Football games televised on Jewel?

ChaCha54

Wow…I'm kind of surprised at those responses.

I’ve always had great luck in finding the games. Not the smaller ones…but the bigger ones always seem to be on. They bring them in on satellite…and there are usually no commercials. Try “Maltings”…and sometimes even the TV in your cabin.

I’ve always had great luck in finding the games. Not the smaller ones…but the bigger ones always seem to be on. They bring them in on satellite…and there are usually no commercials. Try “Maltings”…and sometimes even the TV in your cabin.

Now your answer amazes me: we have cruised, maybe 10 times during football season and are big fans. Never have we seen a gamr unless we are in port (haven't yet sailed) or are only a few miles from shore. Last year on the Amsterdam, we could get football the first night. As soon as we were into the Caribbean all we got was soccer. We did get basketball the last couple of nights, but it was teams from Europe. We have sailed during pro playoff season, never gotten a game and on one cruise we couldn't even get the pro scores. The CD got them for us.

Nita

I think the key word is "big" games. I know some have shared the Super Bowl was done that way. Maybe even the BCS Championship game. I would not expect that many if any of the flood of bowl games to be carried unless they are on ESPN.

Now your answer amazes me: we have cruised, maybe 10 times during football season and are big fans. Never have we seen a gamr unless we are in port (haven't yet sailed) or are only a few miles from shore. Last year on the Amsterdam, we could get football the first night. As soon as we were into the Caribbean all we got was soccer. We did get basketball the last couple of nights, but it was teams from Europe. We have sailed during pro playoff season, never gotten a game and on one cruise we couldn't even get the pro scores. The CD got them for us.

Nita

Isn’t that funny…two completely different experiences. :confused:

We only cruise in January…and we only use Disney and NCL. Disney’s ESPN skybox is great! And although NCL’s bars don’t compare (sports wise), I can’t remember a single NFL playoff game, in the last 5 years, that wasn’t available somewhere on the ship (only been on the Pearl, Dawn, and Spirit). I’ve seen the BCS games as well, but since we never leave before then…I don’t know about the non-BCS games. I ran a search for “NFL playoffs” to make sure I wasn’t crazy…and well…I’m still crazy, but they do show the games.

Isn’t that funny…two completely different experiences. :confused:

We only cruise in January…and we only use Disney and NCL. Disney’s ESPN skybox is great! And although NCL’s bars don’t compare (sports wise), I can’t remember a single NFL playoff game, in the last 5 years, that wasn’t available somewhere on the ship (only been on the Pearl, Dawn, and Spirit). I’ve seen the BCS games as well, but since we never leave before then…I don’t know about the non-BCS games. I ran a search for “NFL playoffs” to make sure I wasn’t crazy…and well…I’m still crazy, but they do show the games.

never been our experience but I hope you are right, I will be on the Star the end of the month. I expect the games to be on the afternoon of sailing and I hope on Sunday. Of course if we are not very far out from the coast they are more likely to be picked up and we won't be. I will let you know when we get back. AS for being crazy, we all are a little.

nita

Well, thanks so much for all your replies. We are big football fans and will be happy if we can catch a game.:)

They can't show every game, and there are arguments on which game to show. Or which sport. Do not count on any game being shown. Not everyone wants to see the same game. Therefore, not many games are shown.

My family will be on the Jewel over New Year's. Normally, we don't care about missing an event on TV but there are so many bowl games over the holiday. Is there any venue onboard where these will be televised?

I would check at Pearly Kings, those bartenders should be able to advise you.

We have viewed the Superbowl on the ship and many baseball games were being shown this sumer:)

Archived