Just wondering?

tayl

I'm quite excited about my upcoming Seabourn cruise. There are only two reviews posted for the Pride-Anyone planning on posting recent reviews?

I've been reading anything I can find,and was wondering what "Atlantis" was and are there underwater port holes in the pool? Any other interesting info?

Hi, tayl. I posted one of the Pride reviews on CC, specifically because I noticed, for some odd reason, the other Seabourn ships had been reviewed often, but not the Pride. I loved it, I was on it last year to the Caribbean, and will be boarding again this November.

My sister and brother in law took an Atlantis submarine trip in St. Thomas, when we were on the Legend in April of '06. Is that what you mean, or are you asking about the Atlantis resort? The Pride does have portholes in the pool. As you are walking into the aft lounge, you can see the swimmers. So behave yourself!

Jane :p

Thanks for your response. I was on "*******" and read some posts dated 2004 & 2005. One mentioned the port holes in the pool. There was also mention of the Legend (recently aquired), not having Atlantis. The post went on to say that Atlantis has since been removed from the Pride and Spirit. I was just curious as to what Atlantis was.

I'm sure Martha would know,she appears to have a lot of knowledge about Seabourn. She's like the "Goddess" of Seabourn. I hope she can shed some light on this.

I'm glad you had a wonderful time on your cruise and for taking the time to post your thoughts in a review. Besides Seabourn, I'll be on a European cruise in the summer with another line.

Seabourn seems so enchanting and magical! I just can't wait for the Seabourn experience!

“Atlantis” was an undersea observation area built into the ship. The following is from an old Douglas Ward review of the Pride (before he was affiliated with Berlitz) from Sept/Oct 1991.

NAUTILUS LOBBY- Exit the restaurant and you'll walk aft to the main stairway, which, like a miniature atrium, twists in a reassuring circular pattern until it reaches the Leif Erickson Deck, some four decks above. The stairway also curls downward some 30 steps towards what is aptly termed the Nautilus Lobby, its walls covered in carpet that lets you know when you go beyond the ship's waterline.

At the bottom of the stairway, you're in another world, the undersea world. Its focal point is a circular glass viewing area, around which are placed a half moon shaped sofa and love seat. Here you can look down to view the marine life through the glass in the hull together with powerful underwater lights, switched on when the ship is stationary, of course, although the noise of the ship's generators keeps most fish away.

The whole area, which is large enough for a half dozen guests, is decorated in shades of turquoise, silver. There's a real freshwater aquarium, and a display of real treasure from the Runde, a Norwegian ship that was sunk in January, 1725, on its way, together with two consorts, to Batavia, on Java. Gold and silver coins, intended for use as salaries in the East Indies colonies, and for the purchase of silk and spices.

There's also a refrigerator and small bar counter, where you can help yourself to soft drinks while engrossed in this absorbing, but little used area.

“Atlantis” was removed during the last major dry-docks about three years ago with the newly freed-up space now being used for environmental equipment/machinery.

Another bit of trivia for you. The Pride had an astronomical telescope "The Star Observatory" over the two centrally located hot tubs. It still appears sporadically in some Seabourn promotional pictures.

CONSTELLATION DECK. The Star Observatory looks like a miniature version of a geodesic dome, or moon vehicle. Reached from a bridge which adjoins both sides of the running track, its entry door opens upwards. Access is somewhat tricky, but you step down into the sphere, lean back against the comfortable cushions, and observe the night sky through the telescope. Well, that's the idea, but it hasn't quite worked since the ship's inception! So, the telescope has been taken out. While the idea is innovative, it is unfortunate that the designer didn't really give thought to the Ship's motion.

Regards to all (Welcome back Eric & hugs to Martha) ;)

Adolfo,

Thanks for explaining. Seems that Seabourn has always attempted to offer something unique and different. Those are excellent concepts, especially the observatory.

It's quite interesting to hear about the history and evolvement.

I didn't see anything mentioned about an observatory on the new ship. I guess that idea has been put to rest. It would be educational to have someone lecture on astronomy, along with a telescope for viewing the night sky. In the middle of the ocean. On a beautiful yacht!

>" It would be educational to have someone lecture on astronomy, along with a telescope for viewing the night sky. In the middle of the ocean."

On my first Seabourn cruise (11/02) we were in the Carribean during one of the periods of meteor showers. (I forget which one and couldn't spell it anyway.) There was a guest lecturer with expertise in astronomy and he had us up at 4AM and lying on the deck chaises, watching the shooting stars. The ship turned off all but the most necessary lights. You are right, the night sky was astounding.

Denise,

Many years ago on the Pride during the Galley Luncheon, Eric DeGray would dress up like King Neptune ~the other Assn CD's and a few staff members would dress like: mermaids, pirates, etc. At the entrance to the dining room we were all given tickets for a "tour of Atlantis!" During our luncheon, while the band played on, all the Guests would go to the secret door........and down the stairs! When we got to the bottom, SURPRISE ~~there was a large viewing window and we could see the ocean, fish, whatever! King Neptune and his "dressed up" entourage would be the tour guides!

It was a most unforgettable experience! I was just crushed when "they" sealed in our Pride "ocean window!" (I believe it's now a supply room--:eek: ) Next time you're aboard the Pride, notice the door across from the World Globe, by the elevators~~ the entrance to the dining room (Deck 3) That was our Atlantis mystery door!

Happy Sailing!

Martita B.

Archived