Booking Agents?

IResQU

We are getting ready to book our next cruise for jan.07 Last time I called Carnival directly. Have any of you had good/bad results with the agents like, expedia, travelocity, lastminute cruises? I just want to get the best deal, and not have anything screwed up! Thanks, :)

We are getting ready to book our next cruise for jan.07 Last time I called Carnival directly. Have any of you had good/bad results with the agents like, expedia, travelocity, lastminute cruises? I just want to get the best deal, and not have anything screwed up! Thanks, :)

Where ever you book and who ever you book threw you will get the same rates. I say the best way to book is directly with carnival, because if you have any problems or have any questions they are open 24/7. You have access to your booking 24/7. If you work with a travel agent you have to call them for any questions you have about your reservation. So really best bet is going threw Carnival!

Where ever you book and who ever you book threw you will get the same rates. I say the best way to book is directly with carnival, because if you have any problems or have any questions they are open 24/7. You have access to your booking 24/7. If you work with a travel agent you have to call them for any questions you have about your reservation. So really best bet is going threw Carnival!

Not at all true. Carnival does not allow TAs to advertise for less but they do allow discounting (unlike RCI or Disney). There are many TAs who if you call have lower rates or will discount. I use one of the warehouses and got $118 off my cheapie rates for 3, but if you are booking a higher category the amount of discount can be substantial.

I prefer a PVP through Carnival for several reasons: You can call Carnival directly with any questions, changes, or problems as opposed to having to go through a third party. If you opt for paper tickets, they go directly to you as opposed to a third party. Carnival has a price guarantee, so if you find it advertised cheaper, Carnival will refund the difference. Of course, this may not cover non-advertised discounts offered by your agent. I booked my last cruised through an agent and got an additional discount above my military discount, but I will still book with a PVP next time for the reasons listed.

Carnival has NEVER matched or beaten the actual prices I get thru online TA's. But finding a good reliable TA, online or brick & mortar, OR a good PVP thru Carnival is difficult. If you have either one and you're happy with them, stick with them.

Dan

Not at all true. Carnival does not allow TAs to advertise for less but they do allow discounting (unlike RCI or Disney). There are many TAs who if you call have lower rates or will discount. I use one of the warehouses and got $118 off my cheapie rates for 3, but if you are booking a higher category the amount of discount can be substantial.

Yeah because they are discounting from their commission when they are not suppose to! So yeah they can take it out of their paycheck if they want to! But when the rates go down and you call your ta and let know that some dont want to cause it comes off their commission! I rather pay the rate of the cruise and be able to talk to carnival whenever i want. and get info off my booking whenever i want. Talk to whoever answers the phone to help me. Not all ta's are open 24/7. and some you have to go threw the same person you booked with and they might not be there the time you need them! Iam cheap and like to save money but i rather have access to my booking whenever i want to.

Yeah because they are discounting from their commission when they are not suppose to! So yeah they can take it out of their paycheck if they want to! But when the rates go down and you call your ta and let know that some dont want to cause it comes off their commission! I rather pay the rate of the cruise and be able to talk to carnival whenever i want. and get info off my booking whenever i want. Talk to whoever answers the phone to help me. Not all ta's are open 24/7. and some you have to go threw the same person you booked with and they might not be there the time you need them! Iam cheap and like to save money but i rather have access to my booking whenever i want to.

Again an incorrect statement. Correct, Discounts will come from the agents/agencies commission...however, it is allowed by Carnival. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do not allow discounts. Carnival does.

Again an incorrect statement. Correct, Discounts will come from the agents/agencies commission...however, it is allowed by Carnival. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do not allow discounts. Carnival does.

Again that is a correct statement! Carnival doesnt allow for it to be done, but they do it anyways. And who said anything about Royal or Celebrity? But i said my opinon i rahter pay what it is and be able to have access to my bking whenever i want, and if the rates go down i dont have to worry about a ta getting upset cause they losing money from their commission.

Carnival has rules against TA's doing this, but they can't regulate it well. I think that going directly thru carnival is much better, because too many times I think TA's are overwhelmed and don't take the time to take care of their guests, IMHO.

Sorry, CCL does allow discounting. They do not allow advertised discounting.

They do not allow discounting commission, but they can't always stop it. The reason they don't allow this is because if you have a large agency that does this continually, they will undercut the smaller agencies that cannot afford to do so.

This is correct.....and as a TA, I follow the rules or my commission would be at stake in selling the Carnival product.

This topic has been brought up so many times and always seems to end in a war of who is right and who is not.

I've noticed on this thread that everybody talks about how the TA can get you a lower price, (or not). Nobody has mentioned the methods that TA's sometimes use.......that is, to hook you up with other of their clients and get you a "group discount". :rolleyes: I've had that happen to me several times and have gotten some good price breaks when the TA goes in that direction.

I'm sure that the cruise lines are aware of this, but apparently they condone it rather than rule against it. ;)

I've noticed on this thread that everybody talks about how the TA can get you a lower price, (or not). Nobody has mentioned the methods that TA's sometimes use.......that is, to hook you up with other of their clients and get you a "group discount". :rolleyes: I've had that happen to me several times and have gotten some good price breaks when the TA goes in that direction.

I'm sure that the cruise lines are aware of this, but apparently they condone it rather than rule against it. ;)

Yes, but many times "Group Rates" are not the lowest available and sometimes the same as thru the regular reservations dept. It's the """perks""" or "Ammenities" a TA can offer that usally appeal to a group as well as lower deposits in many cases.

This is correct.....and as a TA, I follow the rules or my commission would be at stake in selling the Carnival product.

This topic has been brought up so many times and always seems to end in a war of who is right and who is not.

How about you contact Carnival Cruise Lines and see how they feel about that!

I would tend to agree with this, since the TA discount showed up on my MILs paper tickets (although they put a sticker over it, presumably to cover up this discount).

I think some folks are making valid points, but I think this is one of those subjective things that doesn't have a clear right or wrong. My 2$ (inflation)

Yeah because they are discounting from their commission when they are not suppose to! So yeah they can take it out of their paycheck if they want to!

What do you mean they arent supposed to?? If Carnival had a policy they cant or shouldnt do this then they wouldnt do it.

I booked thru Costco and those folks are on a fixed salary and they could care less if you call and ask for a price reduction (they dont get commission so it doesnt come out of their commission). Their policy is that if Carnival allows the reduction they will do it and they dont seem to care how long they are on the phone with you. They also will discount those little small fares for shorter cruises that a TA doesnt want to fool with, because its all the same to them.

Costco took down our Ecstasy cruise from $269 to $254 per person and now the cheapest is $309 for any date and my date is much higher, so Im not expecting a reduction beyond the $254 price I got. Our cruise next January has been as high as $110 pp more than what I booked at.

Lets not get carried away with sweeping judgements.

I have been a cruise agent for over 13 years. I think I know the cruiselines guidelines as far as agents and agencies go. This thread is no longer helping the OP's original question.

I would tend to agree with this, since the TA discount showed up on my MILs paper tickets (although they put a sticker over it, presumably to cover up this discount).

I think some folks are making valid points, but I think this is one of those subjective things that doesn't have a clear right or wrong. My 2$ (inflation)

yeah they dont allow it to be shown online. and they dont allow it period to be done! like i said call carnival and ask them. i KNOW they will say the same

What do you mean they arent supposed to?? If Carnival had a policy they cant or shouldnt do this then they wouldnt do it.

I booked thru Costco and those folks are on a fixed salary and they could care less if you call and ask for a price reduction (they dont get commission so it doesnt come out of their commission). Their policy is that if Carnival allows the reduction they will do it and they dont seem to care how long they are on the phone with you. They also will discount those little small fares for shorter cruises that a TA doesnt want to fool with, because its all the same to them.

Costco took down our Ecstasy cruise from $269 to $254 per person and now the cheapest is $309 for any date and my date is much higher, so Im not expecting a reduction beyond the $254 price I got. Our cruise next January has been as high as $110 pp more than what I booked at.

Lets not get carried away with sweeping judgements.

Every TA is paid a commission by Carnival, and Costco is a TA.

I don't see why TA"s discounting is an issue with you....the customer gets the lower fare. And if you book direct with Carnival, they DO NOT have to pay a TA commission, so really it hurts the TA more if you book direct with Carnival and the cruiseline is more profitable on those bookings by a minimum of 10%. And in the end, they get to keep the commission they would usually pay a TA, and you stand to pay a higher fare. But it is ultimately up to you who you decide to book your cruise with, but your logic really is backwards on this.

I have been a cruise agent for over 13 years. I think I know the cruiselines guidelines as far as agents and agencies go. This thread is no longer helping the OP's original question.

yeah and i know someone who works for carnival!!!! and they have a problem with ta's about this situation.

Every TA is paid a commission by Carnival, and Costco is a TA.

I know that...duuh!!!! But the agent/rep that is on the phone doesnt get a commission, so they dont seem to care if you ask them to book a small commission cruise. A TA I contacted pretty much told me to call a PVP she didnt want the booking, it was too small and too much trouble.

The company that the rep works for gets a commission....of course. Everyone I think here knows that.

You missed my point that the rep on the phone isnt getting extra money to book so doesnt care if they have to reduce the fare, its not out of their pocket.

I dont know how you are....but the TA I was working with really hates Carnival to start with...went on and on about the thin walls and reluctantly booked the Conquest and then cancelled it period and said she just doesnt want to deal with Carnival. Call her only if I want to book RCI. RCI is apparantly easier to deal with on her end too. Most TAs do not want to bother with small bookings. A $200 cruise on the Sovereign the TA said she only made $20 in commission, thats why a salaried person just was easier to deal with to get a little extra off.

yeah they dont allow it to be shown online. and they dont allow it period to be done! like i said call carnival and ask them. i KNOW they will say the same

That is actually not true. Carnival doesn't allow agencies to ADVERTISE discounted rates, but what they do on their own is fine, as long as they don't ADVERTISE it.

Archived