Can you not have your name announced?

flagger

When asked for a name by a host (or hostess) at a restaurant, I always give my name as Frederick Kruger, but you can call me Freddie, if you like. It gets a great laugh if they announce it on the PA.

I use Babaganoosh. When they ask how to spell it, I say "just like it sounds".

Either that or "Abe Frohman". "Mr. Creosote" brings out the Monty Python fans with a look of disgust.

My family hates going to restaurants with me.

There are certain elements in society we do not want to know our real names nor do we want attention drawn to ourselves in real life. It is our business and now that I know I could give a fake name or just bypass the announcements all together, we will do one of those choices.

Good for you! I didn't even know Disney announced one's name before reading it on the message boards...certainly different from other cruise lines. Enjoy your cruise - I think it will be so much fun for your family to cruise over Christmas - although this will be our first Disney cruise and I am positive it will be great, I bet Disney at Christmas would be really special.

There are certain elements in society we do not want to know our real names nor do we want attention drawn to ourselves in real life. It is our business and now that I know I could give a fake name or just bypass the announcements all together, we will do one of those choices.

You go flagger, it is no ones business but mine who I am or what my last name is.

I can certainly respect the right to one's privacy & all, but I'm sorta perplexed with this entire thread. Assuming the person is well-known in the public eye, and doesn't want their name announced so as not to draw attention to themselves & just wants to enjoy a relaxing cruise, wouldn't people recognize that well-known person by face anyway, especially in a contained environment such as a cruise ship?

we have cruised a couple of times with famous people. They didnt board the ship as we did. they had a special boarding since they were VP's.

Yes they were recognised around the ship but most just smiled and said Hi.

I never saw anyone following them around or bugging them.

A few did have a short conversation with the celebrity and then they left them alone. I did notice what I presumed to be bodyguards at a close distance from them everywhere they went.

I saw no problems. after the first day everyone knew there was someone famous on board and I'm sure people tried to get a glimpse of them at some point.

One time, Lynn Swan, a former pro football player was on board and he was very nice. he posed for pictures and gave autographs to people. He and his family were on an excursion with us and he acted like you and me and was treated like a regular person, not someone who was well known.

Lets face it with everyone on board, many wearing hats on deck they could go un noticed most of the time if they wanted to. Most of us are having fun with our families, not looking for famous faces in the crowd.

mom x4,grandma x4

I agree. Being the DH of a former Wonder castmember, I've been on several cruises when celebs were on board. Some times parts of the ship were 'roped off' for periods at time (which actually drew more attention to that area), but mostly the celeb went about his/her way unnoticed (except for the few of us who 'knew'). But word eventually got around towards the end of the cruises.

Well I am not active on that board anymore since I had to cut down my board participation, I was just going insane. I am waiting and hoping to get PALO at 75 days soon.

This will be our first and we are pretty sure only DCL cruise. DD is far more interested in our Hawaii, OZ adventure and Med cruise plans. She can take or leave the characters. We are just happy to get away.

We just got back from the magic about 4 hours ago. My wife just gave our first names, Maryanne and Bill. With the accent it came out, Maryanne and Bull.

If you get Palo make sure you have a very empty stomach and at least 2 hours if not more. Was excellent. We had 6:30pm the first night. After eating all that food we laid down to take a nap at 8:30pm. Never woke up again until the next day!:D

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this post.Thought there was still some comedic material left. My wife and I have similiar concerns regarding our names being announced. It seems I have this library cop who's been after me since high school. He claims I have overdue fines on The Tropic of Cancer,or was it Tropic of Capricorn? Anyway,my wife and I use aliases when we cruise. She's Mandy Lifeboats and I'm Morris Kode.

Came across this post.Thought there was still some comedic material left. My wife and I have similiar concerns regarding our names being announced. It seems I have this library cop who's been after me since high school. He claims I have overdue fines on The Tropic of Cancer,or was it Tropic of Capricorn? Anyway,my wife and I use aliases when we cruise. She's Mandy Lifeboats and I'm Morris Kode.

That might get some people moving. How about Abandone-Schipp?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

as you go across the gangplank and step onto the ship a crew member will ask you your last name and where you are from. Then as you step into the arium they will announce Welccome the Smith family from Montana and other crew members will clap for you as a welcome to the ship.

It really is fun to hear your name announced, it makes you feel extra welcome and that the cruise is about to begin.

Then a crew member will approach you and welcome you and explain where to go for lunch and answer any questions you may have or tell you where to get your answer.

Kids really get excited to hear their name announced too. If you board the first couple of hours after they start there are lots of people around so lots of clapping or hooting and hollering.

As far as I know DCL is the only one to welcome you this way.

Some people get silly with it and give false names and everyone laughs.

Last time someone said their names were the Griswalds from Chicago.

In case you never saw the movie it is from Vacation with Chevy Chase.

I have also heard The Kadlehopper family from the Ozarks.

mom x4,grandma x4

I've heard that if you wear big sunglasses, tell people not to ask you questions, wear all black every day and act differently than everyone else.... you'll blend right in. Maybe you could wear a nametag that says "Incognito"?

Seriously... why is this a big deal? If you are "famous" then you're used to using fake names at hotels, etc. If you are "infamous" I'm not sure you should be talking about yourself on a public chat forum. If you just like to pretend anyone cares who you are... I doubt they will even notice you.

Maybe your last name is Gotti or Bonds or Bin Laden or Hitler or Hilton? If so, what do you do at restaurants?

Archived