Several studies (including the CDC) have shown that the alcohol-based chemicals in the hand sanitizers are virtually useless against the Norovirus. In fact, some surmise that these chemicals can do more harm than good (that is another story). To quote from a paper presented last year at the American Society for Microbiology, "The alcohol-based sanitizer was not effective at removing the virus from the volunteers’ fingers and only resulted in an average removal of 46%." This same study also found that washing with plain water removed 96% of Norovirus. The bottom line is that the hand santizers are somewhat of a "con" and the cruise lines are aware of the studies. In fact, it has been argued that providing hand sanitizers gives a false sense of securtiy and might even discourage passengers from simply washing their hands with soap and water (much more effective).

Hank

Ok I washed my hand after leaving the ladies room, and I used the and sanitizer before entering the buffet.... but now what... do I get my tray, and a box of clorox wipes and another bottle of a hand sanitzer and maybe just pack my own silverware in a baggie in my purse?....Yuck I hate to think that others could get me sick, but lucky enough I've been able to avoid it on all cruises.

Ok I washed my hand after leaving the ladies room, and I used the and sanitizer before entering the buffet.... but now what... do I get my tray, and a box of clorox wipes and another bottle of a hand sanitzer and maybe just pack my own silverware in a baggie in my purse?....Yuck I hate to think that others could get me sick, but lucky enough I've been able to avoid it on all cruises.

Actually DW does carry personal sanitizer too.

There is one pathway that no one has touched on yet. That is the tour bus. On many tours they feed you. Anyone ever seen a sanitizer ashore?

In Egypt our company tried everything possible. It was a small cruise ship - 52 passengers - and we had hand washing etc. On return from a tour we had to return directly to our cabins to wash. However they overlooked two pathways.

On returning from a particularly hot tour we were all given a glass of fresh juice as we boarded!

The second was much more subtle. The currency at the tourist level is paper based. A pound note was worth about a quarter. It was handled like a quarter and although it was brown in colour that could also have been dirt.

I've been on quite a few Celebrity cruises, where a hand sanitizer was stationed right at the gangway, prior to entering the ship.

And in ports where the weather is warm, Celebrity hands it's passengers iced towels and has cold punch of water available.

Regarding viruses...families with small children, that are back in school now, will start to experience colds & flu in the next few months. At any given time, a classroom of 30 students will have approximately 3 students absent, due to various illnesses. That 10%. The statistics of sick passengers on any given cruiseship, are usually less.

We're in a closed-in environment, and just have to be diligent in viral prevention.

Several studies (including the CDC) have shown that the alcohol-based chemicals in the hand sanitizers are virtually useless against the Norovirus. In fact, some surmise that these chemicals can do more harm than good (that is another story). To quote from a paper presented last year at the American Society for Microbiology, "The alcohol-based sanitizer was not effective at removing the virus from the volunteers’ fingers and only resulted in an average removal of 46%." This same study also found that washing with plain water removed 96% of Norovirus. The bottom line is that the hand santizers are somewhat of a "con" and the cruise lines are aware of the studies. In fact, it has been argued that providing hand sanitizers gives a false sense of securtiy and might even discourage passengers from simply washing their hands with soap and water (much more effective).

Hank

Also, the CDC suggests 20 seconds (or two Happy Birthdays) of soap and water, not the 60 second (ABC) suggested by a previous poster.

It perhaps bear repeating, sanitizers may neutralise but not remove. Soad and water may not neutralise but they will transport a contaminant away.

Each has its place.

Remove as much dirt as possible. Sanitize what is left.

Water removes 96% leaving 4%. The sanitizer then removed 46% or a total of 97.84%.

Archived